Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

driving licence and buying car

driving licence and buying car

Old Jun 17th 2003, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default driving licence and buying car

I am going on a working holiday visa next year and will probably buy a cheap car to get about, can anyone tell me if i need a international driving licence.

I have the old type paper licence right now and have been thinking of getting or upgrading to the photo type licence for the uk would i best get myself one of these or get the international one or get both.

If the paper one is fine to use when away thats great to here but i like the look of the photo one and would get one anyway but needed to know which one i best get.

also can someone tell me what other things needs to be done when buying a car in oz, in the uk there is insurance i beleive its an option over there is this correct also is there mot like here in uk and road tax what other cost might i watch out for.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

lx470 is an unknown quantity at this point

A Valid UK (paper or photocard) licence is acceptable in Australia.

Valid up to 3 months if you decide to stay permenantly in any state then you need to take Driving Knowledge Test. If you have full UK licence you do not need to take the Driving Test.

Unless you have a Permenant residence visa then you are consider temp.

Car are the same, if you intend staying >3 months in another State from where the car is registered then you must register in that State.

As Australia is a collection of States Insurance and costs vary between states. Look at the respective State based motoring organisations and the various State Motoring Departments.

Use any Search engine.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

The Jacksons is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

From what I was told when validating :
1. You cannot get a Australian d/l on a working visa only a permenant res visa.
2. You can get an international driving licence which will allow you to drive for 12 months in Australia but I would check that out before you go as this was only told to me by an Australian real estate agent!! so no guarantees there!!!!

Not sure if I`ve helped or just confused you all the more!

Jacko
Old Jun 18th 2003, 12:25 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: driving licence and buying car

You'll be able to drive on your old paper one. That's the one I have (pink). I think there is one big hole in the law here. For four years I was on a non PR visa. I couldn't get an Aussie license - I tried. I was told by the staff behind the QLD transport desk - that I couldn't have one because I was not PR or a citizen. I have been stopped by police and have told them the exact same thing, when they have asked "why have you not got an Aussie licence"?. I've had to explain to them too. The answer from them is "I'll have to check up on that" - they never get back to me. I have even paid speeding fines by using the Brit licence number, and have produced my licence at police stations. There is one big hole in the law.

I have registered the private car by using an over 18 card - they did not even want to see my driving licence,( other vehicle is a company car/company insurance). You get basic insurance when you register the car - third party. (just covers other people in an accident) .

changing your paper one for a photo licence is a personal choice. It may be a good ideajust for the photo ID - for things like opening bank accounts etc posting parcels abroad (you need Id to post a parcel abroad now in the post offices - security after all these terrorist attacks ) . Because I have the old paper one and could not get a licence here I went out and got an aussue over 18 photo card (Id card) . The transport issues them, same place as you get your driving licence (you can get one of these even as a temp resident).

There are different laws for different states. find the transport web site in your state and look there. It will say (the Qld one does anyway) Citizens and permanent residents need a Qld license after three months of residing here in the state.

The car itself like the above person has said needs to be registered in the state you are driving it/living in - but saying that , we had a company vehicle with a NSW plate for eight months in QLD - shouldn't have, they are cracking down on things like that now.

Buying a cheap car - go to the auctions in the week where half the dealers get theirs - you'll save a few thousand. If you do not know much about cars, get someone from a garage to look over the car for you on "viewing day" before auction day. If the auctions is an authorised dealer (ie Qld transport authorised) they will be able to help you too with inspections etc.

Confusing I know - but to be honest with you I do think there are big flaws in the laws here - check out the relevant state transport site, and if you can't find the answers you want try emailing them
cheers

P.S I'm still driving on my Brit one and have PR, been Pr for two years now. I have also produced my licence in this time too, paid fines. Bl**dy speed cameras ! . Anyway, I should be driving on an Aussie license. I haven't got round to getting it yet. Don't do as I do if you don't want to break the law. Anyway non Pr and Citizens the Brit licence is ok, perfectly legal.

Did you know the Aussies in Britain do not need to take a test? nice eh? they just fill out a form to get theirs - no test, theory or practical. Nice bit of an agreement between Aus and Britain - I don't think!

Don't get me started - lol, they also can have use of our free ambulances in Britain - where we (all people) pay for them in Aus.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 18th 2003 at 1:47 am.
Old Jun 18th 2003, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Location: lincolnshire South of Perth by end of October 03 Please
crabtree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: driving licence and buying car

Originally posted by brian.w
I am going on a working holiday visa next year and will probably buy a cheap car to get about, can anyone tell me if i need a international driving licence.

I have the old type paper licence right now and have been thinking of getting or upgrading to the photo type licence for the uk would i best get myself one of these or get the international one or get both.

If the paper one is fine to use when away thats great to here but i like the look of the photo one and would get one anyway but needed to know which one i best get.

also can someone tell me what other things needs to be done when buying a car in oz, in the uk there is insurance i beleive its an option over there is this correct also is there mot like here in uk and road tax what other cost might i watch out for.

Information I have picked up on Western Australia

No MOT but if you are stopped for driving an unroadworthy vehicle, the car must be taken to an approved garage for inspection and repair.

Registration costs about $400 per year.
$12 to change registration detail when buying.

Stamp duty on all cars I think its 3% of the purchase price.

I am not sure about the driving licence untill now I thought you had to take the theory within 3 months even if temporary resident.

To look at cars, dealers and other information you may find usefull.

www.autotrader.com.au

Tony C