Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving Once in Australia

Driving Once in Australia

Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Sean and Louise is just really niceSean and Louise is just really niceSean and Louise is just really niceSean and Louise is just really niceSean and Louise is just really niceSean and Louise is just really niceSean and Louise is just really niceSean and Louise is just really niceSean and Louise is just really nice
Question Driving Once in Australia

Hi,

Are we aloud to drive when we get off the plane in Australia.
Can we drive on an English driving licence.

Thanks Sean
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:39 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Once in Australia

Originally Posted by Sean and Louise
Hi,

Thanks Sean
Yes, state laws vary on how long you can drive on a foreign licence if you are a resident though.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Sean and Louise is just really niceSean and Louise is just really niceSean and Louise is just really niceSean and Louise is just really niceSean and Louise is just really niceSean and Louise is just really niceSean and Louise is just really niceSean and Louise is just really niceSean and Louise is just really nice

Thanks for the quick reply.

Cheers Sean
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road

I believe (in WA anyway - not sure if applies to rest of Oz) that if you have a valid UK licence you simply pay a fee to have it changed for an Australian licence. I think this was a change from previous where you had to do a 30 question test before getting a licence.

Apologies if i'm incorrect in this it's just how I understand it.
Regards

James
Old Jun 21st 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Yes. But you have to keep your photo licence and the paper bit with you in the car at all times.... A cop threatened to arrest me when I had popped out to the shops without mine and then got pulled over for a random breath test!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Katherined0
Yes. But you have to keep your photo licence and the paper bit with you in the car at all times.... A cop threatened to arrest me when I had popped out to the shops without mine and then got pulled over for a random breath test!
Just a note: the requirement to carry your licence whilst driving varies between the states. Also the rules vary for different types of drivers (i.e. P-plates, car drivers and truck drivers).

In Vic the law changed this year and drivers under 26 have to carry their licence. And under the existing rules, I think P-platers have to carry their licence and truck drivers have to carry their licence if they are more than 100k from their base of operations.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jun 21st 2007 at 11:06 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:21 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Yes, state laws vary on how long you can drive on a foreign licence if you are a resident though.
It's 3 months after the issue of a 'permanent' visa in QLD.

I took this to mean PR but apparently plod have their own interpretations, which reminds me, I really must get mine changed over ...
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:37 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

In NSW an english person who is on HOLIDAYS can stay driving on their UK licence for up to 12 months. You must ALWAYS carry your licence with you in NSW when you are driving.

If you are someone who has emigrated (ie you are becoming a full time resident of Australia) you can only drive on your UK licence for 3 months - after this time you must have a NSW drivers licence issued.

Depending on your class of licence you can simply go into a NSW Roads and Traffic Authority office (there is one in most towns) and have a NSW licence issued. they will obviously charge you for it but you don't need to do any tests or anything (this changed recently as up until a few years ago you had to undertake a driving test before you could swap your UK licence for a NSW one.

What I am unclear on is what they do with your UK licence when you swap it for A NSW licence.

A similar system operates in the UK where an NSW licence holder can get a UK licence without doing any tests - BUT the UK gov't then send your NSW licence back to Australia and it is cancelled.

I am not sure whether the NSW system requires that you have your UK licence cancelled when you are issues a NSW one.

In either case it doesn't make much difference - if you go back to the UK and want a UK licence you can simply swap your currnet NSW one as above.

Hope all that makes sense!

A
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 1:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
If you are someone who has emigrated (ie you are becoming a full time resident of Australia) you can only drive on your UK licence for 3 months - after this time you must have a NSW drivers licence issued.
If you are on most types of temporary visa the 3 month limit does not apply in NSW, unless they have changed the rules recently. Note that foreign licence must remain valid.

What I am unclear on is what they do with your UK licence when you swap it for A NSW licence.

A similar system operates in the UK where an NSW licence holder can get a UK licence without doing any tests - BUT the UK gov't then send your NSW licence back to Australia and it is cancelled.

