Driving License

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold
Default Driving License

Hi everyone, this as probably been asked before but here goes, can we drive in Australia on our UK driving licences? or do we need to take an Australian test after we arrive?
We have both held full licences for over ten years with no points or convictions
Just got a nagging feeling that we need to retake the test over there
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

shycouple2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving License

Originally Posted by deb68
Hi everyone, this as probably been asked before but here goes, can we drive in Australia on our UK driving licences? or do we need to take an Australian test after we arrive?
We have both held full licences for over ten years with no points or convictions
you need to apply for state licence within a set period, no need to take test

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-aus...ly-drivers.htm

Last edited by shycouple2009; Feb 23rd 2010 at 8:18 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deb68
Things vary from state to state but generally if you are PR then your UK licence is valid for 3 months. You can usually just exchange your licence for an Australian one (on payment of a fee). There isn't really a 3 month limit on this but you probably want to do it before your UK licence becomes invalid. Most states (if not all by now) don't require a test if you have a UK licence, although I would recommend reading the rule book for your state as there will be some differences to the UK (and even state to state).

If you are a Temp Resident then you can usually drive for whole time on your UK licence but check with your state's licencing authority just to be sure.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

OilDigger is an unknown quantity at this point

UK is classed as a reciprocal place for licenses so are excepted for driving accross Aus.

No test required in WA just a short eye test, form to complete and some AUD's to hand over.

3 month limit applies but this is a police thing ie if your here more than 3 months and get pulled over you may face a fine for not changing, similar to the UK when you dont register a change of address.

As stated if your on a temporay visa you don't need to change but probaly worth a visit to the licensing center to check for yourself when you get here.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by OilDigger
3 month limit applies but this is a police thing ie if your here more than 3 months and get pulled over you may face a fine for not changing, similar to the UK when you dont register a change of address.
It's actually a little worse, the charge is "driving without a valid driving licence" ie: driving unlicenced.
My knowledge of this comes from personal experience

A Permanent Resident is normally allowed to drive for 3 months before needing an Australian Licence, after that period they would be classed as driving without a valid licence.

This currently applies in all states (2009-10)
But it is as easy as just asking for a licence, (filling in a form), show your UK one and pay your money.

Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:15 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But it is as easy as just asking for a licence, (filling in a form), show your UK one and pay your money.
And the photo ... make sure it's a good one because you'll be using it everywhere ... mine isn't ... I look like The Mekon.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DeadVim
And the photo ... make sure it's a good one because you'll be using it everywhere ... mine isn't ... I look like The Mekon.
It's funny that, all the ladies getting done up for their driving licence swap

Me ? Who cares what I look like on my driving licence

Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:05 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It's funny that, all the ladies getting done up for their driving licence swap

Me ? Who cares what I look like on my driving licence
My OH looks like a different person ... in fact, I THOUGHT there was a reason she didn't have any points on her license.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Brilliant replies as per the norm guys
Thank you all.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shycouple2009
you need to apply for state licence within a set period, no need to take test

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-aus...ly-drivers.htm
We are moving to Perth from the UK in 6 weeks and hubby just asked about our licenses, I looked at the link thanks, but I noticed this:

In Western Australia, the three month period begins when you are granted your permanent residency visa, not when you arrive in Australia

Our visa was granted June 09, so does this mean we will need to take a test? I haven't heard about anyone else from the UK that has had to take one.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Flixy
We are moving to Perth from the UK in 6 weeks and hubby just asked about our licenses, I looked at the link thanks, but I noticed this:

In Western Australia, the three month period begins when you are granted your permanent residency visa, not when you arrive in Australia

Our visa was granted June 09, so does this mean we will need to take a test? I haven't heard about anyone else from the UK that has had to take one.
I am pretty sure that relates to people who have applied for PR on shore, and that you will be allowed 3 months from date of first arrival under a PR visa.

Refer to page 1 of this: http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/...WA_English.pdf

THE FOLLOWING LAWS MUST BE OBSERVED:
• It is illegal to drive in Western Australia without a current driver’s licence.
• Overseas licence holders, who hold a permanent visa, are only able to drive for up to 3 months using their overseas driver’s licence.
You MUST OBTAIN a WA driver’s licence within 3 months of arrival to continue driving.

Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all

Thanks for clearing that up