Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Drivers License, Medicare, Bank acc. & TFN

Drivers License, Medicare, Bank acc. & TFN

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of
Default Drivers License, Medicare, Bank acc. & TFN

These are the 4 important things that people usually do within the first weeks of arriving in Oz.
So when you all came to change your license, open an medicare and bank accounts and apply for your TFN where did you live?
Were you in temp accomadation? or had you already settled into your new house?
I would like to know, cause we want to stay in brisbane for a week or so and sort these out and buy some cars there.
Can we arrange everything there, and then later transfer it all to another address at a later stage without problems??
And opening a bank account and applying for CC and normal bank cards?
thanks
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 9:19 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drivers License, Medicare, Bank acc. & TFN

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
These are the 4 important things that people usually do within the first weeks of arriving in Oz.
So when you all came to change your license, open an medicare and bank accounts and apply for your TFN where did you live?
Were you in temp accomadation? or had you already settled into your new house?
I would like to know, cause we want to stay in brisbane for a week or so and sort these out and buy some cars there.
Can we arrange everything there, and then later transfer it all to another address at a later stage without problems??
And opening a bank account and applying for CC and normal bank cards?
thanks
We organized everything in the first 2 weeks, using our rental address, and then when you move, just change your details online. I had already opened a bank account previously in Australia, but if you have paperwork stating that the address given is where you are living, it should be ok. Phone companies will need something similar also.

If you have the rental address already, apply for the TFN number a couple of weeks before you leave, it normally takes 3-4 weeks to come through.

Credit cards will need confirmation that you are in employment as well, but otherwise, just apply, and change when needed. We are moving for the 3rd time in 3 months next week, so i'm getting used to it