Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

driving liscence in oz

driving liscence in oz

Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:27 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default driving liscence in oz

Do you have to make sure you have an international liscence when you move to OZ? Or is a uk liscece sufficient?

Does there have to be a number of years left on a driving liscene in order to get an Australian liscence?

Any hints or tips would be most welcome - please state which state you are in as I think laws may be different in each state.

thanks
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving liscence in oz

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Do you have to make sure you have an international liscence when you move to OZ? Or is a uk liscece sufficient?

Does there have to be a number of years left on a driving liscene in order to get an Australian liscence?

Any hints or tips would be most welcome - please state which state you are in as I think laws may be different in each state.

thanks
In south australia you just have to swap your UK license for a Oz one within 3 months of arriving
Old Mar 15th 2006, 9:54 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
In WA you just swap your licence, but you have to do it within 3 months. Also if you have a WA licence, you will get cheaper car insurance.... so pay's to do it straight away.
Neil.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

deanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
In WA you just swap your licence, but you have to do it within 3 months. Also if you have a WA licence, you will get cheaper car insurance.... so pay's to do it straight away.
Neil.
We have been told you have to take a theory test. Is this correct? We are going to Perth & have full UK licence.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Qld and had to take and pass a theory test before we were issued with our Australian licence. We just showed the plastic part of the licence, they weren't interested in the paper part of it. It is supposed to be done within 3 months of arriving.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 10:40 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

thanks

International licences - It does not matter a hoot, the rules are still the same . You do not need one if you have got a Brit licence, old paper one, the new plastic, it does not matter - I hold the old paper British licence and had no prob getting a driving licence here

You can drive on your British licence in Qld if you are on a temp visa and not a PR or citizen. The Qld driving licence is optional for temp visa holders - The three month rule does not apply to temp visa holders.

You can apply for a licence years and years down the track - you don't have to do it within three months - I didn't . I took my theory test and got my Qld licence years down the track of being here - This was after I was driving quite legally on a Brit licence here for years ( when I was on a 4 year temp visa) .Then I was knowingly illegally driving on my Brit licence for years ( when I was PR and then citizen) - It's just that you are legally required to get one if you are a PR or citizen to have a Qld licence within three months of residing here if you are to legally drive - in other words , you can still apply for one years after the three months and still only do the theory.

For the rules, it is really best to check out the official transport/licencing website for the state that you're interested in , and get the info from the horses mouth so to speak. It's easy enough to find the websites on the net with a google search

Good luck

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 15th 2006 at 10:54 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 2:13 am
ABCDiamond

For UK full driving licence holders (UK does NOT include Isle of Man)

NSW No theory test required
ACT No theory test required
QLD Theory Test is required.
SA No Theory Test required.
TAS Theory Test is required.
VIC No theory test required
WA No theory test required
NT I dont know

An International licence is only needed, in Australia, when your own driving licence is NOT in the English language. An IDP is NOT a licence in itself, but effectively just a Translation of your licence.

http://www.britzinoz.com/info/driving.htm

Old Mar 16th 2006, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deanmhunt
We have been told you have to take a theory test. Is this correct? We are going to Perth & have full UK licence.

Yes in ACT Canberra we swapped but still had to do the theory test - but dont worry it is easy and you have upto 3 months of driving on your old UK one before exchanging and sitting the test
Old Mar 16th 2006, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
Yes in ACT Canberra we swapped but still had to do the theory test - but dont worry it is easy and you have upto 3 months of driving on your old UK one before exchanging and sitting the test

Just checked the link above and the rules have changed in ACT - we had to do them in 2004 - ah well
Old Mar 16th 2006, 5:12 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear

How long ago did you swap your license over sas? Cas Wendy went down to motor registry a couple of months ago and just swapped her UK for ACT license.

ZX....
Old Mar 16th 2006, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
For UK full driving licence holders (UK does NOT include Isle of Man)

NSW No theory test required
ACT No theory test required
QLD Theory Test is required.
SA No Theory Test required.
TAS Theory Test is required.
VIC No theory test required
WA No theory test required
NT I dont know

An International licence is only needed, in Australia, when your own driving licence is NOT in the English language. An IDP is NOT a licence in itself, but effectively just a Translation of your licence.

http://www.britzinoz.com/info/driving.htm

We did ours in WA in 2001 and had to take the theory test, so I suppose it has changed.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 6:07 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Mandy&Cliff
We did ours in WA in 2001 and had to take the theory test, so I suppose it has changed.
The changes happened in 2005.

Old Mar 16th 2006, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ceri
International licences - It does not matter a hoot, the rules are still the same . You do not need one if you have got a Brit licence, old paper one, the new plastic, it does not matter - I hold the old paper British licence and had no prob getting a driving licence here

You can drive on your British licence in Qld if you are on a temp visa and not a PR or citizen. The Qld driving licence is optional for temp visa holders - The three month rule does not apply to temp visa holders.

You can apply for a licence years and years down the track - you don't have to do it within three months - I didn't . I took my theory test and got my Qld licence years down the track of being here - This was after I was driving quite legally on a Brit licence here for years ( when I was on a 4 year temp visa) .Then I was knowingly illegally driving on my Brit licence for years ( when I was PR and then citizen) - It's just that you are legally required to get one if you are a PR or citizen to have a Qld licence within three months of residing here if you are to legally drive - in other words , you can still apply for one years after the three months and still only do the theory.

For the rules, it is really best to check out the official transport/licencing website for the state that you're interested in , and get the info from the horses mouth so to speak. It's easy enough to find the websites on the net with a google search

Good luck

Just to clarify, does that mean, then, as I am in Oz on a 4yr visa (457) that I don't need to change my licence over?

I tried to get a straight answer out of the Aussie DVLA (can't remember the name!).

Also, the UK DVLA told me that I would have to change my address on my UK licence, but they only accept UK addresses... so I was flummoxed!

If I did change to an Aussie licence and then come back to the UK, will the DVLA just swap it back?

Sorry for the questions and hijack!
Old Mar 16th 2006, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TillyG
Just to clarify, does that mean, then, as I am in Oz on a 4yr visa (457) that I don't need to change my licence over?

I tried to get a straight answer out of the Aussie DVLA (can't remember the name!).

Also, the UK DVLA told me that I would have to change my address on my UK licence, but they only accept UK addresses... so I was flummoxed!

If I did change to an Aussie licence and then come back to the UK, will the DVLA just swap it back?

Sorry for the questions and hijack!
I dont know if anyone agrees but I thought it was worded something like " up to 3 months from the date that you take up permanent residency" If your visa is for 4 years could you not argue that you are not a permanent resident especially if you are going back to the UK.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mandy&Cliff
I dont know if anyone agrees but I thought it was worded something like " up to 3 months from the date that you take up permanent residency" If your visa is for 4 years could you not argue that you are not a permanent resident especially if you are going back to the UK.
Taken from www.transport.qld.gov.au
"How long do I have to change over? (overseas licence)
You must change the licence to a Queensland driver licence when all of the following apply:
You obtain resident/immigrant status in Australia.
You take up permanent residence in Queensland.

Once these apply, you need to change the licence over within three months.
If you do not have resident/immigrant status, and are visiting Queensland on a visa, there is no requirement for you to change over your licence.

As long as your licence is current, it clearly states the type of vehicle you can drive and it is in English, or you have an authorised translation, you can drive on Queensland roads using that licence".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.