Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving - Licence Address & Insurance

Driving - Licence Address & Insurance

Old Jan 24th 2005, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Driving - Licence Address & Insurance

Prior to moving over to Sydney I was planning on changing my UK driving licence to my mothers address (as we are selling our house plus I can then get a photocard licence without paying extra).

But if I get a letter from my insurance company detailing my UK NCB (about 7 or 8 years) it will show the address of my property I am selling and not my mothers address as my driving licence will show.

Will this cause any problems will Australian Insurance & getting an initial discount?

Also we are planning on driving down the East coast for a couple of months before arriving in Sydney. Our plan is to buy a cheapish car (any suggestions on the model very welcome) and drive us to Sydney. What do I do about insurance as I won't have an address and I don't know anyone in Australia who's address I could use if they need one.

Thanks
Old Jan 24th 2005, 10:32 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Driving - Licence Address & Insurance

Originally Posted by spottydog
Prior to moving over to Sydney I was planning on changing my UK driving licence to my mothers address (as we are selling our house plus I can then get a photocard licence without paying extra).

But if I get a letter from my insurance company detailing my UK NCB (about 7 or 8 years) it will show the address of my property I am selling and not my mothers address as my driving licence will show.

Will this cause any problems will Australian Insurance & getting an initial discount?

Also we are planning on driving down the East coast for a couple of months before arriving in Sydney. Our plan is to buy a cheapish car (any suggestions on the model very welcome) and drive us to Sydney. What do I do about insurance as I won't have an address and I don't know anyone in Australia who's address I could use if they need one.

Thanks
The insurance company do not compare the driving licence address to the NCD proof address. But even if they did, you just tell them what you did. You could always keep a photo copy of the old licence just in case.

Insurance ? Good question. You could contact one of the insurance companies now, and ask them. www.aami.com.au is a good one.

Old Jan 25th 2005, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

teagg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - couple of points,
I'd get an international drivers licence (either via the RAC or the AA - usually only about 5 or 10 quid) and use that - especially when getting a NSW licence - the reason being that they hole punch or otherwise mutilate your UK licence - which if you don't mind it, then that's ok - but it really bothered me...
search online and find the RTA's website to do an online dummy test of the Driver Knowledge Test that you'll need to do here eventually... and also printout the book but do so on a colour printer - then you can take your time over looking at it/learning it!
Also negotiate with the company you buy the car from for them to transfer it into your name (you'll need an Aus licence to do this - hence the second point above) - otherwise I'm told it's a pain - but more importantly it costs quite a bit to transfer - others may be able to give you better information - but on a 30/32k dollar car it was about 1k.

HTH
Old Jan 25th 2005, 12:20 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by teagg
search online and find the RTA's website to do an online dummy test of the Driver Knowledge Test that you'll need to do here eventually... and also printout the book but do so on a colour printer - then you can take your time over looking at it/learning it!
I seem to remember a few posts here lately stating a change in regulations which means that you do not have to sit the DK test in a few states NSW included. Have a quick search and check otherwise could be wasted effort.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 3:23 am
ABCDiamond

You need an Australian Address to get an Australian Drivers licence, and I think that's the posters main problem. Even without a theory test, (in NSW, WA & VIC) you need to prove residency in that State. (Phone Bill, Rent Agreement etc), to get the State licence.

Something I have wondered about; If you need an Australian Licence to buy a car, (which is what I also found in NSW in 2001), how do backpackers buy their vehicles ?

Old Jan 25th 2005, 5:17 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Something I have wondered about; If you need an Australian Licence to buy a car, (which is what I also found in NSW in 2001), how do backpackers buy their vehicles ?

You don't need an Aussie licence to buy a car in QLD as I did just that with an Irish licence.
I did show credit card bills etc. to prove I was living here.

Though I cannot understand what the fuss is about! I just wanted to buy a car so would it matter if I didn't llive here? Would they think I was trying to smuggle it out of the country?? I think it is a mandatory thing for ownership in case of legal issues such as speeding etc that they have your address on file.
So while you don't need an Aussie licence, I reckon you will need an Aussie address to register the car (and proof that you are living there).
Sure there is a car salesman on here somewhere? Maybe he could help. Failing that contact one of the large dealerships here and show "genuine" interest in their range of fine quality top of the range cars, they will do tehir best to help answer your questions.

Andrew
Old Jan 25th 2005, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

wortho is an unknown quantity at this point

the reason being that they hole punch or otherwise mutilate your UK licence - which if you don't mind it, then that's ok - but it really bothered me...

They just stamped mine to say I had been issue with NSW licence, have the RTA the power to cancel your UK licence by hole punching it or whatever.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

teagg is an unknown quantity at this point

..have the RTA the power to cancel your UK licence by hole punching it or whatever.[/QUOTE]
I don't know - but on the basis that they weren't going to issue me with the NSW one until I'd handed over my (actually very attractive photo of me - vain, I know, but true - and rare! = ie rare that it's a nice photo of me!) pink plastic UK licence... In fact I'd sat there and resigned myself to having a hole punched out of it, by thinking that I could then holepunch my other plastic cards and then put them all on a ring thing so that I'd be vastly organised...
and the bint couldn't find her holepunch, got out a huge pair of shears (ok slight exaggeration) and carved a huge uneven V shape out of one short side.
(deep breath, calming thoughts, and the realisation that enough make up and another good photo could be taken).
Sorry chaps - I'm tired, it's too late, I still need to call the UK, and I'm obviously tripping on the lack of sleep...
ttfn
teagg
Old Jan 25th 2005, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wortho
the reason being that they hole punch or otherwise mutilate your UK licence - which if you don't mind it, then that's ok - but it really bothered me...

They just stamped mine to say I had been issue with NSW licence, have the RTA the power to cancel your UK licence by hole punching it or whatever.

We got told at Vicroads that the hole punched in it does not cancel it. Its still good to use in the UK.