Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

driving licenses?

driving licenses?

Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:27 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
ShellnTez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: gold coast
Posts: 178
ShellnTez will become famous soon enoughShellnTez will become famous soon enough
Default driving licenses?

just wondered if any of you guys know what to do about swapping your driving license over, i was told you have 3 months on entry to take a written test and if you don't do this then you'll have to take the full test again,
if our visa gets granted this year it is likely that we will have to have a holiday to validate it as i won't have finished my studies, so will we have to take the test whilst we are on holiday?
shell
ShellnTez is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:38 am
  #2  
part-time Visa Angel!
 
mlbonner's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: half marathon runner!
Posts: 4,458
mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: driving licenses?

Originally Posted by ShellnTez
just wondered if any of you guys know what to do about swapping your driving license over, i was told you have 3 months on entry to take a written test and if you don't do this then you'll have to take the full test again,
if our visa gets granted this year it is likely that we will have to have a holiday to validate it as i won't have finished my studies, so will we have to take the test whilst we are on holiday?
shell
Hi Shell,

The answer is no, not on your holiday. You only have to do it once you actually become resident (and have an address) Depending on where you move, will change what you have to do (Victoria, NSW & WA have no test at all, just a straight swap). Check the website for the state you're going to for full details; ie. QLD Transport.

Last edited by mlbonner; Jan 18th 2005 at 9:52 am. Reason: changed to add NSW as exempt also
mlbonner is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:48 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 68
wortho is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: driving licenses?

Actually the rules changed on 17th Jan ( NSW )& if you hold a valid licence from certain countrys then you do not need to take knowledge test or driving test.
I got my Riders licence today after showing my UK licence, took 10 minutes to get new licence & cost $19, they said I was the first one to do this which is understandable as the rule only came into affect yesterday.
From RTA site.
"The recognition of licences from certain countries was agreed nationally and commenced in NSW on 20 May 2002. Customers were exempted from the practical car driving test if they held an acceptable licence from one of the recognised countries.. The exemption only applies to applicants for Class C (car) licences.
As from 17 January 2005 customers are exempt the car driver knowledge test if they hold an acceptable car licence from one of the recognised countries. It is recommended that these applicants read the Road Users' Handbook to familiarise themselves with the current road rules in NSW.
The RTA reserves the right to require customers to undertake a knowledge test or driving test, and may not issue a licence until it is satisfied that the overseas licence is valid." http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html

Last edited by wortho; Jan 18th 2005 at 10:05 am. Reason: add NSW
wortho is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:23 am
  #4  
rab
Forum Regular
 
rab's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 253
rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving licenses?

No Shell you will be OK to wait ... I think!

Someone may correct me but I have a UK licence and still drive on it here after 13 months out of Britain because I am still on a provisional resident (partner migration) visa. I checked the website for Transport SA and it said that only permanent residentss or new citizens need to change their licence.

My licence still shows my old address in the UK. When I staretd work at the government here they knew about my UK licence and never batted an eyelid. Someone tell me if I am wrong please.

- name and address witheld - just in case
rab is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:40 am
  #5  
part-time Visa Angel!
 
mlbonner's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: half marathon runner!
Posts: 4,458
mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: driving licenses?

Originally Posted by rab
No Shell you will be OK to wait ... I think!

Someone may correct me but I have a UK licence and still drive on it here after 13 months out of Britain because I am still on a provisional resident (partner migration) visa. I checked the website for Transport SA and it said that only permanent residentss or new citizens need to change their licence.

My licence still shows my old address in the UK. When I staretd work at the government here they knew about my UK licence and never batted an eyelid. Someone tell me if I am wrong please.

- name and address witheld - just in case

Same thing for me, in QLD. You do need to check state to state though, and as soon as your PR is given you'll have 3 months.
Shell, I pressume you'll be getting PR, so within 3 months of residency for you
mlbonner is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:56 am
  #6  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving licenses?

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Same thing for me, in QLD. You do need to check state to state though, and as soon as your PR is given you'll have 3 months.
Shell, I pressume you'll be getting PR, so within 3 months of residency for you
However it's 3 months of *moving* to the state - not just visiting. You can't normally get a driving licence as a visitor even if you want one.

Jeremy
JAJ is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:59 am
  #7  
part-time Visa Angel!
 
mlbonner's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: half marathon runner!
Posts: 4,458
mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: driving licenses?

Originally Posted by JAJ
However it's 3 months of *moving* to the state - not just visiting. You can't normally get a driving licence as a visitor even if you want one.

Jeremy

Which I think is what I said in my first post to her
mlbonner is offline  
Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:18 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
ShellnTez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: gold coast
Posts: 178
ShellnTez will become famous soon enoughShellnTez will become famous soon enough
Default Re: driving licenses?

thanks guys for the info
at least i'll be able to enjoy holidaying without having to think about any hassles
shell
ShellnTez is offline  
Old Jan 19th 2005, 11:26 am
  #9  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Richmond, London
Posts: 26
kmunce is on a distinguished road
Default Re: driving licenses?

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Same thing for me, in QLD. You do need to check state to state though, and as soon as your PR is given you'll have 3 months.
Shell, I pressume you'll be getting PR, so within 3 months of residency for you
Hi, I may sound a bit thick but if you go to Oz on a Spouse visa and the first 2 years are a temporary visa, you don't need to apply for a QLD drivers licence until after those 2 years are up and you are granted the Permanent visa?? I am just double checking I got the info right...
kmunce is offline  
Old Jan 19th 2005, 11:51 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Swaffy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Narraweena, narrawhere? Northern beaches Sydney
Posts: 169
Swaffy will become famous soon enoughSwaffy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: driving licenses?

Originally Posted by wortho
Actually the rules changed on 17th Jan ( NSW )& if you hold a valid licence from certain countrys then you do not need to take knowledge test or driving test.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/newtonsw/international_drivers.html[/url]

What plonkers! We just took our knowledge test on Fri 14th. Both hubby and I passed 45/45.
I'm still glad I took mine though, as I would have never have bothered picking up the Road Users' Handbook.
The 'left turn on red permitted after stopping' sign would have confused the hell out of me otherwise!

Ange
Swaffy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.