Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving in Australia

Driving in Australia

Old Jun 24th 2007, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Wilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really nice
Question Driving in Australia

I currently live in London and although I have a licence I very rarely drive and I am starting to get worried about driving in Australia, as this is obviously the main way to get about there.
I know that I will be driving on the same side of the road and all that but would people suggest having a couple of lessons or is driving over there not as bad as I am fearing!!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:38 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Australia

It really depends on where you are but driving in australia is generally a much less stressful experience than in the UK!!

the obvious exception is in the main cities (particuarly Sydney and Melbourne). Many areas outside the maincities are quite easy to drive around, roads are generally wider with less traffic and people are a little more relaxed about letting you 'push in'!

the only thing to be aware of is that many road rules in Australia are adhered to much more strictly than in the UK! For example, don't speed - you WILL get caught, they are VERY strict on speeding drivers - especially on the motorway and other main roads. Also, don't sit in the right lane on the motorway unless you are overtaking! they are particular about things like that!

You'll be fine!

And if not then just explain that you're enlgish - they expect you english people to make mistakes!!

A
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

andeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wilso16
I currently live in London and although I have a licence I very rarely drive and I am starting to get worried about driving in Australia, as this is obviously the main way to get about there.
I know that I will be driving on the same side of the road and all that but would people suggest having a couple of lessons or is driving over there not as bad as I am fearing!!
Hi Andy,

can you imagine how afraid I am? I am from Germany which means we drive on the other side of the road.... I am so sure to have an accident because of not realising this in time that I surely will have at least one!

Just be calm! You have the advantage of already being used to the right side of the road and driving, well driving, are learning Australian youngsters also. Isn`t there an orange table with an "L" for "learner" on it available for your car?

Barbara
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

andeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really nice

Sorry, adressed it to the wrong one
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

WORSE, especially in Queensland!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:45 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

If you can drive in London ... you can drive anywhere!!

Driving in Oz (QLD) can be a frightening experience, especially if you have someone tailgating you.. and I mean like within 6 inches of your car.. but I think they just don't realise what they're doing, it's like they caught in some kind of trance and are just driving, not realising how close they are.

You might as well take the indicators off the cars, nobody uses them, and if you use them, they have no idea what you mean anyway..

You have to drive the same in all conditions... so the same for a bright dry sunny day and a rainy wet day... and if there are any accidents, the weather is to blame, not the driver!

Apart from that you'll be fine... I would suggest not buying a V8 though until you have a bit more confidence.

We've got a V8 ute (bloody hoons) and it's very interesting trying to pull away in the wet... in 1st, 2nd and 3rd...

Sonic x
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Originally Posted by SonicBird
If you can drive in London ... you can drive anywhere!!

Driving in Oz (QLD) can be a frightening experience, especially if you have someone tailgating you.. and I mean like within 6 inches of your car.. but I think they just don't realise what they're doing, it's like they caught in some kind of trance and are just driving, not realising how close they are.

You might as well take the indicators off the cars, nobody uses them, and if you use them, they have no idea what you mean anyway..

You have to drive the same in all conditions... so the same for a bright dry sunny day and a rainy wet day... and if there are any accidents, the weather is to blame, not the driver!

Apart from that you'll be fine... I would suggest not buying a V8 though until you have a bit more confidence.

We've got a V8 ute (bloody hoons) and it's very interesting trying to pull away in the wet... in 1st, 2nd and 3rd...

Sonic x
I agree - Queenslanders cannot drive. Most of them are idiots. I pass an accident practically every day going south on the Gateway motorway because of tailgating. Frustrates the hell out of me!!

But then agian that i my only gripe about Oz.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:36 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
<snip>And if not then just explain that you're enlgish - they expect you english people to make mistakes!!

A
Or Asian ...

Yeh, now put this one down for being racist ... it's a FRIGGING JOKE people!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:37 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Or Asian ...

Yeh, now put this one down for being racist ... it's a FRIGGING JOKE people!
Can I interest you in a tin hat?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:40 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Can I interest you in a tin hat?
Does it come with the pizza?

On-Topic Section
Generally the driving standard is worse than the UK, even London.

Well, I drive worse anyway, I blame the Bundy.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 3:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
WORSE, especially in Queensland!!!!!!!!!!!!
Absolutely! Get used to being tailgated, no-one letting you in if you need to change lanes in heavy traffic and everyone always driving in the far right hand lane even when there is no need to be there :curse: !

I've had Australian friends comment how much more courteous drivers generally were in the UK...even London.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Bermuda Girl is a jewel in the roughBermuda Girl is a jewel in the roughBermuda Girl is a jewel in the roughBermuda Girl is a jewel in the rough

I had similar concerns. Lived in Bermuda before I moved here, so only drove a scooter there, so apart from occasional driving in UK on holiday I'd not driven a car for 5 years before moving here.

I had intended having a few driving lessons when I first arrived (here in Sydney), but actually never got round to it. first few trips in the car after buying it were a little terrifying, but I'm okay now (9 months later).

Biggest challenge I find is the number of lanes, and therefore getting in the wrong lane. At first I was terrified of changing lanes, so often ended up being forced to go straight on when I'd wanted to go right.

Now I know my area better I plan to get in the correct lane as soon as possible. I'm also a lot braver about sticking my indicator on and waiting for somebody to let me in (which they generally do I find).

A lesson may have been a good idea, but if you want to save on that cost just try to do some driving when the roads are quieter to build up confidence. In the end it won't be as bad as you fear!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 4:42 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
Also, don't sit in the right lane on the motorway unless you are overtaking! they are particular about things like that!

A
Don't sit in the right lane????.... you are obviously NOT from Perth!!!
I have never seen so many drivers sitting at 80-90km/h who are completely un aware that others may actually be using the same stretch of freeway and may want to travel at 100km/h (when safe to do 100km/h) :curse:
Old Jun 26th 2007, 6:23 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Driving will be a doddle in OZ compared to London.

Still alot of idiots on the roads though. I nearly fall asleep at the wheel sometimes though. The roads are long and boring.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:07 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Ph yeah, sorry, when I said don't sit in the right lane I was referring to NSW where they are pretty strict on that sort of thing!

In WA though its a bit differnet (probably because its full of English people - he he he)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.