Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

driving licence uk to oz

driving licence uk to oz

Old Oct 9th 2008, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving licence uk to oz

Originally Posted by MattW82
Really? The SA Transport site still states that you have to surrender your overseas licence when applying for an SA licence:

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/licen..._residents.asp
They are so slow here that they probably just haven't updated the site yet!

Definitely give you it back, I've verified with a few others

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'm not sure one country is legally allowed to remove or distroy another country's documents. They used to punch a hole in the UK one when you transferred to an Aus one but don't any more. It's got to be illegal surely
I don't think they are, hence the change in rules. They can take it off you and send it back, but that's probably too much hassle for them I would hazard a guess that they will have a record of your UK driving licence number on their files, that is linked to your Aus one so that you can't 'cheat' the system as it were.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Wendy
They are so slow here that they probably just haven't updated the site yet!

Definitely give you it back, I've verified with a few others

I don't think they are, hence the change in rules. They can take it off you and send it back, but that's probably too much hassle for them I would hazard a guess that they will have a record of your UK driving licence number on their files, that is linked to your Aus one so that you can't 'cheat' the system as it were.
yep - they gave me mine back last month when I got the SA one - but told me to send it back to the UK as per the docs I had signed. I also spoke to the DVLA who confirmed I should do that. It was exactly the same when hubby got his UK one - he was given his aussie one back and told to surrender it. The UK one can only be in a UK address anyway, and you are breaking the law in the UK if you leave it at an address you no longer live at - so I just sent mine back
Old Oct 9th 2008, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donovandenese
yep - they gave me mine back last month when I got the SA one - but told me to send it back to the UK as per the docs I had signed. I also spoke to the DVLA who confirmed I should do that. It was exactly the same when hubby got his UK one - he was given his aussie one back and told to surrender it. The UK one can only be in a UK address anyway, and you are breaking the law in the UK if you leave it at an address you no longer live at - so I just sent mine back

We destroyed the OH's - couldn't be bothered with it all. We have no intention of going back
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's a GB licence, not a UK one. Northern Ireland has its own licences.

You do not have to advise a change to a non-GB address (it will not be accepted anyway) and there is no obligation to send back your licence in this circumstance.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

So with me going over in jan 09 for a month,would it be wise to apply for one then or just wait till i am moving for good,i just thought be nice to get one when i am there,something less to do.
But not if they want to keep my uk one as i will be coming back after that month for a bit until i am ready to go back for good.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
would it be wise to apply for one then
No it wouldn't - there is absolutely no need. I think this was discussed in one of your previous 'what can I do on validation' threads. As per those threads, have a holiday, check out areas to live, enjoy yourself - give the admin a miss.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:44 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bcworld
No it wouldn't - there is absolutely no need. I think this was discussed in one of your previous 'what can I do on validation' threads. As per those threads, have a holiday, check out areas to live, enjoy yourself - give the admin a miss.
I agree not much point doing any of that stuff. You could get the licence, Medicare and bank sorted out in a morning if you wanted to. Although you might want to sort out the bank on your trip so that you'll have it set up to transfer money into when you come back.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's a GB licence, not a UK one. Northern Ireland has its own licences.

You do not have to advise a change to a non-GB address (it will not be accepted anyway) and there is no obligation to send back your licence in this circumstance.
the DVLA website states that when you move overseas you need to follow the licencing rules of the country you are moving to re exchange of licences. the south australian licencing rules state that someone moving to SA as a permanent resident must obtain a SA driving licence and MUST surrender their overseas licence:

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/licen..._residents.asp

both the DVLA and Transport SA told me to surrender my original licence. Even if you weren't to do that immediately - the photocard will expire after 10 years, at which stage you would only be able to renew with a GB address - and the renewal form itself (sent to your last registered address) states that you have to renew within the stated period, or surrender the licence, or face a fine. eems to me that the easiest thing to do is just surrender it when you exchange for the new one!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

the DVLA website states that when you move overseas you need to follow the licencing rules of the country you are moving to
GB rules do not oblige you to hand in your licence when you move. What another country may or may not require is of no concern to them.

re exchange of licences. the south australian licencing rules state that someone moving to SA as a permanent resident must obtain a SA driving licence and MUST surrender their overseas licence:
In that case, they will ask for it as a condition of issue of a South Australia licence. If they don't ask for it, then how can you be obliged to surrender it?
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
GB rules do not oblige you to hand in your licence when you move. What another country may or may not require is of no concern to them.

