Reload this Page >

Driving and Buying Car

Driving and Buying Car

Old Aug 10th 2003, 12:12 pm
Go Cubs!!

Garazy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving and Buying Car

Hello,

I was thinking of getting a car for the duration of my working holiday visa in Australia, I am 23 years old, I was wondering what the charges are for getting a car, i.e how much is insurance, road tax, mot etc... For say, a 1995 Ford Festiva?

Also, I have a full clean UK Driving License (I have no no claims bonus in the UK though), is this sufficent for buying a car? I will be staying in Sydney for the duration of my WHV.

Thanks,

Gary
Old Aug 25th 2003, 1:23 pm
Go Cubs!!

anyone?
Old Aug 25th 2003, 5:19 pm
Badge

Originally posted by Garazy
anyone?
this is what I wrote some time ago

from a backpackers perspective : to be honest without doubt a ford falcon station wagon mid 1980s - looks like a old Ford Granada. it will be called an XE or XF if I recall correctly equipped with a straight 6 4l engine designed to go to the moon and back. With either a floor or column gear shift. Some are practically falling apart - some better. with LCD dashboard readouts etc. Mine had done 270ks and was fine. A cheaper alternative is a Sigma. When you are cruising on the highway at 100k you will get best fuel economy anyways. A common fault is gasket failure/ injector problems; timing problems can be rectified for 50 dollars.

Could cost 1500-4000k from a backpacker. East coast more expensive than west. In 2002 prices fell quite a bit for cars of 1985-1988 which is about the years backpackers are driving. The hostels are full of sales. Go to an auction backpacker cars are over priced BIG TIME selling between backpackers. Locals would be shocked to know a 1986 was advertised for 3500 in 2002. (albeit with tent, esky stove etc - the full works) .

Pay half maybe at an auction. We got a 1989 newer shape EA Falcon for 1500.

Guranteed to make a profit when you sell it to a backpacker.

IN NSW and VIC where standards are generally higher you will need a current inspection slip I think called the pink slip or Road Worthy Cert to transfer the rego to yourself (fee applies) plus duty - a percentage of the cars value - agree a lower figure for the transfer form to reduce the cost. The inspection was about 50 dollars??!! The fee - I cant remember - varies from state to state.

Try and get a WA plate as the car can be transferred without a roadworthy certificate. Hence WA cars are sought after by backpackers. Technically if you were to be resident in another state you would have to get the car plate transferred whcih involves a fee , and possibly inspected to a HIGHER standard I think eg. in NSW (blue slip rather than pink slip). But as a backpacker who cares?!!

you will also need to pay Compulsory insurance which may come with the car but is worth FA to you personally but is the legal minimum - get a quote for yourselves and the car.

If you can afford it go for a EA or EB which is the newer shape which came in about 1988. the newer shape will make it a far more enticing to sell to the next backpacker. Often has a multipoint 3.9 engine and are very nice cars IMHO. The EB went to the early 1990s before there was another face change.

Now I would add to this:

Some people talk about the issues of security - people can see what you have - and nick stuff - so a "panel van" variant could be the way to go.

I'm afraid I know nothing about extra insurance but it could be quite expensive - or taking in to account the exchange rate not such a concern. Most backpackers just had the minimum going with the car or none!

happy WHV!!

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; Aug 25th 2003 at 5:21 pm.

Old Aug 26th 2003, 7:52 am
Go Cubs!!

Thanks for the reply Mr Badger.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default Re: Driving and Buying Car

No Mot
Road tax about $250 for 6 months
Insurance - mu hubbie has a ford falcon (33yrs old but just passed his test so got no discounts etc) about $550.
But then again if you have a total heap you get 3rd party through your rego.

diane