Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving from Adelaide to Sydney - info?

Driving from Adelaide to Sydney - info?

Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Driving from Adelaide to Sydney - info?

Hi all, I will be driving my car over in a few weeks to Sydney, one way, seems like the quickest route is 15 hours so I plan to do it in a minimum of two days but probably three, anyone done it? where to stay on route? all info appreciated
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:49 pm
Banned

sprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant future
Default Re: Driving from Adelaide to Sydney - info?

Just take your time. Make sure car is fully checked before departing and I recommend you carry a spare top radiator hose and fan belts (very cheap) as not everywhere will have them and you can get stuck. Speaking from experience there as I made many longs trips driving home when I was in the RAAF.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

We drove back from the Barossa to Sydney, last October.

We took four days to get here but we stopped to see friends in Forbes so diverted a bit and could have done it a bit quicker.

First night we stopped in Mildura, second in Griffith and third in Forbes. If you want the quickest trip you'd be best stopping in Mildura, then Wagga.

The trip itself was great. Lots to see on the way to Mildura. There's a very long, flat, straight road from Balranald to Hay with practically nothing on the horizon for hundreds of K. It's the only really remote stretch but there is quite a bit of traffic on the road. Once you get past Wagga it's a relatively fast trip into Sydney on the Hume Highway.

If you REALLY wanted to do it in 2 days, then the best place to stop will be Hay.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Thanks! I do plan to take my time, and the car is getting a full service!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:08 pm
Banned

sprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant future

Get the spares. You blow a hose halfway across the Hay Plain you will thank me
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok! but I wouldn't have a clue how to fit it! would have to flag down a passing serial killer
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:17 pm
Banned

Didn't expect you to but if you are a member of a motorists association (NRMA in NSW) can't remember what is is in SA as I left a long time ago, they will do it when you log a call. There isn't much along some of the roads you will be on.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh I see, Ok will do, Im in the RAA
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:07 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Hi all, I will be driving my car over in a few weeks to Sydney, one way, seems like the quickest route is 15 hours so I plan to do it in a minimum of two days but probably three, anyone done it? where to stay on route? all info appreciated

We did this last year on a bit of a road trip - Went to Adelaide via Broken Hill, and then back to Sydney via Melbourne.

The Broken Hill route is very quick, though a little isolated. Broken Hill itself is a pretty big place with hotels and the like, and about a day's drive from Adelaide (well that's how long it took us!)

The route through Melbourne took much longer, but there was much more to see, particularly along the great ocean road.

S
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Agree - stop at Mildura and Wagga.

Out towards Hay gets pretty hard country...you would not want to break down, but there is other traffic on the road, so you would not get stranded.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
As You know i have done it a few times, stay in Mildura, loads of nice motels,
then if you set of at 9 in the morning from mildura, you will be in sydney by 6 or 7. Take a friend for the journey, then they can always get a cheep flight back. Saves doing it on your own, as it is a bit of a desolate drive in between places. Good Luck in Sydney
Old Feb 13th 2009, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

If you have time, visit the 'Shear Outback' sheep shearing museum in Hay. Bit sad I know, but very well done museum and display area with live demos (not in Jan or Feb). Shows a lot of history about development of the outback, living conidtions, etc.

Its a nice break on the trip too.

http://www.shearoutback.com.au/
Old Feb 13th 2009, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for this! I feel a bit better about my road trip now! Id like to go via Melbourne and all that, but its time really. So will prob take the direct route. I think as long as I have a stop off Ill be fine.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 6:01 am
Banned

You never understand the size of Oz till you drive it. I used to do Nescastle to Woomera or Melbourne to Woomera and once Canberra to Perth and return in a car without cruise control. Madness! Have a safe trip....s
Old Feb 14th 2009, 1:34 am
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice

We travelled this route last October, as people on this post are saying you should stop at Mildura overnight (6hrs drive from Adelaide), it's a nice little town next to the Murray river, there is a camp site next to the river with cabins there basic but adequate, next day head for Wagga Wagga for another overnight stop (6hrs drive from Mildura and nothing much to see on the way) head off early next day for a quick 10 min stop at Gouldbourn to see the concrete sheep. Now you have 2 choices of how to enter Sydney, the quickest direct route via Campbelltown or do what we done head towards Kiama you travel through some beautiful countryside and end up in the town famous for it's lighthouse and blowhole, stop here for a quick drink then head north via Shellharbour, Woollongong and if you have extra time leave the highway and head for Scarborough and follow the coast road all the way north then swing a right into The Royal National Park conservation area then back onto the highway and onto Sydney...adds about 3 hours to the journey but stunning scenery...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.