Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving licence in OZ

Driving licence in OZ

Old Nov 12th 2004, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

pozzies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving licence in OZ

What do I have to do to get an Australian drivers licence when I get there? please don't tell me I have to have another test!!
Old Nov 12th 2004, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence in OZ

I can speak on this subject with some kind of authority, as I went for my licence yesterday and passed first time!!!!!!!

In QLD, you must complete a drivers written test, within 3 months of your arrival in Oz. ( After that, you must do a 'practical' driving test AND a written 'theory' test ).

It's not so hard, you just go to the transport agency, buy a written test theory book, do your homework and "rock up" ( as I was told by the guy on the 'phone, no appointment necessary ) and do the test.

It costs $15 to do the test and $65 for a 5 year licence.

Good luck and DON'T WORRY!!!!!!!
Old Nov 12th 2004, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
I can speak on this subject with some kind of authority, as I went for my licence yesterday and passed first time!!!!!!!

In QLD, you must complete a drivers written test, within 3 months of your arrival in Oz. ( After that, you must do a 'practical' driving test AND a written 'theory' test ).

It's not so hard, you just go to the transport agency, buy a written test theory book, do your homework and "rock up" ( as I was told by the guy on the 'phone, no appointment necessary ) and do the test.

how long did you study for before you went for it? and how many do you have to get right?

Trish
Old Nov 12th 2004, 1:33 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Perth 40 bucks for the test and 103 bucks (or there abouts) for new license and uk license transfer.

Easy peasy, all on the internet for you to practice then off to the driving centre for the test all on computer.

Recent thread on here to do the test, try a search

Walla
Old Nov 12th 2004, 6:29 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Second all that: Mrs Rog & I both got NSW licences at first try, after practising on the RTA site.

The pass mark is quite high - you can only fail I think 1 question in each section - but 95% of the questions are common sense and can be answered without the slightest knowledge of the local rules.

You are most likely to get a question wrong not by not knowing the right answer but by jumping in too fast and not READING the page correctly! The easiest ones to get wrong are those with three pictures, one of which is right. I thing their computer places the answers onscreen at random, and if you have a choice of A, B and C as the answers - CHECK THAT THE A B and C PICTURES ARE IN THE SAME ORDER ! It's only too easy to miss that they go say C, A and B!

Anyway, you can take the test as many times as you have to - just might get expensive!
Old Nov 12th 2004, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it the same sort of thing in Victoria?
Old Nov 12th 2004, 7:50 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

heres two things that might help
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...est/index.html

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...uh_english.pdf

soapy
Old Nov 12th 2004, 8:09 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pozzies
What do I have to do to get an Australian drivers licence when I get there? please don't tell me I have to have another test!!
If you are becoming a permanent resident then yes you have to convert your license. In NSW it an computer based knowledge test. As rog says easy to fail and worth reading up on to know the gotchas.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bondipom
If you are becoming a permanent resident then yes you have to convert your license. In NSW it an computer based knowledge test. As rog says easy to fail and worth reading up on to know the gotchas.
What about on a 457, lasting 2 years (will be applying for PR later when I get there)
Cas
Old Nov 12th 2004, 11:19 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pozzies
Here's the test for WA

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/l...uiz/index.html

Walla
Old Nov 12th 2004, 11:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
What about on a 457, lasting 2 years (will be applying for PR later when I get there)
Cas
You may or may not have to get an Aus licence. Depends on the state - check the rules.

If you don't have to do the practical test it makes sense to get an Aus licence because it's a useful id document, although it does mean you get demerit points for speeding etc as well as fines.

Jeremy