Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving In Melbourne - Uk Holder

Driving In Melbourne - Uk Holder

Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:20 am
Just Joined

ajruk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving In Melbourne - Uk Holder

Hi, Can anyone answer this for me. I have held a UK license for 12 years. I am moving to Melbourne for 2 years on a student visa, and then I intend to stay afterwards. I know I need to do something to allow me to drive for 2 years+, but what? Is it just a matter of exchanging my license or do I NEED to resit my test. I can cope with either, but my mrs took 6 times to pass in uk, and is an atrocious driver, and will probably never pass again. Therefore I am hoping for her sake, it is just a matter of trading it in!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Driving In Melbourne - Uk Holder

Originally Posted by ajruk
Hi, Can anyone answer this for me. I have held a UK license for 12 years. I am moving to Melbourne for 2 years on a student visa, and then I intend to stay afterwards. I know I need to do something to allow me to drive for 2 years+, but what? Is it just a matter of exchanging my license or do I NEED to resit my test. I can cope with either, but my mrs took 6 times to pass in uk, and is an atrocious driver, and will probably never pass again. Therefore I am hoping for her sake, it is just a matter of trading it in!

You will get different responses to this.

I was in Melbourne for 2.5 years and remained on the UK license and never had an issue despite being pulled for speeding a few times (not that difficult!). I don;t think there is any need to retake the test but I think that after a period of time living there, if you are still on a UK license and you do decide to change, you then have to retake your test. Thus it would be better to find out if I'm right on this and what this timeline is.

Individual states may also have individual rules so it would probably depend on your intended destination.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Sounds fair! It would be Victoria. Does anyone know the rules for there????????????????????????????????????????
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:02 am
ABCDiamond

It depends on the Visa you on.

Permanent Resident
A Permanent Resident is normally allowed to drive for 3 months before needing an Australian Licence, after that period they would be classed as driving without a valid licence.

Visitors
A person on a Visitors Visa does not have to abide by the same rules, and would be allowed to drive a private vehicle on a valid CURRENT driving licence from their own country, for as long as they have a valid visitors visa.

Visiting motorists are required to carry their licence (and English translation if applicable) at all times while driving and produce it to Police on request. Production of their temporary visas may also be required as evidence of their temporary residential status.

Driving in Victoria, Australia

New arrivals from the UK, and other selected countries

If you are the holder of a Private Vehicle Licence from the UK and other 'recognised countries', you are not required to sit the road rules theory test or the motorcycle theory test (if applicable), nor a road test.

Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Okay, so techincally while on a student visa, it is a visitors visa?? Is that right??? Also, can I exchange it for an australian one after getting permanent residency, or would I need to resit my test?

Thanks
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:13 am
Finally in Melbourne!

ittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really nice

Okay, so techincally while on a student visa, it is a visitors visa?? Is that right??? Also, can I exchange it for an australian one after getting permanent residency, or would I need to resit my test?

Thanks
Sorry didn't come over on a student visa - ours was a permanent one but just to let you know, we didn't have to resit a test we just booked an appointment at Vic Roads, filled in forms, had a photo taken, handed over the cash and got our licence - really straight forward.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Excellent that's great news! Thanks for that
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know about Vic but the only test they may give you is an eyesight test otherwise it is a pay through the nose 5 year renewal job. If perchance you do go back to UK you just do the exchange thing in reverse.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 11:02 am
Just Joined

nicklizhumphreys is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Driving In Melbourne - Uk Holder

Hi all, I guess we are in the same boat to we are due to move to Adelaide in Jan 09 to live anyone have advise on this and also if for example we are still driving around on a UK lience after 3 months and we have some sort of smash, would our insurance be invalid?

Love to hear from someone
Old Nov 13th 2008, 11:38 am
Just Joined

S and L is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have a similar query. I will be going to Melbourne on holiday to activate my permanent Residents Visa. Is the 3 months from that date or will I still be able to use it for 3 months when I move across permanently.

THanks
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

nick, are you studying in adelaide?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

nicklizhumphreys is an unknown quantity at this point

nick, are you studying in adelaide?
no My wife has a job (reason for the move) and I will try and get work myself.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by S and L
Hi, I have a similar query. I will be going to Melbourne on holiday to activate my permanent Residents Visa. Is the 3 months from that date or will I still be able to use it for 3 months when I move across permanently.

THanks
It's 3 months from when you take up residency (so when you move properly)
Old Nov 13th 2008, 11:37 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by nicklizhumphreys
Hi all, I guess we are in the same boat to we are due to move to Adelaide in Jan 09 to live anyone have advise on this and also if for example we are still driving around on a UK lience after 3 months and we have some sort of smash, would our insurance be invalid?

Love to hear from someone
After 3 months you would be classed as "Driving without a valid licence" and subject to Police Prosecution if caught. (I did it, got caught, and paid up)

Insurance companies do have the option to disallow any claims, under that condition aswell.

As far as the police are concerned, it is 3 months from the date of entry on a residents visa.
The fact that a person returns to the UK "for a holiday", after taking up residency, is of no consequence to them.

As soon as you arrive, get an Australian licence, it is safer.

Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
As far as the police are concerned, it is 3 months from the date of entry on a residents visa.
The fact that a person returns to the UK "for a holiday", after taking up residency, is of no consequence to them.

As soon as you arrive, get an Australian licence, it is safer.
Visiting the state for a short vacation, even if you have a permanent visa, does not constitute taking up residence.

Without an address in the state, you can't even get a licence if you want one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.