British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   driving licenses? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/driving-licenses-278315/)

ShellnTez Jan 18th 2005 8:27 am

driving licenses?

just wondered if any of you guys know what to do about swapping your driving license over, i was told you have 3 months on entry to take a written test and if you don't do this then you'll have to take the full test again,
if our visa gets granted this year it is likely that we will have to have a holiday to validate it as i won't have finished my studies, so will we have to take the test whilst we are on holiday?
shell

mlbonner Jan 18th 2005 8:38 am

Re: driving licenses?

Originally Posted by ShellnTez
just wondered if any of you guys know what to do about swapping your driving license over, i was told you have 3 months on entry to take a written test and if you don't do this then you'll have to take the full test again,
if our visa gets granted this year it is likely that we will have to have a holiday to validate it as i won't have finished my studies, so will we have to take the test whilst we are on holiday?
shell

Hi Shell,

The answer is no, not on your holiday. You only have to do it once you actually become resident (and have an address) Depending on where you move, will change what you have to do (Victoria, NSW & WA have no test at all, just a straight swap). Check the website for the state you're going to for full details; ie. QLD Transport.

wortho Jan 18th 2005 8:48 am

Actually the rules changed on 17th Jan ( NSW )& if you hold a valid licence from certain countrys then you do not need to take knowledge test or driving test.
I got my Riders licence today after showing my UK licence, took 10 minutes to get new licence & cost $19, they said I was the first one to do this which is understandable as the rule only came into affect yesterday.
From RTA site.
"The recognition of licences from certain countries was agreed nationally and commenced in NSW on 20 May 2002. Customers were exempted from the practical car driving test if they held an acceptable licence from one of the recognised countries.. The exemption only applies to applicants for Class C (car) licences.
As from 17 January 2005 customers are exempt the car driver knowledge test if they hold an acceptable car licence from one of the recognised countries. It is recommended that these applicants read the Road Users' Handbook to familiarise themselves with the current road rules in NSW.
The RTA reserves the right to require customers to undertake a knowledge test or driving test, and may not issue a licence until it is satisfied that the overseas licence is valid." http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html

rab Jan 18th 2005 9:23 am

No Shell you will be OK to wait ... I think!

Someone may correct me but I have a UK licence and still drive on it here after 13 months out of Britain because I am still on a provisional resident (partner migration) visa. I checked the website for Transport SA and it said that only permanent residentss or new citizens need to change their licence.

My licence still shows my old address in the UK. When I staretd work at the government here they knew about my UK licence and never batted an eyelid. Someone tell me if I am wrong please.

- name and address witheld - just in case ;)

mlbonner Jan 18th 2005 9:40 am

Originally Posted by rab
No Shell you will be OK to wait ... I think!

Someone may correct me but I have a UK licence and still drive on it here after 13 months out of Britain because I am still on a provisional resident (partner migration) visa. I checked the website for Transport SA and it said that only permanent residentss or new citizens need to change their licence.

My licence still shows my old address in the UK. When I staretd work at the government here they knew about my UK licence and never batted an eyelid. Someone tell me if I am wrong please.

- name and address witheld - just in case ;)

Same thing for me, in QLD. You do need to check state to state though, and as soon as your PR is given you'll have 3 months.
Shell, I pressume you'll be getting PR, so within 3 months of residency for you :)

JAJ Jan 18th 2005 9:56 am

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Same thing for me, in QLD. You do need to check state to state though, and as soon as your PR is given you'll have 3 months.
Shell, I pressume you'll be getting PR, so within 3 months of residency for you :)

However it's 3 months of *moving* to the state - not just visiting. You can't normally get a driving licence as a visitor even if you want one.

Jeremy

mlbonner Jan 18th 2005 9:59 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
However it's 3 months of *moving* to the state - not just visiting. You can't normally get a driving licence as a visitor even if you want one.

Jeremy

Which I think is what I said in my first post to her :)

ShellnTez Jan 19th 2005 8:18 am

thanks guys for the info
at least i'll be able to enjoy holidaying without having to think about any hassles
shell

kmunce Jan 19th 2005 10:26 am

Originally Posted by mlbonner

Hi, I may sound a bit thick but if you go to Oz on a Spouse visa and the first 2 years are a temporary visa, you don't need to apply for a QLD drivers licence until after those 2 years are up and you are granted the Permanent visa?? I am just double checking I got the info right... :confused:

Swaffy Jan 19th 2005 10:51 am

Originally Posted by wortho
Actually the rules changed on 17th Jan ( NSW )& if you hold a valid licence from certain countrys then you do not need to take knowledge test or driving test.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/newtonsw/international_drivers.html[/url]

What plonkers! We just took our knowledge test on Fri 14th. Both hubby and I passed 45/45.
I'm still glad I took mine though, as I would have never have bothered picking up the Road Users' Handbook.
The 'left turn on red permitted after stopping' sign would have confused the hell out of me otherwise!

Ange