Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

driving license qld

driving license qld

Old May 12th 2009, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default driving license qld

Got to get this done transfering from UK to Qld - is it just turn up at an office (RTA I think) or do we have to do any tests??

Ta
Old May 12th 2009, 12:33 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: driving license qld

Originally Posted by Wendy66
Got to get this done transfering from UK to Qld - is it just turn up at an office (RTA I think) or do we have to do any tests??

Ta
You have mentioned QLD and NSW in various posts, there can be differences in some things, but for the Driving Licence, you do just turn up at the relevant Motoring Department, and it is a simple form filling process with no tests.

NSW is the RTA
QLD is the Queensland Motor Registry Office. The QLD RTA is something very different

Old May 12th 2009, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You have mentioned QLD and NSW in various posts, there can be differences in some things, but for the Driving Licence, you do just turn up at the relevant Motoring Department, and it is a simple form filling process with no tests.

NSW is the RTA
QLD is the Queensland Motor Registry Office. The QLD RTA is something very different
thanks renting in qld and buying house in nsw, need the drivers license for the home buyers grant :S
Old May 12th 2009, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

juddy will become famous soon enoughjuddy will become famous soon enough

Yep. just turn up, make sure you have 2 photos for id, and a address, allow plenty of time for this, the one in Southport GC, took me about 2 hours.
Old May 12th 2009, 12:42 am
ABCDiamond

thanks renting in qld and buying house in nsw, need the drivers license for the home buyers grant :S
Just to make you smile....

Renting in QLD = RTA - (Residential Tenancies Authority, QLD)

Driving in NSW = RTA - (Roads and Traffic Authority, NSW)

Old May 12th 2009, 1:39 am
sjo
Forum Regular

sjo will become famous soon enough

Hi Wendy66,

So did you decide to buy that house in Tamworth?
Old May 12th 2009, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

You need to take UK licence & several forms of IDincluding proof of address eg tenancy agreement. We took passports, bank card & medicare card.
Old May 13th 2009, 4:29 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Ta
If you're just wanting to drive cars then you don't need to do a test.

On my UK driving licence I can drive 3 ton trucks.. the lovely lady at the QLD vehicle place told me I'd have to sit a test if I wanted that on my QLD licence.

We're having more fun getting the teenagers licensed, cos a UK birth certificate isn't acceptable proof of identity. Mind you, thats definitely a win:win as far as I'm concerned
Old May 13th 2009, 6:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Dreamy
If you're just wanting to drive cars then you don't need to do a test.

On my UK driving licence I can drive 3 ton trucks.. the lovely lady at the QLD vehicle place told me I'd have to sit a test if I wanted that on my QLD licence.
A Private Car Licence, in Queensland, allows you to drive:
  • a moped
  • a motor vehicle weighing 4.5 tonnes (t) GVM or less, built or fitted to carry a maximum of 12 passengers including the driver, with or without a trailer weighing 9 t GVM or less
  • a specially constructed vehicle weighing 4.5 t GVM or less, with or without a trailer

Old May 13th 2009, 6:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Dreamy
We're having more fun getting the teenagers licensed, cos a UK birth certificate isn't acceptable proof of identity. Mind you, thats definitely a win:win as far as I'm concerned
You can use an Australian or foreign passport (current or expired less than two years) instead of Birth Certificate.

Add that to a
Medicare card (may be used by any person listed on the card)
and
Educational institution student identity document (must include photo and/or signature)

and the main ID bits are covered.

Old May 13th 2009, 10:28 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Took 20 mins. Make sure you take a bill or other document showing that you are actually living at your current address.

Passport / Credit card with your name on it

You have to do the usual 100 point identity test.

tTen your UK licence is just transfered over and you get a nice QLD driving licence with your photo on it. They take your photo there in the office.
Old May 19th 2009, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sjo
Hi Wendy66,

So did you decide to buy that house in Tamworth?
Hi, yep exchanged contracts yesteray

Went to get Qld driving license and no problems, took about 30 mins or so, had all proof of ID etc - very nice lady did both of ours, took photos and gave them to us on the spot - very impressed and so quick!!

Quick question, will we need to get a NSW driving license now, we just got the Qld one for 12 months (had to get it for ID for the first time home owners grant).
Old May 19th 2009, 9:15 am
ABCDiamond

Hi, yep exchanged contracts yesteray

Went to get Qld driving license and no problems, took about 30 mins or so, had all proof of ID etc - very nice lady did both of ours, took photos and gave them to us on the spot - very impressed and so quick!!

Quick question, will we need to get a NSW driving license now, we just got the Qld one for 12 months (had to get it for ID for the first time home owners grant).
Yes, each States new arrivals from other States are treated in almost the same way that they treat overseas arrivals.

You have 3 months to change over. One difference though, as long as it hasn't changed... No charge, your NSW licence will have the same expiry date that your QLD licence has.

Your old licence will be returned to QLD, or destroyed, after advising the QLD Motor transport Department.

Old May 19th 2009, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

The Randalls will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone,
as we're talking about driving license's - i have already swapped mine which was very easy and only took about 15 minutes.
my son who is 17 has just passed his driving test in the UK,
would he be able to swap his full license to a QLD license in the same way i did, only reason i ask is because it seems alot different with age groups in oz
could anyone give me any info about this?
thanks
Old May 20th 2009, 12:46 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A Private Car Licence, in Queensland, allows you to drive:
  • a moped
  • a motor vehicle weighing 4.5 tonnes (t) GVM or less, built or fitted to carry a maximum of 12 passengers including the driver, with or without a trailer weighing 9 t GVM or less
  • a specially constructed vehicle weighing 4.5 t GVM or less, with or without a trailer
Thanks for that - I thought I'd just have to use my UK licence again if we needed to hire another white van.

From your next reply about ID, I'm sure the woman dealing with our enquiry just didn't like us. We had passports, medicare card and student id for the boys - she said we needed something else with their signature on, so we've had to arrange for the bank to send keycards for their savings accounts. Not that the little buggers will be allowed to use them.

I'm still trying to delay the inevitable

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.