driving in oz

Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

dave wood will become famous soon enough
Default driving in oz

hi all in oz,has anyone out there managed to get by without driving?
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving in oz

Originally Posted by dave wood

I did for over a year It's a bit of a pain if you want to go anywhere that's not on a direct bus route as it takes two or more buses or trains, but it is do-able (especially if you have no choice )

I have my P Plates now though, and much prefer it.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

dinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy
I did for over a year It's a bit of a pain if you want to go anywhere that's not on a direct bus route as it takes two or more buses or trains, but it is do-able (especially if you have no choice )

I have my P Plates now though, and much prefer it.
How easy is it to get your p plates? Is the test harder/easier than the UK one? I've had loads of lessons but gave up before my test as was stressed out with visa app/house sale/work etc. Thinking of trying again when we get there
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinky2
How easy is it to get your p plates? Is the test harder/easier than the UK one? I've had loads of lessons but gave up before my test as was stressed out with visa app/house sale/work etc. Thinking of trying again when we get there

I'm not sure of the process in Melbourne, but it was really easy in Adelaide

Will take a look and see what you have to do there, be back in a bit
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave,

In the UK I would travel everywhere by car. I think I averaged about 24,000 miles per year or thereabouts and my commute was only about 12 miles. We bought a car when we moved to Australia and used that for a two-month road trip, so we couldn't have managed that without a car. I think that it is the best way of seeing the country.

However, now that we're in South Melborne and both work within walking distance of our offices neither of us uses the car very much. I use it to go to my bass lesson once per week but given the running costs I could probably sell the motor and switch to using a taxis. The public transport in Melbourne is excellent. In the UK I learned to drive because I couldn't rely on public transport, here I take the bus, train or tram because it is usally quicker than driving.

This probably doesn't answer your question, but hopefully it will give you an idea.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

dinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nicedinky2 is just really nice

I'm not sure of the process in Melbourne, but it was really easy in Adelaide

Will take a look and see what you have to do there, be back in a bit
Thanks! Really appreciate it as this is one thing that's really bugging me!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Johnsyweb
Hi Dave,

In the UK I would travel everywhere by car. I think I averaged about 24,000 miles per year or thereabouts and my commute was only about 12 miles. We bought a car when we moved to Australia and used that for a two-month road trip, so we couldn't have managed that without a car. I think that it is the best way of seeing the country.

However, now that we're in South Melborne and both work within walking distance of our offices neither of us uses the car very much. I use it to go to my bass lesson once per week but given the running costs I could probably sell the motor and switch to using a taxis. The public transport in Melbourne is excellent. In the UK I learned to drive because I couldn't rely on public transport, here I take the bus, train or tram because it is usally quicker than driving.

This probably doesn't answer your question, but hopefully it will give you an idea.
Sounds promising for a none-driver heading to Melbourne, thanks!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry to hijack your thread by the way!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks! Really appreciate it as this is one thing that's really bugging me!

OK here's what you have to do:

Apply for your L Plates (which include sitting a theory test) http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...GettingYourLs/ (practise questions: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...cenceTests.htm)

Once you have that, you need a supervising driver. That is anyone who has held a full licence for over 2 years. http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...experience.htm

Anyone under 21 needs to do 120 hours of driving before they can sit a test, anyone over that doesn't need that much.

You will need to pass a hazard perception test: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...eptionTest.htm

then a driving test: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...gTestGuide.htm

and that's it, you'll then get P Plates and can drrive on your own (sounds harder than it is )
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

OK here's what you have to do:

Apply for your L Plates (which include sitting a theory test) http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...GettingYourLs/ (practise questions: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...cenceTests.htm)

Once you have that, you need a supervising driver. That is anyone who has held a full licence for over 2 years. http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...experience.htm

Anyone under 21 needs to do 120 hours of driving before they can sit a test, anyone over that doesn't need that much.

You will need to pass a hazard perception test: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...eptionTest.htm

then a driving test: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...gTestGuide.htm

and that's it, you'll then get P Plates and can drrive on your own (sounds harder than it is )
Brilliant thanks!Am well over 21 so no probs there!! Best get swotting up on my Oz theory then
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Brilliant thanks!Am well over 21 so no probs there!! Best get swotting up on my Oz theory then

I practised them for an hour before I went to sit the test, seemed to help a lot
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Impossible I would have thought Dave.

Dave
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:45 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

yes OH has been there a year and uses public transport in Sydney
Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Hi Dave hows it going so where did you decide on are you in Brisbane or did you decide on Perth. Well wherever you are hope you are enjoying life down under
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

dave wood will become famous soon enough

Thanks for replies,we are still in Oldham but have booked one way june 23rd to Brisbane.The driving issue is for my wife Rebecca she has a license but is
not confident if its busy.A friend called round this week and mentioned the traffic in Brisbane.I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

Dave