Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving Licence on temp visa

Driving Licence on temp visa

Old Apr 6th 2004, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

pajb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Licence on temp visa

I've read somewhere that I will need to take the written part of my driving test within three months of arriving in Australia, from the UK, but as I understand it this only applies if you are in the country on a permanent visa. In my case I have just been granted a Prospective Spouse visa (Yippeeee!) and this is only a temp 9 month visa, and then after getting married within that period i will only be on a temp resident spouse visa.

So my question is this... does anyone know if i need to take my test at all while on either type of visa or can I still drive on an International driving licence until I apply for PR when we have been married for two years?

(Anything to delay facing another driving test ... procrastination - don't put off today what you can put off until tomorrow)

Thanks

Paul
Old Apr 6th 2004, 10:14 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence on temp visa

Originally posted by pajb
I've read somewhere that I will need to take the written part of my driving test within three months of arriving in Australia, from the UK, but as I understand it this only applies if you are in the country on a permanent visa. In my case I have just been granted a Prospective Spouse visa (Yippeeee!) and this is only a temp 9 month visa, and then after getting married within that period i will only be on a temp resident spouse visa.

So my question is this... does anyone know if i need to take my test at all while on either type of visa or can I still drive on an International driving licence until I apply for PR when we have been married for two years?

(Anything to delay facing another driving test ... procrastination - don't put off today what you can put off until tomorrow)

Thanks

Paul
Not sure about those particular visas, but I imagine they are the same as the other temp visas in which case yes, you can continue using your UK licence.

Someone will probably be more definitive.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 10:34 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Like you've said, its just the 'written part' of the test you have to do. I dont know when you did your test in this country, but I did mine shortly after they introduced the written test here. If the Aus one is anything like the our one its easy, absolutely nothing to worry about (or put off)

Old Apr 6th 2004, 10:36 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by mlbonner
Like you've said, its just the 'written part' of the test you have to do. I dont know when you did your test in this country, but I did mine shortly after they introduced the written test here. If the Aus one is anything like the our one its easy, absolutely nothing to worry about (or put off)

Also, I drove on my UK licence for a year out there. Got stopped at RBT's quite a few times and the police never questioned my UK licence once.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Scott&Berni is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

you only need to take the written test when your on a perm visa....asked when I was in. Didn't think it was fair that other on a 4 year sponsorship visa didn't have to take the test...got a strug and said if your perm you do and temp you don't .. hope it clear that up for you.
B

Paul [/QUOTE]
Old Apr 6th 2004, 10:59 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

You do not need to get a license until you go permanent. I find the Aussie license bloody good ID so I went and took the knowledge test to get one. The main advantage of not converting is avoiding de-mert points.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 11:43 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Reiterate above (I am on temporary visa and don't need QLD driving licence). Note you can get an Over 18 Card as ID instead of a drivers licence (at least in QLD you can).

Also, you do not need an International drivers licence, this is simply a translation of your UK one - don't bother. Would recommend you get yourself a UK Photo ID licence before leaving.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 12:23 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pajb

Thanks

Paul
Paul,

You didn't mention which state you are planning to reside in. If it's NSW, you could take a look a the NSW RTA website at http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/

As a UK driver's licence holder, you will not be subjected to a practical driving test. You'll only need to do a knowledge (theory) test which involves poking at the computer screen.

Peter
Old Apr 8th 2004, 5:32 pm
The Outback Beast

fogmeister is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I emailed VicRoads a while back about this subject and got this reply, atb Fogz

Thankyou for your e-mail.

Drivers who do not hold a permanent Visa

May drive (or learn to drive) on an overseas licence/permit for an
indefinite period, provided the licence/permit is in English or is
accompanied by an English translation (an English translation in an
International Driver Permit - issued to licence holders - is an acceptable
translation). This applies even if age or other eligibility requirements to
obtain a licence or permit in Victoria are not met.

