Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving Licence and Car Import

Driving Licence and Car Import

Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

jmoseley will become famous soon enough
Default Driving Licence and Car Import

I'm a long way off from moving (Application went to agent yesterday) but my head is spinning like i'm moving tomorrow.
Ive been and driven in Australia before but will I need to take a Australian driving test when we move out?
Also, has anyone any experience of taking their vehicle with them, and what's involved, costs, customs clearence, liquids extracted (fuel, oil, brake fluid) from vehicle etc.

thanks
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence and Car Import

Originally Posted by jmoseley
I'm a long way off from moving (Application went to agent yesterday) but my head is spinning like i'm moving tomorrow.
Ive been and driven in Australia before but will I need to take a Australian driving test when we move out?
Also, has anyone any experience of taking their vehicle with them, and what's involved, costs, customs clearence, liquids extracted (fuel, oil, brake fluid) from vehicle etc.

thanks
You won't need to take a driving test here in WA just an eye test, not sure about other states, do a search on importing vehicles loads of threads about the subject but gather the general consensus is unless you have a real classic don't bother

Good Luck

John
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:34 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

thanks

FFS, why don't people use the search facility and try to find the HUNDREDS of threads and answers before asking again and again and again?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 11:11 pm

dazah is an unknown quantity at this point

im new to this site

all you will have to do is the computer test for road laws in victoria depending how long you have been driving you can drive on your uk one for about 6 munths

its all i did when i moved back to australia after been in the uk from the age of 3

and for importing your car. i for one sold my car and bought a new jaguar over here
Old Mar 29th 2008, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Bloke
FFS, why don't people use the search facility and try to find the HUNDREDS of threads and answers before asking again and again and again?
...because that's what a forum is for.

There's no need to be so aggressive.

To the original poster, I haven't had experience of shipping a car, but it's something I'm considering too. It does seem quite expensive though. There's some useful information on this website:

http://www.karmanshipping.co.uk/aust...australia.html

Last edited by rushmere; Mar 29th 2008 at 11:34 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:23 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
http://australia.wikia.com/wiki/Brit...portingYourCar
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

jmoseley will become famous soon enough

Thank you all for your replies.

To the Bloke, get a life instead of looking at forums for something to complain about.