Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving around Australia

Driving around Australia

Old Apr 2nd 2019, 12:27 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving around Australia

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Quite right... We start our grey nomad apprenticeship on Friday id say.... Should be camping somewhere on the Sturt Highway close to the SA border friday night. ... Coober pedy will be our first 3 day camp... Then on further North..... Vans got the all clear.. Pick it back up tomorrow.. Pack it up over the next coupla days.
Sounds wonderful Ozzie! I love how you can stay longer at places you really like, and move on to fresh pastures when the mood takes you. Drive carefully and I hope you both have a wonderful adventure!
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Sounds wonderful Ozzie! I love how you can stay longer at places you really like, and move on to fresh pastures when the mood takes you. Drive carefully and I hope you both have a wonderful adventure!
I reckon the wife and I will be panicking in about 8 to 9 weeks time when back to work looms as her LSLeave comes to an end. I can see us making a radical decision if this trip goes well.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 2nd 2019 at 9:28 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon the wife and I will be panicking in about 8 to 9 weeks time when back to work looms as her LSLeave comes to an end. I can see us making a radical decision if this trip goes well.
Do you mean become a permanent road nomad? Worse ways to pass time.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Do you mean become a permanent road nomad? Worse ways to pass time.
I've been reading about people that do it that's for sure. Some inspiring stories out there. Doubt we'd go to permanency though.

Old Apr 3rd 2019, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I've been reading about people that do it that's for sure. Some inspiring stories out there. Doubt we'd go to permanency though.
The closest I've met to permanent road nomads was those that spend a period in a particular place before moving. Outside of Back packers with time frames due to visa's and what not, don't recall crossing paths with any doing permanent short stays.
Most I found do the winters in sunnier climes then return home for summer. Anyway loads of fun on your road trip. Time will tell the direction life will take. A big fan of movement myself. New places. New experiences, New people. Life at home can become al too predictable and samey. Enjoy and tell us your impressions.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 12:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

You could multi-task, keep up with your studies through LSE online while travelling through North America
I don't like online study so it would be either or.

If I was going to travel the US today, I'd buy this to do it in:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0386/overview/

AUD57k for a low mileage Stingray!

As compared to AUD150k++ for a similar model in Australia!:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...17022761/?Cr=9
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:52 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Always difficult to go back to the grind after LSL. Try to put it out of your mind for now, you have places to go and people to see
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:53 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't like online study so it would be either or.

If I was going to travel the US today, I'd buy this to do it in:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0386/overview/

AUD57k for a low mileage Stingray!

As compared to AUD150k++ for a similar model in Australia!:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...17022761/?Cr=9
That's some car! I reckon you'd find it very difficult to leave that behind.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Always difficult to go back to the grind after LSL. Try to put it out of your mind for now, you have places to go and people to see

Wont have to go back if we move/downsize SoS.... Trouble is we've still got two adult kids at home. Youngest daughter 25 is supposedly moving out in August. Got to admit the 21 year old boy still has some growing up to do....Thats all thats holding us back to be truthful. One of us has to work whilst we stay here....so it's not fair on either party if one of us stops work.

There again we may say to ourselves stuff it and downsize and just move to the country and tell him he can come if he wants. It's a very difficult decision.... all part of our pending freedom after 37 years of parenting with no family help.. To say we are champing at the bit is a understatement.

We are going to have to draw as solid a line in the sand as possible methinks. So close to having the freedom we have during this LSleave permanently.

Old Apr 4th 2019, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wont have to go back if we move/downsize SoS.... Trouble is we've still got two adult kids at home. Youngest daughter 25 is supposedly moving out in August. Got to admit the 21 year old boy still has some growing up to do....Thats all thats holding us back to be truthful. One of us has to work whilst we stay here....so it's not fair on either party if one of us stops work.

There again we may say to ourselves stuff it and downsize and just move to the country and tell him he can come if he wants. It's a very difficult decision.... all part of our pending freedom after 37 years of parenting with no family help.. To say we are champing at the bit is a understatement.

We are going to have to draw as solid a line in the sand as possible methinks. So close to having the freedom we have during this LSleave permanently.
It sounds not an uncommon thing these days to have kids lingering at home. One possible solution would be for 21 year old to find a rental and you pay first three or so months. Time for him to get on his feet. I guess it is hard these days with rental costs in Melbourne and Australia generally. Unlikely to be earning much at that age either.
We know a woman who wanted to release the value of her house as loves overseas travel and wants to move to France to live for a year. Every time selling is discussed both her kids (one a daughter of 34 and other a son of 31) go ballistic. Obviously not wanting their mother to 'dip into' their considerable inheritance. Even though the kids would still likely do well. (possibly scared you may meet someone over there and stay with the 'money) She won't bite the bullet no matter how hard try to convince her to live her life.

I believe there are times in life and if we don't grab them the moment or period can pass. Nothing like making plans for 'an older age' but circumstances do not allow them to bear fruit.
If that's what you want to do, I'd do it without much hesitation .
Old Apr 6th 2019, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well we are on our way... First night in relatively decent surroundings. Just outside Mildura. Just about to eat.
Old Apr 6th 2019, 7:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one! Happy travelling!
Old Apr 6th 2019, 8:45 am
Concierge

Looks like a lovely spot Ozzie. Feel the serenity