I am not sure whether the NSW system requires that you have your UK licence cancelled when you are issues a NSW one.

In either case it doesn't make much difference - if you go back to the UK and want a UK licence you can simply swap your currnet NSW one as above.
Unless things have changed recently, NSW just endorse a UK licence to say that a NSW licence has been issued. And it would make a difference if you went to a third country that recognises UK licences but not Australian.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
In NSW an english person who is on HOLIDAYS can stay driving on their UK licence for up to 12 months. You must ALWAYS carry your licence with you in NSW when you are driving.

Depending on your class of licence you can simply go into a NSW Roads and Traffic Authority office (there is one in most towns) and have a NSW licence issued. they will obviously charge you for it but you don't need to do any tests or anything (this changed recently as up until a few years ago you had to undertake a driving test before you could swap your UK licence for a NSW one.

Hope all that makes sense!

A

I heard that they would holepunch your UK license, so it was still legible but not legal? This happened to a couple of friends of ours. (But they just requested new cards from the UK, and got them, so it was fine!)
But when we switched ours over a couple of months ago they just used our UK ones for ID & proof of details, then handed them back to us.

It strikes me as strange that you can't keep your UK license (if that is the case) because regardless of having moved countries you still took the test and passed in the UK, and drove there for however many years. If I went back to the UK and got a hire car I would want to do it on my UK license! Or if I went abroad, I would want to have my UK license, especially in Europe. So lucky for me I've still got it!
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 3:43 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Driving Once in Australia

Originally Posted by esperanza
I heard that they would holepunch your UK license, so it was still legible but not legal? This happened to a couple of friends of ours. (But they just requested new cards from the UK, and got them, so it was fine!)
But when we switched ours over a couple of months ago they just used our UK ones for ID & proof of details, then handed them back to us.

It strikes me as strange that you can't keep your UK license (if that is the case) because regardless of having moved countries you still took the test and passed in the UK, and drove there for however many years. If I went back to the UK and got a hire car I would want to do it on my UK license! Or if I went abroad, I would want to have my UK license, especially in Europe. So lucky for me I've still got it!
I wasn't allowed to keep my Australian license when I applied for a UK one. I had to surrender it to the DVLA.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 4:40 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unless things have changed recently, NSW just endorse a UK licence to say that a NSW licence has been issued. And it would make a difference if you went to a third country that recognises UK licences but not Australian.
They don't hole punch any more, you get it back unaltered...
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I wasn't allowed to keep my Australian license when I applied for a UK one. I had to surrender it to the DVLA.
That just seems like such a strange rule to me! Are you allowed to swap them back again if you want to leave?
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sean and Louise
Hi,

Thanks Sean
Yes, you can drive no problems on your UK licence. HOWEVER, you have to forget completely all the rules of the road: drive at least 20ks below the limit except in car parks where you have to go at least 30kph, stop for at least 5 seconds at all roundabouts even when there is nothing around and wait for something to approach then hare out in front of it, don't even think about slowing down at traffic lights unless they have been red for a couple of seconds, change lanes erratically on all main roads and completely ignore the fact that there may be other road users! That is in Sydney anyway
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yanH
Yes, you can drive no problems on your UK licence. HOWEVER, you have to forget completely all the rules of the road: drive at least 20ks below the limit except in car parks where you have to go at least 30kph, stop for at least 5 seconds at all roundabouts even when there is nothing around and wait for something to approach then hare out in front of it, don't even think about slowing down at traffic lights unless they have been red for a couple of seconds, change lanes erratically on all main roads and completely ignore the fact that there may be other road users! That is in Sydney anyway
and on the Gold Coast. I nearly got wiped out today from a complete and utter tosser, who thought it was perfectly acceptable to turn right from a left turn only lane on a roundabout, that was after he nearly clipped me joining the roundabout in the first place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.