Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving in my car

Driving in my car

Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in my car

I love driving in my car especially roads with lots of bends and twists and turns - challenging roads/country lanes/precipices - hate motorways they make me nervous. I haven't driven in Oz yet (moving over 1 August to Adelaide) and had a discussion with me rellies who think I am mad to not want an automatic car (boring to drive) cos it's much easier - my niece even said it made her arm ache to change gear. I was trying to think of areas that are not wide open roads (which I will also enjoy on my way up to Flinders etc) and could only think of the Chain of Ponds in South Australia - anyone driven this and not felt sick - luverly interesting road. It really is twisty/turny. I know that Aussie driving will have its own pleasures - off roading, less traffic the vast open roads etc and I can't wait for that. Anyone out there miss European driving and got their thoughts on automatics vv gear sticks and any driving tips and general hints on cars/roads/driving.

Elaine
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Driving in my car

Originally posted by grubelice
I love driving in my car especially roads with lots of bends and twists and turns - challenging roads/country lanes/precipices - hate motorways they make me nervous. I haven't driven in Oz yet (moving over 1 August to Adelaide) and had a discussion with me rellies who think I am mad to not want an automatic car (boring to drive) cos it's much easier - my niece even said it made her arm ache to change gear. I was trying to think of areas that are not wide open roads (which I will also enjoy on my way up to Flinders etc) and could only think of the Chain of Ponds in South Australia - anyone driven this and not felt sick - luverly interesting road. It really is twisty/turny. I know that Aussie driving will have its own pleasures - off roading, less traffic the vast open roads etc and I can't wait for that. Anyone out there miss European driving and got their thoughts on automatics vv gear sticks and any driving tips and general hints on cars/roads/driving.

Elaine
Hi Elaine

I found, when I went for a holiday in February, that I was alot more wary driving over there than I was here because most of the roads are either 2 or 3 lanes, whereas over here, most are only 1 lane unless driving on the motorway. It took me a while to get used to people passing me on both sides of the car, and people tend to drive alot faster over there as well (this was in Melbourne).

I've decided to buy an automatic rather than a manual. Not really sure why, but it is much easier to drive an automatic. It's only since I've been living in the UK that I've driven a manual, always had automatics when I was living in Australia.

Regards
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 1:03 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in my car

Originally posted by grubelice

Elaine
bloody chain of pond s wait till you have to take a semi through there with a 42ft trailer on the back now thats exciting ...... MM
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

My feelings are that automatics are OK on decent size engines, small cars and auto boxes are boring and OK for town driving stuff. Had a Supra Turbo (3L) with auto and sport mode.
You needed two hands on steering wheel so you could clench your cheeks. !!

Found the best driving technique in Perth was everyman for himself.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Just got back from Brisbane yesterday.

I got a Falcon 4.0 this time and absolutely hated the bloody thing. To make a 4.0 with no guts is quite an achievement. You need to have sailing experience not just to steer the heap of cr*p but because you need to throw an anchor out the back to slow down. It was so bad that getting into my 99 Volvo (no jokes please) felt like getting into a brand new car.

Sorry about that, had to have a quick rant. Objectively it was a rental and so had probably had a tough life even at 49,000 kilometers.

Generally non imports are pretty reasonable but watch out for extra taxes and charges although there are deals available. Imports are 'min expensive. The standard equipment levels are pretty poor compared to European models.

As far as driving is concerned, I found it pretty civilised with the only hassle being the road trains. They seem to be immune to speed limits. I was "gatsoed" in Queensland and the tolerance for speeding seems pretty low. BTW they don't paint their cameras and use quite a few mobile set ups.

As far as auto V stick goes I guess it depends on why you are driving. I do a weekly 200 k drive to Ipswich from Surrey and much prefer an auto especially if the M25 does it's usual impression of a car park. If you are towing or going off road, I'd suspect a manual would be better.

Personally I'm going for a Mitsubishi Challenger 4x4 3.0 V6 auto about $40,000.

All the best

Nick
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 4:48 pm
Badge

My 14 year old EA 1989 3.9l Ford Falcon was fast enough to overtake Roadtrains in WA. One of the reasons why you need the big engine, eh.

It is probably true to say that the Ford is slow compared to say a European sports saloon 4.0l, but it is not too bad.

badgers