Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving licence in Queensland.

Driving licence in Queensland.

Old Jun 11th 2005, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

JG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really nice
Default Driving licence in Queensland.

Hi,
Sure this has been asked before but how easy is it to get a licence in Queensland? I know you have to sit a theory multiple choice test but how quickly can that be organised after arrival? I ask because we have agreed to buy a car from a son of a friend out there who will deliver the car on our day of arrival and we were wondering if we will be legal to drive it on an international licence?!! Thanks
Old Jun 11th 2005, 5:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence in Queensland.

You can drive in Qld for three months on your UK licence, as a newly arrived PR, before you ned to convert the licence to an Aussie one.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Cat_Harrison is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JG04
Hi,
Sure this has been asked before but how easy is it to get a licence in Queensland? I know you have to sit a theory multiple choice test but how quickly can that be organised after arrival? I ask because we have agreed to buy a car from a son of a friend out there who will deliver the car on our day of arrival and we were wondering if we will be legal to drive it on an international licence?!! Thanks

I heard off the in-laws that the test is very straight forward... 8/10 on 1 side of the paper and 9/10 on the otherside
Old Jun 11th 2005, 10:59 pm
Wanna-be Pommie B******s

Gaz&Rach is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Cat_Harrison
I heard off the in-laws that the test is very straight forward... 8/10 on 1 side of the paper and 9/10 on the otherside
It's 9/10 on first part which is all about giving way to the right at intersections, who gives way to who at t junctions and roundabouts, etc. Then the econd part is 18/20 which is about signs, parking distances from bus-stops, etc.

I've not drove in UK for about 2-3 years and have never drove in Australia and I passed first time. As long as you get the driving rules book (equivelant to the highway code) and revise a bit then you'll be fine.

After you revise you can go in with id and proof of permanent residency in QLD, fill in forms, pay fee ($15.50) and sit the test there and then. It's marked straight away and if you pass you have your photo taken and get your licence card (these cost varying amounts depending on wether you want 1,2,3,4 or 5 year licence. If you fail you have to wait a day before you can go back and do it again. No appointments needed, just turn up.

R
Old Jun 12th 2005, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

JG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really nice

Cheers! That's a big help and a relief to know that our car won't be sitting in the driveway! Thanks a lot for the help.

Originally Posted by JG04
Hi,
Old Jun 12th 2005, 10:24 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Once you've passed and say you purchase a 5 year licence, after 5 years do you just renew for another 5 and so on?
Old Jun 12th 2005, 10:31 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gaz&Rach
I've not drove in UK for about 2-3 years and have never drove in Australia and I passed first time. As long as you get the driving rules book (equivelant to the highway code) and revise a bit then you'll be fine.
Smarty pants!!!!!!!!!

Ok so I didn't revise much.....thought i'd be ok .... but i failed .......passed on my 2nd attempt tho after giving the book a severe bashing The give way bits can be a bit vague though........well I thought so
Old Jun 12th 2005, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Whenever my hubby took his they asked to see his medicare card, british driving license, credit card and also a utility bill.

Good luck

Katie
Old Jun 12th 2005, 11:17 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

I am determined (bloody minded) not to read the book - taken it twice and failed twice. Bloody stupid obscure junction rules !. Passed the 18/20 bit but keep getting 2 wrong on the give-ways.

Mrs Spalen passed 1st time , but she'd cheated and done some practice. I am a bloke I dont need to read manuals.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
I am determined (bloody minded) not to read the book - taken it twice and failed twice. Bloody stupid obscure junction rules !. Passed the 18/20 bit but keep getting 2 wrong on the give-ways.

Mrs Spalen passed 1st time , but she'd cheated and done some practice. I am a bloke I dont need to read manuals.

Must be a killer trying to guess the parking distances from level crossings, junctions, pedestrian crossings, school zones etc without reading the manual! They're all different, and fairly arbitrary.

Not that I can remember any of the distances now of course I read the manual because I was curious what the heck some signs meant. e.g on a motorway I saw big sign above lanes saying 2P, and then in parking lots I saw signs saying 3P. Now I could guess 2P meant the car must have two people to use that lane, but did that mean you had to have 3 people to use that parking space?

Anyway, its a good read, though the plot was fairly predictable and a crap ending, I thnk John Grisham wrote it.

JTL
Old Jun 12th 2005, 1:51 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Must be a killer trying to guess the parking distances from level crossings, junctions, pedestrian crossings, school zones etc without reading the manual! They're all different, and fairly arbitrary.

Not that I can remember any of the distances now of course I read the manual because I was curious what the heck some signs meant. e.g on a motorway I saw big sign above lanes saying 2P, and then in parking lots I saw signs saying 3P. Now I could guess 2P meant the car must have two people to use that lane, but did that mean you had to have 3 people to use that parking space?

Anyway, its a good read, though the plot was fairly predictable and a crap ending, I thnk John Grisham wrote it.

JTL
That was the challenge mate....how far can you drive in a special lane when overtaking 50m or 100m... or not at all.... Hmmmmm I guessed not at all, it was 50m... that was what I got wrong. If I knew all the answers it'd be boring, its better value for 15$ than putting 15$ in the pokies ;-)
Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:21 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen

i was determined not to read the book and failed by 1 in cairns. did it the second time in port douglas police station and the cop gave me a few answers i was stuck on. gotta love regional queensland!
Old Jun 13th 2005, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

I did my theory test in NSW (I was living there then), and it was a case of going for the long option

(sort of) example

When driving down a suburban street where schoolchildren are paying by the side of the road do you:

A. Speed up
B. Close your eyes
C. Slow down and drive with extra care, since young children get easily distracted and may run out into the road without looking, particularly to chase a ball
Old Jun 13th 2005, 12:59 pm
ah-beng

to be honest the Qld one is like that too.

But there are som b'rd questions like the one I described, 50m, 100m, or not at all...
Old Jun 13th 2005, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Hubby was asked some tricky ones about alcohol levels in the blood, ie how much alcohol and how long does it take a unit to leave your blood etc, that may need a bit of reading about before hand.

Katie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.