British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Driving Licence info needed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/driving-licence-info-needed-117227/)

Santa Nov 13th 2002 3:59 pm

Driving Licence info needed

Hi all,
We will be going to Perth early 2003, do any of you know what we need to do about our driving licences, do we need to pass tests ?, can you carry on with the UK Licence ?. We will be in Perth on a Temp Work Visa to start with, does this alter anything ?. Any information much appreciated
regards
Santa.

pommie bastard Nov 14th 2002 1:50 am

Re: Driving Licence info needed

Originally posted by Santa
Hi all,
We will be going to Perth early 2003, do any of you know what we need to do about our driving licences, do we need to pass tests ?, can you carry on with the UK Licence ?. We will be in Perth on a Temp Work Visa to start with, does this alter anything ?. Any information much appreciated
regards
Santa.

Look been here 9 years never bothered with one its a rip off more like a tax , you should get it after 3 months in Australia. Cost with test in your case that comes down to just eye test etc ,will cost well over $100 with first years licence,
:D :cool:

Call me AL Nov 14th 2002 10:23 pm

Hi all,
regards
Santa.

Santa,
Hope you understood PB's ravings, I didn't. Yes you can use your UK licence while not a resident. When you want to change you have to take a 'theory' test, just multiple choice 40 or so questions on a computer, much like they've brought in in UK. No problem to those with common sense! Also an eye test. Yes you have to pay, but it works out to about 10 quid a year to renew it.
Good luck, AL

pommie bastard Nov 14th 2002 10:55 pm

Originally posted by Call me AL
Santa,
Hope you understood PB's ravings, I didn't. Yes you can use your UK licence while not a resident. When you want to change you have to take a 'theory' test, just multiple choice 40 or so questions on a computer, much like they've brought in in UK. No problem to those with common sense! Also an eye test. Yes you have to pay, but it works out to about 10 quid a year to renew it.
Good luck, AL

Are you paid in pounds Sir , wish I was it costs $35 per year much harder to earn than your pounds , my British one cost 10 pounds for life that is all I am prepared to pay.
Work out how much this con would cost you over a life time its a case of milking it for all its worth, I pay enough to the goverment now.:D :cool: :beer:

ywoods Nov 15th 2002 7:08 am

Hiya Santa...

As previously advised, you do not need an Aussie license while on a temp visa. As soon as you become permanent resident, then you will need to sit your theory within 3 months

I did mine a couple of weeks ago and I passed no worries, it is as the UK one, multiple questions (32 of) and you have to get higher than 78% :)

Yvonne :D

Hi all,
regards
Santa.

Santa Nov 15th 2002 9:53 am

Thanks for the replies, Pommie's posts read as though he's had a good lunch !.
regards
Santa