Reload this Page >

Driving from Melbourne to Mackay QLD - advice please

Wikiposts

Driving from Melbourne to Mackay QLD - advice please

Old Feb 19th 2006, 5:21 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving from Melbourne to Mackay QLD - advice please

Originally Posted by haggis supper
4 of us - my wife and I and 2 kids - 4 and 6 years. We recently drove to/from Wagga Wagga (6/7 hour drive) and the kids loved it. We set off early, stopped every 3 hours and they watched dvd's, played games (we put together some adventure books/I spy/things to do etc etc. We put the car on cruise control, put the Ipod on via the radio and talked etc - seems the only time my wife and I talk at length is in the car on long journeys !

Our car is on a lease scheme so all fuel is paid for. I also need to get km's on the clock for FBT reasons so that helps. We've both always wanted to drive across Oz (sadistic pleasure perhaps) but obviously concerned that this may be too much in a short period and is 3-4 days in the car with the kids asking too much of them - just to save $1800.

Cheers,
Col

we drove all the way to Mackay......then back in the same day...they mucked up our accomodation and there was no similar places on offer...plus hubby was well pissed off he just wanted to go home. If you enjoy driving then it shouldnt be too bad for you, but the kids mite get fed up, when the have seen enough dvd's etc...........I know mine were bored stiff but then we didnt have dvd's etc just books....we stopped regularly which proved quite an expensive excercise also....suppose its a peosonal thing, nobody knows your kids like you do......best of luck with it.......Come into Yeppoon on ur way past lol....mind you that would be a bit silly as it would add another 60km onto your journey
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving from Melbourne to Mackay QLD - advice please

Originally Posted by haggis supper
4 of us - my wife and I and 2 kids - 4 and 6 years. We recently drove to/from Wagga Wagga (6/7 hour drive) and the kids loved it. We set off early, stopped every 3 hours and they watched dvd's, played games (we put together some adventure books/I spy/things to do etc etc. We put the car on cruise control, put the Ipod on via the radio and talked etc - seems the only time my wife and I talk at length is in the car on long journeys !

Our car is on a lease scheme so all fuel is paid for. I also need to get km's on the clock for FBT reasons so that helps. We've both always wanted to drive across Oz (sadistic pleasure perhaps) but obviously concerned that this may be too much in a short period and is 3-4 days in the car with the kids asking too much of them - just to save $1800.

Cheers,
Col
Great that you don't have a fuel expense - but you would still need 4-5 nights accomodation on the road, plus 5-6 days food - that must come in at near on 600 bucks for a family of 4?

Remember that it's 3-4 days EACH way - and the journey back is the same one there - pretty uninspiring once the novelty has worn off!! (No pretty coastal highwayand the Vic/NSW stretch is mainly thru farmland.)

Don't get me wrong, driving across Oz is the best way to see Oz but if you're not venturing off the highway or visiting places, you won't get to appreciate half as much as what it has to offer.

I know each of us is different but personally, I feel that 6-7hrs driving is vastly different to 10 hrs for 3 days solid. Yiu go to bed knackered knowing you've got to do the same the next day...and the next...without any side trips or decent length stops. But plenty of people do it I guess so it boils down to personal wants.

Have you considered/budgeted for part fly/part drive?

Good luck