Driving Licence

Old Jul 20th 2004, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Licence

Help anyone?

As it gets nearer more things to think about. I know you need to take a driving test in Oz within a certain time once you get there. I am assuming that you then get an Oz driving licence - but do you need to have a UK photo licence or are you alright with the old style paper one. I'm ok but Muzzwoman still has paper one and we just want to check this will be ok.

Muzzman

Less than 4 weeks :scared:
Old Jul 20th 2004, 8:34 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

I was also worried about this so I took my old paper licence down our local post office last Saturday to get it all sorted.

All you need to do is take your old paper licence and your passport and fill in a "D1" form which you can get there. You then hand it all over the counter, they check your passport and give it back to you. They attach your old licence to the D1 form and send it off the the DVLA for you.

They charge £19 for the new licence and another £4 for doing the check over the counter which saves you having to part with your passport.

Oh - you also have to take a passport sized photo of yourself to stick into the D1 form.

Turnaround time was quoted as 2 weeks which isn't too bad.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 9:23 pm
mick n cheryl

Default Re: Driving Licence

Originally posted by Muzzman
Help anyone?

As it gets nearer more things to think about. I know you need to take a driving test in Oz within a certain time once you get there. I am assuming that you then get an Oz driving licence - but do you need to have a UK photo licence or are you alright with the old style paper one. I'm ok but Muzzwoman still has paper one and we just want to check this will be ok.

Muzzman

Less than 4 weeks :scared:
Hi Muzzman'

I came over here last year with the old paper licence, no probs. You just need to take a written test within 6 months of arrival to get the Oz licence which is a photo job same as uk new ones. I would advise you and the missis do this early days though as it is the first thing people ask for as ID, so useful to have

Mick

Old Jul 20th 2004, 9:24 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mick n cheryl
You just need to take a written test within 6 months of arrival to get the Oz licence
I think it varies by state. I'm sure I read it was 3 months in QLD and WA.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Muzzman'

I came over here last year with the old paper licence, no probs. You just need to take a written test within 6 months of arrival to get the Oz licence which is a photo job same as uk new ones. I would advise you and the missis do this early days though as it is the first thing people ask for as ID, so useful to have

Mick
Cheers Mick - one less thing to do then!

Muzzman
Old Jul 20th 2004, 9:29 pm
mick n cheryl

Originally posted by wmoore
I think it varies by state. I'm sure I read it was 3 months in QLD and WA.

I am in QLD, it was 6 months last year, saying that it was 7 months before I got round to it!!!! (Never do today what you can put off to tomorrow!!!)

Mick

Old Jul 20th 2004, 9:49 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I am in QLD, it was 6 months last year, saying that it was 7 months before I got round to it!!!! (Never do today what you can put off to tomorrow!!!)

Mick
I also heard you can get away with it for a long time
Old Jul 21st 2004, 12:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Not advisable from an insurance point of view (among other things).

I was under the impression that 3 months from taking up residence was fairly universal in Australia - unless you see something definitive saying otherwise, then should should work on this basis.

Jeremy

Originally posted by wmoore
I also heard you can get away with it for a long time
Old Jul 21st 2004, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Originally posted by JAJ
Not advisable from an insurance point of view (among other things).

I was under the impression that 3 months from taking up residence was fairly universal in Australia - unless you see something definitive saying otherwise, then should should work on this basis.

Jeremy

For QLD Its 3 months if you're on a perm visa. If on a temp visa, then its NEVER!