driving licence & de-facto visa

driving licence & de-facto visa

Old Aug 11th 2003, 4:46 am
LKB
Just Joined

LKB is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile driving licence & de-facto visa

Hi

We have made it to Sydney and I have been trying to find out whether I need to change my driving licence over? I went to an RTA office and they said only permanent residents have to change their licences over. I tried to show the man my visa and he wasn't interested. I then emailed RTA and they just replied with extracts of their website...arghhh!

I have a Class UF Provisional Resident Visa Sub Class 309 which will be reviewed again in 2 years and will then become permanent. Does anyone know whether this means I do not need to get a NSW licence for the first 2 years as I only have a provisional visa?

I'd be grateful for any advice!

Thank you!

louisa
Old Aug 11th 2003, 5:39 am
Semper Vigilante

ButtonMoon is an unknown quantity at this point

A nice cop once told me that if you reside in australia for a period of three months or more continuously then you have to apply for an Oz licence.You'd be better off doing it now as the drivers licence is very useful for applying for credit, to open bank accounts etc..In Victoria you have to take a multi-guess test and a driving test, but the examiners assess you with more leniancy than a learner.you might want to brush up on the skills with alesson or two before, it's amazing what bad habits you pick up...!