Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving Licences

Driving Licences

Old Sep 26th 2004, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Driving Licences

Hi,

We are hoping to move to the Gold Coast in Qld in the new year. Are our english driving licences valid or do we need to take tests again. My husband drives for a living and has his Class 2 licence. Any advise welcome.

Sunshine23
Old Sep 26th 2004, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

going4it has a spectacular aura aboutgoing4it has a spectacular aura aboutgoing4it has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Driving Licences

Originally Posted by sunshine23
Hi,

We are hoping to move to the Gold Coast in Qld in the new year. Are our english driving licences valid or do we need to take tests again. My husband drives for a living and has his Class 2 licence. Any advise welcome.

Sunshine23
It is my understanding that you have 3 months to upgrade your licenses, until then you can drive on them. I also think that he will need to do the same of the Class 2 license.

Shoot me if I'm wrong.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 12:22 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by going4it
It is my understanding that you have 3 months to upgrade your licenses, until then you can drive on them. I also think that he will need to do the same of the Class 2 license.

Shoot me if I'm wrong.
Your right, if you hold a class 2 you will need to actually take a practical test to get the equivalent licence here. It sucks but that's how it is
Old Sep 26th 2004, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Your right, if you hold a class 2 you will need to actually take a practical test to get the equivalent licence here. It sucks but that's how it is
Do we need to take a test for our normal licences or can we just swap them.

Sunshine23
Old Sep 26th 2004, 2:12 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Hi,

Sunshine23
If you currently hold a full UK driving licence then you need only take a theory test here in Aus

You have [officially] 3 months in which to do this.

Old Sep 26th 2004, 3:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
If you currently hold a full UK driving licence then you need only take a theory test here in Aus

You have [officially] 3 months in which to do this.
That rule applies to regular driving licences (ie, car and I believe motorcycle).
A practical test may be required for HGV licences.

Waiting more than 3 months to get an Australian licence falls into the 'not smart' category as it can cause insurance and legal problems and they might turn around and make you take a test then when you do look to get a licence.

Plus, a driving licence is a great piece of ID for use locally.

Some states (eg NSW) will let you keep your UK licence, sometimes invalidated for use in Australia. Others will take it away - best to take a copy beforehand.

Jeremy
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:31 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Do we need to take a test for our normal licences or can we just swap them.

Sunshine23

You just need to take a theory test for a normal car licence. Depending upon which state your going to you can practice online or order the appropriate book. Rules vary slightly state to state so you need the correct one.
Dependant upon when you passed your U.K test you may have the right to drive up to an 8 tonne vehicle towing a trailer [C1E]. You will NOT be able to hold the equivalent licence here in Australia without taking both a theory and a practical test.
The original poster's husband is a professional driver, driving a class 2 HGV he will need to take both. Not sure about the need for a medical as per U.K.
The theory test here [QLD] is approx $75 for a 5 yr licence [if you pass the test] each test is approx $20 if you fail. There are only 6 different test papers, an Aussie mate has sat 5 of them & failed, I passed second time 3 days after we arrived. Deb passed first time 2 months later, they really are easy test papers, you just need to learn the book. You can't take the test again the same day.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

The Queensland licence is an amazingly scabby bit of documentation, basically a laminated card that looks more like a Blockbusters video card than a driving licence, still, it does the trick!

The info you need is on the Queensland Government website.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Driving Licences

Originally Posted by Trevglas
The Queensland licence is an amazingly scabby bit of documentation, basically a laminated card that looks more like a Blockbusters video card than a driving licence, still, it does the trick!

The info you need is on the Queensland Government website.

Thanks for all the replies. I actually gave up my Australian Drivers Licence for my English one. Never mind I was only young.

Sunshine23
Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:43 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Am i right in thinking that the theory test is a multiple guess type thing?
Old Sep 27th 2004, 4:30 pm
PommieLeague

Im on a temp Pros marriage visa and I belive ive got 12months then i need to do the WA theory test, not 3 months as I dont have my perm visa yet.

Old Sep 27th 2004, 7:01 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lathlain
Im on a temp Pros marriage visa and I belive ive got 12months then i need to do the WA theory test, not 3 months as I dont have my perm visa yet.

I would double check I think you will find that if you are in Australia more than three months you need to take the test

PJ
Old Sep 28th 2004, 12:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacko1
I would double check I think you will find that if you are in Australia more than three months you need to take the test

PJ
In most states if you are a temporary resident you don't have to get an Australian licence. But WA might be different - so check.

Jeremy
Old Sep 28th 2004, 12:45 am
JAJ
Retired

Thanks for all the replies. I actually gave up my Australian Drivers Licence for my English one. Never mind I was only young.

Sunshine23
Queensland may be able to recover your details and issue you with a new licence based on the fact you're a former QLD licence holder who has held an overseas licence meanwhile.

See what it says on their website about situations like this. It might mean you don't need to do a theory test.

Jeremy
Old Sep 28th 2004, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Sunshine23
Sunshine

I alos gave up my Oz licence when I got my English Driving Licence. Didn't realise that I could have asked DVLA to send it back to me!!

Anyway when I came back to Oz after 10 years, I went down to Vic Roads with all my personal information. They then checked their system and luckily I was still on it, so didn't need to do any tests, they just issued me with a new licence (after I'd paid them the dosh of course!!).

Regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.