Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving Licence Question

Driving Licence Question

Old Dec 26th 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light
Default Driving Licence Question

Here in Oz on a 457 Visa, so temporarily for 4 years

Do i need to change my UK Driving Licence to an International one ?

Thanks

Stu
Old Dec 26th 2008, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence Question

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
Here in Oz on a 457 Visa, so temporarily for 4 years

Do i need to change my UK Driving Licence to an International one ?

Thanks

Stu
You are not allowed to change it for 6 months, then you have to get an Aussie one! we have just switched to a 175PR from a 457, so now have to get a licence within the month- awkward with everything shut for Xmas/New Year.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

jorose is a jewel in the roughjorose is a jewel in the roughjorose is a jewel in the roughjorose is a jewel in the roughjorose is a jewel in the rough

Anyone know how it works if on a student visa please?
Old Dec 26th 2008, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

shark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant future

on a student visa in QLD
you can drive on a uk licence for 3 months , but then you have to apply for a qld licence which you will need good ID like passport, credit card , visa number,etc.
To buy a car you need to register with Qld transport.
good luck
Old Dec 26th 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

I think that as a Visitor "457 maybe ?" then we can keep our UK licenses and drive for the duration of the visa on those.

Can anyone clarify ?

Stu
Old Dec 26th 2008, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

I think that as a Visitor "457 maybe ?" then we can keep our UK licenses and drive for the duration of the visa on those.

Can anyone clarify ?

Stu
Temp visor (inc Student and 457) = keep your UK license

Perm visa = get an aussie one

Bonus is they cant put points on a uk license, downside is ID can be an issue
Old Dec 27th 2008, 2:06 am
ABCDiamond

Permanent Resident

A Permanent Resident is normally allowed to drive for 3 months before needing an Australian Licence, after that period they would be classed as driving without a valid licence.

Visitors

A person on a Visitors Visa is allowed to drive a private vehicle on a valid CURRENT driving licence from their own country, for as long as they have a valid visitors visa.

Visiting motorists are required to carry their licence (and English translation if applicable) at all times while driving and produce it to Police on request. Production of their temporary visas may also be required as evidence of their temporary residential status.

Old Dec 27th 2008, 2:10 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shark bait
To clarify for Jorose, it is the car that is registered when you purchase it. You personally do not have to register yourself. If you are buying from a private seller, it would be a good idea to check with REVS http://www.consumer.qld.gov.au/OFT/O...5?OpenDocument to see whether or not the vehicle is stolen, encumbered or has been written off. Dealers are required by law to provide this information, but private sellers are not.

Last edited by The Bloke; Dec 27th 2008 at 2:16 am.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

So we need to hire a car for when the folks come over, and i need to take my car to work for one of the weeks.

Can we hire a car no sweat with a UK driving licence ?

Stu
Old Dec 27th 2008, 3:34 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

So we need to hire a car for when the folks come over, and i need to take my car to work for one of the weeks.

Can we hire a car no sweat with a UK driving licence ?

Stu

No drama, if in doubt check with Qld Transport. When you hire the car, just have the appropriate UK (and make sure your folks bring theirs) or Australian licence and credit card handy.

Last edited by The Bloke; Dec 27th 2008 at 3:36 am.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

brucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nice

Originally Posted by shark bait
on a student visa in QLD
you can drive on a uk licence for 3 months , but then you have to apply for a qld licence which you will need good ID like passport, credit card , visa number,etc.
good luck
Agreed. We are out in Brisbane on a 457 and had our licence changed within 2 weeks. You need your passport, UK licence, credit card and a bill showing your address ( ie. rental agreement)
Old Dec 27th 2008, 11:50 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan
Temp visor (inc Student and 457) = keep your UK license

Perm visa = get an aussie one

Bonus is they cant put points on a uk license, downside is ID can be an issue
But they'll throw them onto your Aussie licence once you apply for it so beware!

I was on a student visa. Got 2 speeding fines. Paid fines and no points.

Applied for QLD licence months later, and it came with 7 points missing already ...
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
But they'll throw them onto your Aussie licence once you apply for it so beware!

I was on a student visa. Got 2 speeding fines. Paid fines and no points.

Applied for QLD licence months later, and it came with 7 points missing already ...

Did you query it ??
I would have done...... probably still get them BUT if you don't ask
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you don't need to change it over, more often than not it makes life easier if you do as an Aussie Driving Licence is the best form of ID which is requested on masses of things including sending a package overseas. They don't seem to like the UK ones in some places.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Even if you don't need to change it over, more often than not it makes life easier if you do as an Aussie Driving Licence is the best form of ID which is requested on masses of things including sending a package overseas. They don't seem to like the UK ones in some places.
After spending 2.5 years in Aus I managed to survive on my UK license the entire time, this did NOT incur any points, just fines (which is fine) and never had an issue where I thought 'I wish I had an Aus driving licence'.

For me, the long er you can hold onto a UK licence the better as regardless of how you drive and your own intuition and capabilities, you will get nicked at some time...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.