In that case, they will ask for it as a condition of issue of a South Australia licence. If they don't ask for it, then how can you be obliged to surrender it?
GB rules (its on the dvla website) say you should comply with the rules of the place you are moving to - when you sign the south australian driving licence application form you agree to wording on the form which states that you will surrender your overseas licence. they do ask you to do it - it is a condition of issue that you are agreeing to by signing the form. I was also told to do that verbally by the SA transport staff. So thats what I did.

it could be entirely diff for other states - am only saying what the rules are in south australia. I do wonder however if you live elsewhere where you can keep both the GB and Oz licence - how do you renew the photocard every 10 years without a UK address? also not sure why you would want to pay for 2 licences?
Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:21 am
JAJ
Retired

GB rules (its on the dvla website) say you should comply with the rules of the place you are moving to
There is no such thing in the law as "should". Either you must do so, or you don't have to do so.

- when you sign the south australian driving licence application form you agree to wording on the form which states that you will surrender your overseas licence. they do ask you to do it - it is a condition of issue that you are agreeing to by signing the form. I was also told to do that verbally by the SA transport staff. So thats what I did.
So why on earth don't they take it if it's so important to them that you not keep it?

it could be entirely diff for other states - am only saying what the rules are in south australia. I do wonder however if you live elsewhere where you can keep both the GB and Oz licence - how do you renew the photocard every 10 years without a UK address? also not sure why you would want to pay for 2 licences?
You cannot renew the photocard if you do not live in GB. That is a principle among most driving licence jurisdictions. But the licence itself remains valid until age 70 and if you later on return to the U.K. keeping it will protect you in case the DVLA "lose" all your records.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is no such thing in the law as "should". Either you must do so, or you don't have to do so.

So why on earth don't they take it if it's so important to them that you not keep it?

You cannot renew the photocard if you do not live in GB. That is a principle among most driving licence jurisdictions. But the licence itself remains valid until age 70 and if you later on return to the U.K. keeping it will protect you in case the DVLA "lose" all your records.
i assume they don't take the licence as legally they aren't allowed to take it off you - its your obligation to return it. it was the same back in the UK when my husband exchanged his Oz licence for a GB one - his old licence was returned to him by the DVLA but he was told to surrender it back to Oz.

just before i left the uk i got the renewal form for the photocard. it said i had to return the form with payment by X date or face a fine, alternatively i could surrender my licence (paper and photocard). as i was moving to oz i waited til I got here, got the SA licence, then surrendered the GB one as I was told to by the DVLA and Transport SA. There wasn't an option on the form to keep the paper licence and not renew the photocard. Should I ever need a UK licence it doesn't matter if the DVLA have lost any old records as I can easily exchange the SA licence for the UK one. I did ring the DVLA and check what I should do - they said to surrender the licence.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 7:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

i assume they don't take the licence as legally they aren't allowed to take it off you - its your obligation to return it. it was the same back in the UK when my husband exchanged his Oz licence for a GB one - his old licence was returned to him by the DVLA but he was told to surrender it back to Oz.
They can take it themselves and return it to the DVLA if they really want to.

So have you looked to see what the criminal penalty is if you don't "send it back" to DVLA? Assuming you don't try to use it.

If you send it back, what happens if it gets lost in the mail or in the DVLA system and the surrender is never registered?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:58 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Here in Tasmania you just take your UK license to "Service Tas" and after a few minutes of paper work and a picture your all done. You have to have been driving a certain amount of time to be exempt to a driving test. Sorry don't know what that is at the moment. But i did not have to sit any tests. You can even have a smile on your license. Nice.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
They can take it themselves and return it to the DVLA if they really want to.

So have you looked to see what the criminal penalty is if you don't "send it back" to DVLA? Assuming you don't try to use it.

If you send it back, what happens if it gets lost in the mail or in the DVLA system and the surrender is never registered?
the penalty for not renewing your photcard licence when it is ready for renewal is up to £1000 - this is stated in bold on the front of the letter issued to you at your last registered GB address a couple of months before the photcard expires. If you don't want to renew it you have to surrender it.

i sent my licence back by registered mail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.