Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving licence in WA

Driving licence in WA

Old Dec 4th 2006, 2:51 pm
CMR
Forum Regular

CMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the rough
Default Driving licence in WA

Hi all

We (me + wife + toddler) are heading out to Perth in the new year and I want to know what the drill is with getting an Australian diving licence.

We did a validation trip in February and I made a few enquiries - apparently it's pretty easy for me to convert my UK licence to an Australian one, but my wife is only just taking driving lessons (all these years I've had to walk to the pub! ) and I want to know if it's worth her taking her test here or just waiting 'till we get there and doing the WA driving test.

I seem to recall reading that if you've only had your licence for a short time (e.g. less than 1 year) then they'll insist on you taking the test but I may have just imagined it.

Can anyone shed any light?

CMR
Old Dec 4th 2006, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Driving licence in WA

Originally Posted by CMR
Hi all

We (me + wife + toddler) are heading out to Perth in the new year and I want to know what the drill is with getting an Australian diving licence.

We did a validation trip in February and I made a few enquiries - apparently it's pretty easy for me to convert my UK licence to an Australian one, but my wife is only just taking driving lessons (all these years I've had to walk to the pub! ) and I want to know if it's worth her taking her test here or just waiting 'till we get there and doing the WA driving test.

I seem to recall reading that if you've only had your licence for a short time (e.g. less than 1 year) then they'll insist on you taking the test but I may have just imagined it.

CMR
Seem to recall that you are correct, and that less than a year or 3 in some places means a retake. From what I know, the Aus driving test is easier than the UK one, and as my missu advised just the other day, it does not matter whether you take your test in an auto or manual - you are licensed for both. She took her test in an auto - thanks heavens for modern clutches as I wonder how long they'll last with her left foot.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 8:33 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence in WA

Originally Posted by CMR
Hi all

CMR
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/mylicence/13858.asp this should answer any questions you might have. I just swapped mine over but I have been driving for a long time.