British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Driving Melbourne to Sydney (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/driving-melbourne-sydney-409947/)

Mr Pants Nov 24th 2006 8:46 pm

Driving Melbourne to Sydney

Am thinking of driving from Melbourne to Sydney in January through the Snowy Mountains.

Are there any serious must do's and must sees? Does anyone have any fantastic B&B recommendations along the way?

Thanks

Ozzidoc Nov 24th 2006 9:07 pm

Re: Driving Melbourne to Sydney

Originally Posted by Mr Pants
Am thinking of driving from Melbourne to Sydney in January through the Snowy Mountains.

Are there any serious must do's and must sees? Does anyone have any fantastic B&B recommendations along the way?

Thanks

I cant help you specifically, but which way were you thinking of driving? The Snowys are quite a detour. Lovely experience tho.

Vanessa Nov 24th 2006 9:10 pm

I would be interested in the responses to this. i am driving up there on Wednesday with a girlfriend who has just arrived from the UK. We were thinking about going up the coastal route and coming back via the Hume Hwy.

Mr Pants Nov 24th 2006 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I cant help you specifically, but which way were you thinking of driving? The Snowys are quite a detour. Lovely experience tho.

From Melbourne to Sydney, got about a week so a good detour is no problem.

NickyP Nov 24th 2006 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Vanessa
I would be interested in the responses to this. i am driving up there on Wednesday with a girlfriend who has just arrived from the UK. We were thinking about going up the coastal route and coming back via the Hume Hwy.

You will pass us on your way home then :beer: .
Nicky

TraceyW Nov 24th 2006 11:24 pm

We did that last year. We didn't go via the Snowy's though but took the Princes (I think). Lovely drive and saw some amazing countryside. I now understand why the called it NSW!! There is one place where there are lots of lakes joining together, can't remember the name, but beautiful to see.

We stopped halfway in a small town called Eden. Nice chinese along the high street!

Have fun

Teliko21 Nov 24th 2006 11:33 pm

We did this in March, drove up to Sydney via Jindabyne, Mt. Buller, Snowy Mountains, Canberra and then back to Melb via the coast. This is our itinerary for those interested.

Night 1. Mansfield at the Greenvale Holiday Units. From memory they were very clean, they have some adorable dogs and a kitten when we were there. I think the rooms are built in a converted stable block and they had a pool and lovely gardens. Highly recommended from here is a trip up Mt. Buller for the sunset but watch out for all the animals on the way back in the dark, we were going an average speed of 10km/h all the way down and it took about 2.5hrs or something :scared:

Night 2. Jindabyne at Nettin Chalet. Pretty basic and watch out as everything in the town closes at about 6pm so you may struggle to get any food. A beautiful town though and if you like cable cars, the cable cars at Thredbo are open even in summer but from memory it costs $25 for a one way trip each so we didn't bother with that :)

Night 3-4 Canberra at the Olims Hotel. I think it is one of the oldest hotels in Canberra, a beautiful hotel and all the rooms have just been redecorated etc etc so it was great! Pretty centrally located from memory so we could go do some of the sights.

Night 5-9. we were in Sydney staying with friends. On the way we stopped at Hume's Cottage (Cooma Cottage in Yass) which you will find interesting if you like history :)

Night 10. Ulladulla at the Ulladulla Guest House. Luxurious! The weather was crappy so we were glad they had a selection of DVDs etc you could borrow. Did get to get to Lake Conjola though.

Night 11. Merimbula at the Kingfisher Motel. Pretty basic but they hand feed native birds so there is always a selection you can see from your balcony. Had a spectacular storm here so again the weather was pretty awful. On the way we had a stop at Bateman's Bay for lunch. If you like crazy golf you can play in Merimbula :D

Night 12. Lakes Entrance at Tambo Lodge. Eden is well worth a stop on the way, museums here about the oldwhale catching industry and a big orca skeleton to look at (Big Tom?). The weather was basically awful here as well but we did find a nice Mexican restaurant.

We then drove straight back to Melb the next day as the weather was so awful, with a quick visit to Wilsons Prom.

Pictures here if interested

PS if you are interested in the hydroelectric stuff in the Snowy mountains, it is only open on certain days for tours from memory so this will need forward planning if you want to visit it. Also, a visit to Hume Weir is worth it, if there is any water in it. :rolleyes:

Ozzidoc Nov 25th 2006 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Pants
From Melbourne to Sydney, got about a week so a good detour is no problem.

LOL - I obviously should asked my question more clearly. Are you indending on taking an inland route or coastal?

Mr Pants Nov 25th 2006 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
LOL - I obviously should asked my question more clearly. Are you indending on taking an inland route or coastal?

We want to take in the Snowy mtns, but are open to all route suggestions.

Vanessa Nov 26th 2006 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by NickyP
You will pass us on your way home then :beer: .
Nicky

On the way up as well - have decided to stop in Albury for the night and do a Murray River Cruise. Are you open for coffee!!!!