Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving licence in Queensland??

Driving licence in Queensland??

Old May 11th 2006, 7:37 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light
Cool Driving licence in Queensland??

Does anyone know what you have to do when you arrive in Brisbane about driving licences?? Do you have to take any tests or can you continue driving on a UK licecce or a international licence?? Can anyone give us some info?
Thanks

pete.
Old May 11th 2006, 7:55 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence in Queensland??

Originally Posted by pete jackson
Does anyone know what you have to do when you arrive in Brisbane about driving licences?? Do you have to take any tests or can you continue driving on a UK licecce or a international licence?? Can anyone give us some info?
Thanks

pete.

try

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...licensing_home
Old May 11th 2006, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pete jackson
Thanks

pete.
I've been researching this too and from what I have found out, if emigrating you have 3 months on arrival in which to swap your UK for a Qld license. If however you are just visiting, you can drive on the UK license for 12 months!

In order to swap licenses you have to take a theory test which costs $15, on their version of the highway code. Its called "Your keys to driving in Queensland". If you do a search on google you can find it really easily and download the whole 200 page plus Pdf to start studying!! Not that much different from UK just couple of different road signs and more advice on how to overtake roadtrains and such hazards that we might not get in UK.

I think it is possible that if you get an international license, it might give you 12 months from entry in which to swap over but I'm really not sure if that's true or not.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:49 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sparkley23
I've been researching this too and from what I have found out, if emigrating you have 3 months on arrival in which to swap your UK for a Qld license. If however you are just visiting, you can drive on the UK license for 12 months!

In order to swap licenses you have to take a theory test which costs $15, on their version of the highway code. Its called "Your keys to driving in Queensland". If you do a search on google you can find it really easily and download the whole 200 page plus Pdf to start studying!! Not that much different from UK just couple of different road signs and more advice on how to overtake roadtrains and such hazards that we might not get in UK.

I think it is possible that if you get an international license, it might give you 12 months from entry in which to swap over but I'm really not sure if that's true or not.
Thanks for that, sound not to bad!
Old May 11th 2006, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you only need to take the theory test. You have to get 9/10 on give ways and then 18/20 on the rest which is basically the road signs, how far you can part before a bus stop etc. You do need to learn them as some of the questions are very specific. If you happen to fail you can just go back the next day and have another go.
Old May 11th 2006, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

They always put the alchohol limit on the test apparently. Took hubby 3 goes to pass it,but he didn't really bother reading the book the first time I faied by 1 question first go,shame on me,but they go through the answers with you & explain anything you've mis-understood. So when I went back the day after,I was lucky to get the same set of questions Needless to say I passed.
Old May 12th 2006, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

fox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by woogle
They always put the alchohol limit on the test apparently. Took hubby 3 goes to pass it,but he didn't really bother reading the book the first time I faied by 1 question first go,shame on me,but they go through the answers with you & explain anything you've mis-understood. So when I went back the day after,I was lucky to get the same set of questions Needless to say I passed.

I passed mine on Monday and my other half failed by 1.It is pretty straight forward but most Brits struggle with the give way so it is worth swatting up before you take it . Make your happy with your appearance as if you pass they take your photo and print your licence there and then :scared:
Old May 12th 2006, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Overseas or interstate you have 3 months from when you take up residency in Qld to change your licence over, taking up residency does not mean permanent residency visa, if you take up residency on any visa then the 3 months start. If you are on a tourist visa or you have no intention of staying then you can drive upto a year on you UK Licence, do not waste your time or money in getting an international driving licence, they are really only useful if you are going to non English speaking countries.
Old May 12th 2006, 1:55 am
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

This is a useful page if you're taking you're theory test.

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...drive_yourkeys

Old May 12th 2006, 2:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fox's2oz
I passed mine on Monday and my other half failed by 1.It is pretty straight forward but most Brits struggle with the give way so it is worth swatting up before you take it . Make your happy with your appearance as if you pass they take your photo and print your licence there and then :scared:
They are very big on the give way rule. Learn it inside out and backwards
Old May 12th 2006, 5:51 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

I agree, i took my test on wednesday and passed 1st time wahey, i read the book back to front four times the night before, and really glad i did!!! alcohol limit was one of my questions and out of 35 i got 1 wrong - which incidentally was bloody give way!!! if all else fails, simple rule give way to the right whether you understand it or not!!!

anyway it wasnt that bad, sat in a huge open plan office where everyone could see and did my test!! really bizarre but there ya go, issued with licence there and then!!
regards
vb2

Originally Posted by moneypen20
They are very big on the give way rule. Learn it inside out and backwards
Old May 12th 2006, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

selina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BKate
This is a useful page if you're taking you're theory test.

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...drive_yourkeys

hi all, does anyone know where you can take this theory test? have looked on the transport websites but can't seem to find it. wondered is it was just in brisbane or do they have places on the sunshine coast that you can take it too? any ideas anyone? selina
Old May 12th 2006, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

fox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by selina
hi all, does anyone know where you can take this theory test? have looked on the transport websites but can't seem to find it. wondered is it was just in brisbane or do they have places on the sunshine coast that you can take it too? any ideas anyone? selina
I took mine in Caloundra and i would imagine there are others on the sunshine coast in Maroochy and Noosa.
Old May 12th 2006, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Originally Posted by selina
Dept of transport office, Nambour, Tewantin, Caloundra, Maroochydore
Old May 12th 2006, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

This rule does not apply if you are on a 457 business visa and in this case you can drive for the 4 years until you get your pr and then you have the 3 months from the pr as you have stated above. and yes an international licence does entitle you to drive here for one year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.