British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   driving license (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/driving-license-105828/)

rob Nov 26th 2001 12:16 pm

i have been told that if i apply to take make my driving license in perth all i have to do is take a written test.If i take my passport and uk driving license to the test center is this true.Do i have to take an eye test as well.

Also if i then move to say brisbane is the driving license that i got in perth current to drive in other states.

How do i get a copy of aus the high way code because i would like to study it before i go

Alan Collett Nov 26th 2001 1:10 pm

Rob,

This link might be of use to you:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=104

For reference all the States and Territories require you to do an eyesight test.

Best regards.

Alan Collett alan-at-gomatilda-dot-com Member of the Migration Institute of
Australia, Number 1230 Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534 and a Fellow of the
Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales Managing Director - The Go
Matilda Trading Company Limited W www.gomatilda.com Offices at Enterprise House,
Ocean Village, Southampton, Hampshire, England, SO14 3XB. - T +44 (0)2380 488777, and
Level 5, 11 Queens Road, Melbourne, VIC 3004, Australia - T +61 (0)3 8530 7030 "There
are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going"

rob i have been told that if i apply to take make my driving license in perth all i
have to do is take a written test.If i take my passport and uk driving license to the
test center is this true.Do i have to take an eye test as well.

Also if i then move to say brisbane is the driving license that i got in perth
current to drive in other states.

How do i get a copy of aus the high way code because i would like to study it
before i go

--

heading downunder 2002 Nov 26th 2001 8:06 pm

Hi Alan,

Many thanks for your link regarding driving licenses which I have had a good look at. One question though, we are heading for Queensland and on the site for obtaining a license in Queensland it says that you have to obtain a Queensland License within 3 months of obtaining a permanent visa, does this mean that if you haven't arrived in Australia within 3 months of obtaining your visa you arn't allowed to drive until you pass the test once there?

Hope this makes sense

Susan

Alan Collett Nov 26th 2001 11:10 pm

Hi Susan,

I would interpret the requirements as meaning that if you have a permanent visa you
have to pass your test within 3 months of arriving in QLD. I think the QLD site is
looking at the position from the perspective of temporary residents obtaining a
permanent visa whilst living in QLD, rather than for most people on this site who
obtain their permanant visas outside Australia.

But for certainty you would have to speak to the licensing people there.

Best regards.

Alan C www.gomatilda.com

heading downunder 2002 Hi Alan,

Many thanks for your link regarding driving licenses which I have had a good look at.
One question though, we are heading for Queensland and on the site for obtaining a
license in Queensland it says that you have to obtain a Queensland License within 3
months of obtaining a permanent visa, does this mean that if you haven't arrived in
Australia within 3 months of obtaining your visa you arn't allowed to drive until you
pass the test once there?

Hope this makes sense

Susan

--

rob Nov 29th 2001 12:15 pm

Thanks for answering the question but there is two more things.
If i move to perth and only plan to stay 3 weeks and are staying at a backpackers. How i could i prove that i am residing in that state?
Also if i go to get my license and take my test and show my current uk license do they then take this when i get my aus one.

thanks rob