Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving from Melbourne to Great Ocean Road

Driving from Melbourne to Great Ocean Road

Old Sep 23rd 2007, 2:34 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving from Melbourne to Great Ocean Road

Guys, we've got a friend from Sydney coming over next weekend for a visit. We have an appt in Tarneit (West of the city) at 12-1 on Saturday then are free for the day. How long would it take us to drive from there to the Great Ocan Road? Is it worth the drive to only be there for a short time. Obviously we'd only see a wee bit of it but we thought it would be a good way to spend the afternoon and then maybe have a proper trip there some other time. Any other ideas on good tourist things to do on a Sat afternoon?

cheers
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 2:37 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving from Melbourne to Great Ocean Road

Originally Posted by herrchook
Guys, we've got a friend from Sydney coming over next weekend for a visit. We have an appt in Tarneit (West of the city) at 12-1 on Saturday then are free for the day. How long would it take us to drive from there to the Great Ocan Road? Is it worth the drive to only be there for a short time. Obviously we'd only see a wee bit of it but we thought it would be a good way to spend the afternoon and then maybe have a proper trip there some other time. Any other ideas on good tourist things to do on a Sat afternoon?

cheers
Hi Herrchook

It takes about 3 hours to get to Apollo Bay (at least with my driving). I think that driving there and back in a day would not be the best way to experience the GOR. I would do something else. Howabout get riotously drunk in a pub whilst watching the AFL final?
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 5:14 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it worth the drive to only be there for a short time. Obviously we'd only see a wee bit of it but we thought it would be a good way to spend the afternoon and then maybe have a proper trip there some other time. Any other ideas on good tourist things to do on a Sat afternoon?
Try and do the Great Ocean Road in one day and you are going to completely miss out on the point of this awesome War Memorial.

If you enjoy some fresh air and the beauty of Victorias Parks, from Tarneit, it's only an hours drive to the Brisbane Ranges National Park.
Some nice easy bushwalking in a beautiful environment. A much better option than spending hours in the car and not really seeing anything.
Park Guide attached....

Best way to enjoy TGOR from Melbourne is to make a weekend out of it with an overnight in Apollo Bay or someplace like that along the way.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
05_0296.pdf (680.2 KB, 174 views)
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 11:29 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

cheers
The whole road is near impossible in a day....too much to stop and see. But, you could get to Lorne and back easily in a day. Or the Bellarine peninsula: Queenscliff, Barwon heads etc.

Also on your side of the city, a drive to Ballarat is easy, 1-1.5 hours, so you could do Sovereign Hill
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 11:44 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Hi Herrchook

It takes about 3 hours to get to Apollo Bay (at least with my driving). I think that driving there and back in a day would not be the best way to experience the GOR. I would do something else. Howabout get riotously drunk in a pub whilst watching the AFL final?
I like your thinking. How's life treating you, would be really nice to catch up sometime if you're free?
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 11:45 am
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by @boy
T

If you enjoy some fresh air and the beauty of Victorias Parks, from Tarneit, it's only an hours drive to the Brisbane Ranges National Park.
Some nice easy bushwalking in a beautiful environment. A much better option than spending hours in the car and not really seeing anything.
Park Guide attached....
Great tip mate, thanks, will look into that.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 11:47 am
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
The whole road is near impossible in a day....too much to stop and see. But, you could get to Lorne and back easily in a day. Or the Bellarine peninsula: Queenscliff, Barwon heads etc.

Also on your side of the city, a drive to Ballarat is easy, 1-1.5 hours, so you could do Sovereign Hill
Yeah, I thought it would be, it's just hard to get the scale of it from the maps and my memory of when I last did it (14 yrs ago) is a bit fuzzy lol. Like the Ballarat idea, will look at that one too. Cheers
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 11:49 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I thought it would be, it's just hard to get the scale of it from the maps and my memory of when I last did it (14 yrs ago) is a bit fuzzy lol. Like the Ballarat idea, will look at that one too. Cheers
You could get to the Bellarine peninsula in about an hour and have a look round there.