Reload this Page >

Driving miss daisy...

Driving miss daisy...

Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Timvic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving miss daisy...

Hi,

just wondering what peoples feelings/ attitudes are to driving in Oz.
I have been driving in England for 17years without a speeding ticket, but since iv'e been in Oz have recieved 2 speeding fines and 6 points on my liscence within 10 months.

Driving like my Nan would and having a 20 tonne truck 6ft up my arse on the freeway really does my head in. If you speed up over 110kph you get fined if you carry on you risk getting killed. Both times i have been caught speeding the real cause is people trying to kiss my bumper without actually having the balls to overtake with fear of getting caught themselves.

Now i just drive like a muppet and can't wait to go back to England in July just so i can drive like normal sensible adult would.

Is it me or is this a nanny country dictating what it's citizens should and shouldn't be allowed to do?

Any input would be gratefully recieved for my sanity.

Thanks.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Timvic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving miss daisy...

A warning to everyone in England.

Try driving at the actual speed limit everywhere you go for at least a month, that way you will have a clue as to what to expect here in Oz.

This is no joke, if you speed you will pay for it. Sounds easy to stick to the speed limit but it isn't. Trust me just try it for the day and tell me how much it does your head in.

Tim
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:44 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timvic
Hi,

just wondering what peoples feelings/ attitudes are to driving in Oz.
I have been driving in England for 17years without a speeding ticket, but since iv'e been in Oz have recieved 2 speeding fines and 6 points on my liscence within 10 months.

Driving like my Nan would and having a 20 tonne truck 6ft up my arse on the freeway really does my head in. If you speed up over 110kph you get fined if you carry on you risk getting killed. Both times i have been caught speeding the real cause is people trying to kiss my bumper without actually having the balls to overtake with fear of getting caught themselves.

Now i just drive like a muppet and can't wait to go back to England in July just so i can drive like normal sensible adult would.

Is it me or is this a nanny country dictating what it's citizens should and shouldn't be allowed to do?

Any input would be gratefully recieved for my sanity.

Thanks.
Yep, they drive like pedantic old gits over here. I always drive just under 10kph over the speed limit and have never been caught. At this speed there is no demerit points if caught. Even though I have been flashed/scanned at this speed I have never been fined. I'm seriously looking at getting a radar detector as these are still legal in WA.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

laidbackfreak is a jewel in the roughlaidbackfreak is a jewel in the roughlaidbackfreak is a jewel in the roughlaidbackfreak is a jewel in the rough

dont get me started on this... been here since begining of december ona reccie... picked up one speeding ticket $291 but luckily no points on international licence.... was one of the few occasions id been speeding... was cruising down hill on 110kph road without paying attention... id love to know what speed the cop did to catch me tho... he was going in opositte direction n up behind me inside 5 mins !! and trust me there were no clear uturns for a long way.....
that aside i find the speeds SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont mind rounds schools etc but for the life of me on main highways when u dont see a car for miles or hours its painfully slow... n no real sense too it... same speed on multi carriage as single track... !!
sigh....... lol
Old Mar 13th 2007, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

You know what, without wishing to cause a huge argument, I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who speed and get caught. If you don't want to get caught, then don't speed. Sure it might take some adjustment if you're used to getting away with it in the UK, but that's all part of the process.
The debate about what the limits should be and why they should be those speeds is a whole other issue - the point is that the limits exist and so you should stick to them. You wouldn't expect to get away with breaking the law in other situations.
Deal with it, learn from it and move on, don't let it constantly upset you.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

laidbackfreak is a jewel in the roughlaidbackfreak is a jewel in the roughlaidbackfreak is a jewel in the roughlaidbackfreak is a jewel in the rough

i dont advocate speeding at all... i was within the limits of what in uk id expect to get a warning at most.... without even being aware i was speeding.... ive been struggling to keep the car down to the limits imposed... but i will and have learned from it..... foot is almost permantly on the brake pedal now
the funny thing i find is the ozzies really love there big v8 cars yet have no where to use em...... and yet they complain constantly bout cost of petrol.....
Old Mar 13th 2007, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laidbackfreak
the funny thing i find is the ozzies really love there big v8 cars yet have no where to use em...... and yet they complain constantly bout cost of petrol.....
Weirdos!