Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving Licence Requirements QLD and Tasmania

Driving Licence Requirements QLD and Tasmania

Old May 10th 2009, 3:08 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Licence Requirements QLD and Tasmania

Can a 457 visa holder continue driving on a UK driving licence indefinitely whilst in Queensland?

What about the 457 holder going on holiday to Tasmania and driving?

Thanks a lot
Old May 10th 2009, 6:28 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Driving Licence Requirements QLD and Tasmania

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Can a 457 visa holder continue driving on a UK driving licence indefinitely whilst in Queensland?

What about the 457 holder going on holiday to Tasmania and driving?

Thanks a lot
Any Temp visa holder can drive in all States whilst they hold a valid licence from their own country AND a valid temp visa.

Old May 12th 2009, 3:06 am
Account Closed

Thanks for that - Im surprised. If that person was caught for speeding how would points be added/deleted..whatever they do.. to their licence ?
Old May 12th 2009, 4:20 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks for that - Im surprised. If that person was caught for speeding how would points be added/deleted..whatever they do.. to their licence ?
Only a ine, but points could be allocated to any future Australian licence that the foreign licence is transferred to.

Old May 12th 2009, 6:24 am
Account Closed

Quite an oversight by the Gov dont you think? I am here on a 5 year 457 visa and whilst I don't plan on breaking any road traffic laws it would appear that the system is open to misuse! What is there to stop 457 visa holders running riot on the roads? We've got enough mad/idiot drivers here in Oz as it is!
Old May 12th 2009, 6:28 am
ABCDiamond

Sorry, don't understand. What's an ine?
Quite an oversight by the Gov if this is the case, eg I am here on a 5 year 457 visa and whilst I don't plan on breaking any road traffic laws it would appear that the system is open to misuse! What is there to stop 457 visa holders running riot on the roads? We've got enough mad/idiot drivers here in Oz as it is!
I could have sworn there was an F in front of ine to make fine, when I checked it

Only a Fine is payable...

Old May 12th 2009, 6:38 am
Account Closed

Once I'd posted my reply saying I didn't know what it meant I suddenly managed to work it out. Doh! (and edited my post)
Old May 12th 2009, 6:44 am
ABCDiamond

What is there to stop 457 visa holders running riot on the roads? We've got enough mad/idiot drivers here in Oz as it is!
I wonder how many of these mad/idiot drivers that we see are actually overseas 457 visa holders... from many various countries...

Old May 12th 2009, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Quite an oversight by the Gov dont you think? I am here on a 5 year 457 visa and whilst I don't plan on breaking any road traffic laws it would appear that the system is open to misuse! What is there to stop 457 visa holders running riot on the roads? We've got enough mad/idiot drivers here in Oz as it is!
Somthing called insurance! If you keep racking up speeding penalties, you'll find your next insurance premium will be nice and high. If you can afford it speed all you want.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I also suspect that a court could withdraw overseas driving licence holder privileges.
Old May 15th 2009, 2:39 am
Tarun

tarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nice

Can a person with a full Indian driving licence drive in Australia as well? In Queensland specifically....
Old May 15th 2009, 2:59 am
ABCDiamond

India is not one of the prescribed countries for automatic acceptance of driving licence conversion.

However, as a visitor, and as along as you have a valid English translaction of your licence, if required, then yes, you can join the drivers on our roads for the duration of your visa.

Old May 15th 2009, 3:03 am
Tarun

tarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nice

I came to Adelaide as a student in 2005 and was advised by the transport authority that i could drive for the duration of my student visa.

I have put in an application for an employer sponsored visa now (in Mackay, Qld) and read the thread that anyone can drive on a 457 visa?

Just wondering if it is plausible????

My licence is in English.