Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving from Mel - Cairns

Driving from Mel - Cairns

Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

jbwilliamz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving from Mel - Cairns

Ola folks, here in Melbourne for the last 8 weeks and lookign to rent a campervan and drive from here to Cairns, anyone done anything simular?!

Some ideas on duration and price?
Camper would cost around $1200 for 4 weeks ish...

Duration?! is that long enough? do we need more time?!

Cheers!!
Jb
Old Nov 21st 2008, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Driving from Mel - Cairns

We have drove to Brisbane but you are probably looking at nearly twice the distance to Cairns. We prefered to get to our destination asap so only stopped one night which was just over half way in Coonabarabran (sp) I think 4 weeks will give you plenty of time. Just be careful if you are thinking of driving at night, there are a lot of roos on the road and you could end up writing the car off.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

johnthepom1 is just really nicejohnthepom1 is just really nicejohnthepom1 is just really nicejohnthepom1 is just really nicejohnthepom1 is just really nicejohnthepom1 is just really nicejohnthepom1 is just really nicejohnthepom1 is just really nice

hi there
when me and oh were in oz backpacking we phoned around the campervan companys and asked if they had any relocations.

we done this a few times and they only charged us $1 a day but there was a time limit for us to get the van to its destination but if i remember right we could have it longer at a cheaper rate than normal.

the best one we had was a 6 berth van and we drove that from sydney to perth over 13 days where we stoped of at melbourne and adelaid and a couple of other places in western austrailia.

i would recomend this as we saved so much money and you could do it over a month from melb to cairns that would be plenty of time to see the sights and not have to worry about rushing it
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jbwilliamz
Ola folks, here in Melbourne for the last 8 weeks and lookign to rent a campervan and drive from here to Cairns, anyone done anything simular?!

Some ideas on duration and price?
Camper would cost around $1200 for 4 weeks ish...

Duration?! is that long enough? do we need more time?!

Cheers!!
Jb
Depends on how long you want to stop at various places.

Mrs Slip's father did this when he moved from Melbourne to Port Douglas, and he drive towing a boat, so it was a slower speed than a camper would do, and because he did not want to stop unless to sleep, he did it in 48 hours, including sleeps. Hard going through.

remember Brisbane is closer to Melbourne than Cairns. Sydney is about 8 hour drive from Melbourne.

That should help you plan your drive... I reckon, with tourist stops, 4 days would be easily enough.