Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

driving form uk to oz

driving form uk to oz

Old May 6th 2003, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

danjon16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default driving form uk to oz

hello , i'm looking at taking a year or so out of work and driving from uk to oz, anyone know of anyone who has done this or any other information woulod be great
Old May 6th 2003, 10:38 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: driving form uk to oz

Originally posted by danjon16
hello , i'm looking at taking a year or so out of work and driving from uk to oz, anyone know of anyone who has done this or any other information woulod be great
Geez, this is hard work. I thought you guys were all born with a silver spoon...ah forget it. I'll give a few clues but not the whole deal. You will need to do some work...

Ben

Carlin

Ford

GPA

That's it...I know where they all are...want to give it a go...???

Must leave from Deal...deal...???
Old May 6th 2003, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

i guess that they are names of people who you know are doing this trip, thanks for your help but i haven't got a scooby doo what your on about
Old May 6th 2003, 7:16 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

What is that all about?
Old May 6th 2003, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

i guess that they are names of people who you know are doing this trip, thanks for your help but i haven't got a scooby doo what your on about
Did someone mention my name
Old May 6th 2003, 8:06 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd like to think it was a well meaning joke rather than a wind-up:

Ben Carlin, proud to called a 'mad aussie' - the round the world amphibious jeep driver.....

http://www.4wdonline.com/Mil/HalfSafe.html

It would be a huge project and you'd be travelling though some tough parts of the world.

Have a look at a book called 'The wrong way home' (sorry can't remember the authors name) it's a travel book written by an Aussie returning home overland from London - he didn't drive but it's a good look at a possible route.

Cheers

Perry
Old May 7th 2003, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

thanks perry ,will have a look at the web site

yeah i know it will be ahuge project but it will be something to tell the kids when we have em.

what did you do dad before you came to oz, 'well son i sat in the same office job for too bloody long before moving to oz, or well me and yer mum drove from england to oz witnessing some purely magnificant scenery, meeting some fantastic people, gaining knowledge and experience form as many races and cultures as possible

its a crazy idea just starting to seriously think about, the only areas i will avoid is the middle east, so would have to travel through the southern russian states, unfortunately do not know much about this area or how dodgy it may be

when i was last in oz some guy done it on a bycycle, took him 2 years, i dont know his name or if he has wrote a book, but i remember he was arrested by the khymer rouge in cambodia and got fired at in nepal, but hey thats not too bad

i will also track that book down, cheers for your help

dan
Old May 7th 2003, 10:00 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kentcoast
I'd like to think it was a well meaning joke rather than a wind-up:

Ben Carlin, proud to called a 'mad aussie' - the round the world amphibious jeep driver.....

http://www.4wdonline.com/Mil/HalfSafe.html
Old May 7th 2003, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

my brother runs a Landrover accessories business www.brownchurch.co.uk and he has kitted out a few Landrovers for people doing just what you are going to do. I remember him talking about it and there are some dodgy places to go through but it is possible (I seem to recall talk of being held at gunpoint etc), you just have to have the right paperwork and know where you are going!

anyway I will get in touch with my brother and ask him if he knows anyone you can contact to ask advice or you can email him through his website, I'm sure he won't mind, he'll probably put you onto someone who can help.

Mandy

PS my Dad wanted to know if it was possible to come and visit us by car as he hates flying!!