Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DRIVING LICENCE - Good news but too late for us

Wikiposts

DRIVING LICENCE - Good news but too late for us

Old Jan 26th 2005, 4:48 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default DRIVING LICENCE - Good news but too late for us

On 19th January the law in NSW and Victoria changed (I do not know about the other states) We no longer need to take the computer driving test just show your UK licence and they will take your phot and issue you an australian one Wish we had known on 5th January we paid out $64 to take the tests - that will teach me to not put things off until tomorrow.............Grrrrrrrr
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:22 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: DRIVING LICENCE - Good news but too late for us

Originally Posted by yafm
On 19th January the law in NSW and Victoria changed (I do not know about the other states) We no longer need to take the computer driving test just show your UK licence and they will take your phot and issue you an australian one Wish we had known on 5th January we paid out $64 to take the tests - that will teach me to not put things off until tomorrow.............Grrrrrrrr

Unlucky - just answered your other thread about this too!
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:38 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

You still have to pay to get the licence though.
And didn't you have fun reading the manual? You must be a better driver for it?
Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:37 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
You still have to pay to get the licence though.
And didn't you have fun reading the manual? You must be a better driver for it?
If you have a NSW licence, is it ok to use in Queensland, or do you have to apply and sit a test in QLD as well
Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:47 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

good news for me though as its the same for germans
Old Jan 27th 2005, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
good news for me though as its the same for germans
What, they don't even check you can read english?

What happens when you see the 'Wrong way, go back' sign, if you can't read english?

(ahh where is the shaking head smilie?)

JTL
Old Jan 27th 2005, 1:17 am

aidbish is an unknown quantity at this point

ur all lucky
i live in Guernsey (part of british isles), qld transport says i have to take practical as well as theory as they do not recongonise my Guernsey driving license, as it's not issued by the DVLA but by The States of Guernsey
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aidbish
ur all lucky
i live in Guernsey (part of british isles), qld transport says i have to take practical as well as theory as they do not recongonise my Guernsey driving license, as it's not issued by the DVLA but by The States of Guernsey
That is correct. Dependent and external territory areas do not qualify for recognition unless specifically identified.

Why not ask the Guernsey licensing authority to take it up officially with VicRoads (who maintain the recognition list that most of the states use)?

Same goes for anyone living in the Isle of Man and Jersey. Plus anyone living in a British territory (eg Gibraltar, Falkland Islands, Bermuda etc).

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 27th 2005 at 10:28 am.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
If you have a NSW licence, is it ok to use in Queensland, or do you have to apply and sit a test in QLD as well
As a visitor - use your NSW licence.

If you move to the state - you must swap it for a QLD one within 3 months. There should be no test.

To be sure, go to the relevant website and look up the rules for interstate drivers.

Jeremy