British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Driving around Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/driving-around-australia-923684/)

Shard Mar 29th 2019 4:17 pm

Driving around Australia

No, not planning to do it. Not even in Oz. But have been looking at the Google map since that guy tried to flee on the jetski, and it does seem that there are enough highways such that someone could circumnavigate the whole continent keeping to a near costal route. Anyone done that? Is it a thing in Australia (like an ambition of some people)? How long would it take to drive?

spouse of scouse Mar 29th 2019 4:29 pm

Re: Driving around Australia

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12662952)
No, not planning to do it. Not even in Oz. But have been looking at the Google map since that guy tried to flee on the jetski, and it does seem that there are enough highways such that someone could circumnavigate the whole continent keeping to a near costal route. Anyone done that? Is it a thing in Australia (like an ambition of some people)? How long would it take to drive?

Have done it twice, although rather than a complete circumnavigation we drove from Perth to Ayr in the north of Queensland, and back the 'southern' way the first time. Crossing (and camping in) the Nullarbor Desert was a particular experience!
Second time we did the north route, Perth, up the WA coast, cross into the Northern Territory and through Katherine, into Queensland, stopping at Julia Creek for a spot of wild pig hunting (husband, not me!) and sleeping rough in freezing temps, waking up to find the canvas had frozen. Then up to Ayr and back the same way.
It'd kill me these days :lol:

Australia has a lot of 'grey nomads', retirees who pack up their caravan and travel around the country.

Shard Mar 29th 2019 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12662955)
Have done it twice, although rather than a complete circumnavigation we drove from Perth to Ayr in the north of Queensland, and back the 'southern' way the first time. Crossing (and camping in) the Nullarbor Desert was a particular experience!
Second time we did the north route, Perth, up the WA coast, cross into the Northern Territory and through Katherine, into Queensland, stopping at Julia Creek for a spot of wild pig hunting (husband, not me!) and sleeping rough in freezing temps, waking up to find the canvas had frozen. Then up to Ayr and back the same way.
It'd kill me these days :lol:

Australia has a lot of 'grey nomads', retirees who pack up their caravan and travel around the country.

Very cool. How long does it take? I wouldn't mind being a grey nomad one day. Need to work on the grey part first !

scilly Mar 29th 2019 7:32 pm

My cousin and her husband did the round trip in one go back in the mid-1990s, after they had both retired. They took it leisurely, so months.

Dreamy Mar 29th 2019 9:20 pm

This bloke cycled around Australia in just under 38 days - he probably didn't stop to take in any of the sights though :lol:

the troubadour Mar 30th 2019 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12662952)

Not possible to do a coastal route right around. The turn off from highway to secondary roads to towns on the coast can be long. I haven't done the entire of Australia but large chunks of it including inland. Enjoyed some of the free camping sites scattered around, though few are convenient to larger towns for obvious reasons. Yes loads of so called Grey Nomads, (they have a web site) and foreign back packers, getting around in rather old and worn vehicles, some barely up to the job.
With free camp sites and less paid accommodation as possible costs can be' kept down'. Some towns like Broome, in WA are very expensive to camp in town, as if they don't really want Grey Nomads or Backpackers but only high paying tourists. But for me the main attraction is certainly not the long and arduous route. It is the night sky, the flora and fauna and some of the people on the road. I'd say worth doing once in a life.
How long? Well never done the entire rounding of the Continent. But expect three months would be a comfortable period of time.

GarryP Mar 30th 2019 1:27 am

Always wondered that if I were to look at the gray nomad thing, I'd look at sailing the circumference, and living aboard. Then maybe looking at doing the 'snowbird' thing, but afloat, up and down the east coast, and across to NZ, chasing the decent weather.

the troubadour Mar 30th 2019 6:56 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12663208)
Always wondered that if I were to look at the gray nomad thing, I'd look at sailing the circumference, and living aboard. Then maybe looking at doing the 'snowbird' thing, but afloat, up and down the east coast, and across to NZ, chasing the decent weather.

By sailing I take you mean on own boat/yacht and not as a passenger aboard a floating gin palace? Way to go, if so. That would enable calling into geographical places not possible by either road nor normal ship. Follow that up with NZ coast, then who knows?

Shard Mar 30th 2019 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 12663133)
This bloke cycled around Australia in just under 38 days - he probably didn't stop to take in any of the sights though :lol:

Incredible. He needs a gold Olympic medal for endurance ! I would have thought it would take 3-4 months on bike.

GarryP Mar 30th 2019 9:02 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12663237)
By sailing I take you mean on own boat/yacht and not as a passenger aboard a floating gin palace? Way to go, if so. That would enable calling into geographical places not possible by either road nor normal ship. Follow that up with NZ coast, then who knows?

Yeah, having your own boat means you can go where you want - including off the beaten track. And at the same time you can call into a marina if you want. Add on an electric bike for transport ashore and some decent satellite comms (come on Elon), and you have roughly the same mobile lifestyle as the camper van crowd, but exchanging islands and NZ for the red centre. Only issue the upkeep of the boat is more taxing probably.

spouse of scouse Mar 30th 2019 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12662964)
Very cool. How long does it take? I wouldn't mind being a grey nomad one day. Need to work on the grey part first !

I couldn't really say how long it took, too long ago. But I do remember getting to Qld very quickly the first time we went, mainly because my (then) father in law had appointed himself the wagon leader. He'd wake us up in the pitch black with the cheery observation that it was nearly sunrise so we'd better hit the road. Three hours of driving later, it was still pitch black...he always was a lying old coot :frown:

When we travelled around the North way, the ex and I took our bull terrier. We'd stopped at a river for morning smoko, I think it was the Gascoyne, and our dog drank some river water. We we driving the next day when the ex said 'oh no!' He was looking in the rear view mirror and Buster (our dog) was turning in circles on the back seat with his tail in the air. In the time it took to stop the car he'd had a huge 'accident', no doubt brought on by his sneaky dash to the river when we weren't looking. We had to throw all our bedding out - which is why we were wrapped up in icy canvas a few mornings later :cry_smile:

I have plenty of spare grey hair if you'd like some, get in quick though because I'm off to the hairdresser on Monday.

Shard Mar 30th 2019 12:32 pm

I looked at some of they grey nomad sites. It really does seem a popular lifestyle option for retirees down there. Like the snowbirds in NA. It might get a bit repetitive though. In your story I thought you were going to say you forgot the dog. After that, maybe you wish you had !

Amazulu Mar 31st 2019 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12663355)
I looked at some of they grey nomad sites. It really does seem a popular lifestyle option for retirees down there. Like the snowbirds in NA. It might get a bit repetitive though. In your story I thought you were going to say you forgot the dog. After that, maybe you wish you had !

I love travelling and camping and want to see all of Australia but that whole Grey Nomad story just looks pretty shit to me - your life's basically over

No thanks!

Shard Mar 31st 2019 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12663610)
I love travelling and camping and want to see all of Australia but that whole Grey Nomad story just looks pretty shit to me - your life's basically over

No thanks!

Well, it's not yachting from marina to marina, but it's also not sitting around the house day after day. Seems ok if you like road travel and camping.

the troubadour Mar 31st 2019 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12663355)

Yes the repetitive nature of being a grey nomad would definitely grate after awhile. Far better 'doing' Asia, as increasingly numbers of ageing Aussies are indeed doing. Some I've met have moved on from the 'grey nomad' travel due to expense and tedium.
The yachting scenario of having own boat and go around the coastline and further horizons, does appeal though.