Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving convictions....police checks

Driving convictions....police checks

Old Oct 9th 2003, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

GazzaGeorgie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving convictions....police checks

advice please....if you have driving convictions...does this come up in your police check ? does it go against you ???
reason being 10 years ago i was very very stupid and was banned for driving for drinking and driving...please can anyone advise on this....

many thanks
Old Oct 9th 2003, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough
Default Driving convictions

Hi

Today I recieved the results of my police check for Scottish criminal records, although the results are in a sealed envelope the cove letter tells me that no records are held on me in Scotland. I like you was foolish enough to have had a few too many before driving, this was in 1987, got cought done the court thing, name in loca paper - learnt my leason never done it again ...... so was surprised that nothing had been recorded. I telephoned the chap who sent the letter and was told that it was a spent conviction and no record was held and archived info was kept only ten years. It put my mind at rest I hope it helps.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 8:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Theres no definite answer on this one I'm afraid. Drink driving convictions do sometimes get put on the criminal history, but usually only if there is another offence at the same time. Also, if it was your only conviction, and it was 10 years ago, it would probably have been weeded. However, there is no guarantee that it won't still be recorded, the only way you will know is by doing a police check.
You ought to declare it just in case - and because if you don't and it comes to light later, it will make you look dishonest.

Pollyana
Old Oct 9th 2003, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Driving convictions

Originally posted by scotvness
Hi

Today I recieved the results of my police check for Scottish criminal records, although the results are in a sealed envelope the cove letter tells me that no records are held on me in Scotland. I like you was foolish enough to have had a few too many before driving, this was in 1987, got cought done the court thing, name in loca paper - learnt my leason never done it again ...... so was surprised that nothing had been recorded. I telephoned the chap who sent the letter and was told that it was a spent conviction and no record was held and archived info was kept only ten years. It put my mind at rest I hope it helps.
Thanks....
Old Oct 9th 2003, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Pollyana
Theres no definite answer on this one I'm afraid. Drink driving convictions do sometimes get put on the criminal history, but usually only if there is another offence at the same time. Also, if it was your only conviction, and it was 10 years ago, it would probably have been weeded. However, there is no guarantee that it won't still be recorded, the only way you will know is by doing a police check.
You ought to declare it just in case - and because if you don't and it comes to light later, it will make you look dishonest.

Pollyana
thanks pollyana....
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:24 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving convictions....police checks

Originally posted by GazzaGeorgie
advice please....if you have driving convictions...does this come up in your police check ? does it go against you ???
reason being 10 years ago i was very very stupid and was banned for driving for drinking and driving...please can anyone advise on this....

many thanks
There was someone on the immigration forum who had a speeding offence in Oz. The case was referred to a senior immigration officer (standard procedure). The visa was issued.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 10:00 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Pollyana

Pollyana
Hi Pollyana,
I think you are right with this one about it being "weeded" after 10 years in the UK, but I know that in the USA your record is never weeded. This translates to the UK record being clean and the USA having a list of your convictions. It could be hard to explain.

Regards
Markeh
Old Oct 9th 2003, 10:34 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Markeh,
Can only advise on the UK (& not Scotland); I don't know anything about how long the US keeps your convictions, but the only way they will know about UK convictions is if you have told them. As a normal rule, a UK conviction is only recorded in the UK, and is NOT passed to other countries.
There are exceptions of course - for instance if you are a foreign national convicted in the UK, your record MIGHT be passed to your home country. And there are occasions when the FBI or Interpol may request details of someone's record, if that person is in serious trouble abroad - these details would only be given in exceptional circumstances though, not as a matter of course.

There is NO computer which stores convictions on an international basis, so if you have a UK conviction it stays as a UK conviction. If you have a US one, it will not be on UK records, only on US records.

In 14 years of looking at them, the only foreign records I have seen on file here (UK) are ones where the subject has been deported back to the UK, or been involved in large drug cases. Likewise, there is a regular system for sending details to home countries of people convicted of drug offences here.

So assuming a person is a UK national, has only lived in the UK, and has only been convicted of something here, that record will only exist here.

(Hope that all makes sense - lots of wine has been consumed tonight!)

Pollyana

Just a note - nothing I've said here should be taken as gospel as there are exceptions to all rules, and if you have any serious concerns you should contact a lawyer.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 2:20 pm
joveazey

Default Criminal Records

Hi Pollyanna,

Don't know if you can help but our TRA assessment should be back any minute, and our agent has told us to get police checks done (due to 1st July new quicker (hopefully) processing). The agent has got our application ready to send off as soon as she gets the TRA result. The thing is, we have not declared any criminal convictions for Mark, but he had a few fights when he was young (and pathetic) and was arrested but can't remember if he was actually charged with anything. When the police checks are sent to us can we actually see them and then get the agent to amend the application if he has a record ? I know it sounds stupid not to know, but he is now 36 and it was nearly 20 years ago.

Thanks

Jo

Old Jun 24th 2004, 9:07 pm
Home and Happy

Doesn't sound stupid at all, I've dealt with many people who could remember going to court, years ago, but had blotted it out in their minds so couldn't remember whether they were convicted.
If its a Scottish police check they come in sealed envelopes,& I don't know if you get to see a copy, but if its an England/Wales one it is just a sheet of paper, and you get to see what they have written on it.
Whether your agent will amend the form, I can't tell you, but you ought to be able to see what the result of the check is at least.

Good luck