Drivers who hold a permanent Visa

May drive (or learn to drive) on an overseas licence/permit for a period of
three (3) months after which time a Victorian licence must be obtained if
the holder wishes to continue to drive. This three month period commences:
from the date of arrival in Australia where a permanent visa is issued
on or before entry into Australia, or
from the date a permanent visa is issued where the person has been a
long term resident of Australia on a student/temporary/bridging etc
visa.

You may drive on your overseas licence for a period of 3 months after which
time a Victorian licence must be obtained if you wish to continue to drive.
This 3 month period commences from the date of arrival in Australia where a
permanent visa is issued on or before entry into Australia.
If you only have a temporary Visa then you may drive in Victoria on your
overseas licence providing it is current and accompanied by an approved
English translation

The procedure you must follow to convert your overseas licence is as
follows :

You must read "The Novice Drivers Kit- Road to Solo Driving", which you
can purchase from any of our VicRoads offices and selected newsagencies.

Phone 131171 to make an appointment for your Driving & Theory test to be
conducted at any VicRoads office.

On the day of your test you must provide your overseas drivers licence,
your current passport and proof of Victorian residential address.

The test may be conducted in your own vehicle or you may organise the test
through a Driving School. Driving Schools may be contacted via the Yellow
Pages.

Applicants from recognised countries are not subject to a drive/ride test
when applying for a car and/or a motor cycle licence in Victoria.
Recognised countries
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Austria Luxembourg
Belgium Netherlands
Canada Norway
Denmark Portugal
Finland Spain
France Sweden
Germany Switzerland
Greece UK
Ireland USA
Italy
Japan

If you are exempt from having to do the drive test you will still need to
undergo a road law knowledge test. Relevant fees are applicable.

Yours sincerely

Ashley Murnane

Rural Call Centre Ballarat

The following conditions apply to this communication and any attachments.
Vicroads reserves all of its copyright; the information is intended for the
addressees only and may be confidential - it must not be passed on by any
other recipients; and Vicroads accepts no liability for any consequences
arising from the recipients use of this means of communication. If received
in error, please contact us and delete copies.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

I've come over on a 457 4 year temp visa and I've only got the 'old' style UK driving licence.

I went into the local RTA office to ask. You definetly DO NOT have to take the theory test, you can continue to use your UK licence for the duration of your temporay visa in NSW at least.

I've also seen people post concerns over insurance claims, etc if you don't have an Aussie licence. Again, not a problem. Just let the insurance company know you've got a UK licence (they'll also want to know if you have any 'demerit points' - just list any UK convictions as you would normally).

It all changes of course if you then become a Permanent Resident, you will then have to sit the theory test within 3 months.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 11:23 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kevmitch
I've come over on a 457 4 year temp visa and I've only got the 'old' style UK driving licence.

I went into the local RTA office to ask. You definetly DO NOT have to take the theory test, you can continue to use your UK licence for the duration of your temporay visa in NSW at least.

I've also seen people post concerns over insurance claims, etc if you don't have an Aussie licence. Again, not a problem. Just let the insurance company know you've got a UK licence (they'll also want to know if you have any 'demerit points' - just list any UK convictions as you would normally).

It all changes of course if you then become a Permanent Resident, you will then have to sit the theory test within 3 months.
Kev, I think the previous comments in other threads about the insurance only applied to people who come over on PR & dont get their aussie licence in the required 3 months. As far as the RTA & police (& therefore insurance companies!) are concerned, in that case, you are effectively driving without a current drivers licence. And that would cause huge problems with your insurance company in the event of an accident. Like you said, on a temp visa there shouldnt be any problem. If you are on a temp visa you have no problems with driving on your UK licence or with your insurance (assuming that you have a current UK licence I guess). As you said, just let the insurance company know that you have a UK licence etc. We've had 1 claim since we have been here (wasnt our fault, guy ran into the back of us), no problems .