Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving in Perth

Driving in Perth

Old Oct 20th 2004, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Knocker43 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Driving in Perth

Can anyone advise me? I brought my wife & kidz out to live in the South East suburbs of Melbourne just over a year ago from Scotland (I'm a Pom, not a Scot but my wife is). We love it all, except that my wife's kind of intimidated by all the busy roads and lane hopping nutters even well out in the suburbs. Basically she'll only drive around the suburb we stay in. I gather Sydney's even busier; but she has a hankering for Perth for our next move, and my question is, are the roads around the Perth suburbs any quieter? No offence, Melburnians.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:53 am
A happy pom in Oz!

johnnie7au has a spectacular aura aboutjohnnie7au has a spectacular aura aboutjohnnie7au has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Driving in Perth

We have freeways ad stuff. Busy periods yep! But generally driving is really easy here!

Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

I would rather drive all around Perth on a really really busy day than around Bristol on a quiet day! Anytime! So much easier to navigate. No mad 'rush across twenty packed lanes cause I spotted a parking space' parkers. No 'I can't get anywhere cause there's cars in front so I'll swerve around them narrowly missing the mother and baby on the path' drivers.

Perth is like a quiet country drive compared!
Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:24 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ushas
I would rather drive all around Perth on a really really busy day than around Bristol on a quiet day! Anytime! So much easier to navigate. No mad 'rush across twenty packed lanes cause I spotted a parking space' parkers. :mad No 'I can't get anywhere cause there's cars in front so I'll swerve around them narrowly missing the mother and baby on the path' drivers. :eek

Perth is like a quiet country drive compared! :-D
Mwah, not that good in the Perth that I live in....

Plenty of swerving people. Lots of slow people in right lane, so you overtake on the wrong side....

This afternoon mayor traffic jam all through the tunnel and to about Powis st.

I guess it's probably better than Melb, Syd, and London or whatever, but if you're used to a country town...

This is my route btw:
http://www.whereis.com.au:80/whereis...rt=1&x=65&y=12
About 25 km's, and it's 35 mins drive(so this website is pretty correct)

Opossed to 35 km's in 25 mins in Holland(east of holland, not near Amsterdam!)
BUt, I didn't expect anything else moving to a city, and it's not that bad. (just frustrating when the lights change in front of your nose, and it takes about 7 minutes to go green again!! :scared: )
Old Oct 20th 2004, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

I must admit I love driving here even if it is a bit slow!

Three irritations
1. Drivers consider a cars length to be ample space when changing lanes
2. Light changes take so damm long. Bring a book or take up a mobile hobby!
3. Drivers who appear to know the secret of invisibility when speeding past multa novas whilst I get done for a poxy 3K over.

Oh and what about those damm 4WD owners who never go off road and spew fumes into the atmosphere and sit up there looking all smug......Hang on, I drive a 4WD

My journey is around 20K and is always between 30 and 35 minutes at 09:00. I should be early but I always have trouble getting the matress of me back!

My tip, be decisive, it seems to confuse 'em!

On a vaguely serious (and sometimes terrifying note) Heather drives all the time here, something that would never have happened in the UK.

Cheers all