Drivers license

Old Aug 9th 2004, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Cruise is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Drivers license

Dear all,

I have heard that you should get the drivers license from the state, where you are resident within 3 months of arrival.
What if it is not possible to take the license within that period.
Can i apply later on, say after 6 months of arrival or is it that i cannot get a license if not applied within that time frame.

Your comments are welcome.

Cruise
Old Aug 9th 2004, 9:52 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Drivers license

Originally Posted by Cruise
Dear all,

I have heard that you should get the drivers license from the state, where you are resident within 3 months of arrival.
Can i apply later on, say after 6 months of arrival or is it that i cannot get a license if not applied within that time frame.

Cruise
We are talking about a Permanent Resident changing over an existing UK licence here. yes?

If you don't get it within 3 months, and you continue driving, then you are technically driving without a licence, and can get fined for that offence.

However, you can still get it at any time in the future, years down the line in fact And yes, even then with just the theory test.

Old Aug 9th 2004, 9:56 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Dear all,

Cruise
I don't know of anyone being prosecuted for failing to get a licence within the allocated time frame. I know some people have left it for ages.
Though you would leave yourself wide open for your insurance company to refuse a claim if you were unlucky enough to have an accident.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 10:10 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Dear all,

Cruise
If you don't mind me asking; why would it not be possible? Since you're from a pass-on-the-left country, all you'd need to do is sit the written test. Takes all of 5 minutes.

Edit: I'm assuming you're from a drive on the left country.

Last edited by Ulujain; Aug 9th 2004 at 10:13 am.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 10:20 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ulujain
If you don't mind me asking; why would it not be possible? Since you're from a pass-on-the-left country, all you'd need to do is sit the written test. Takes all of 5 minutes.

My thoughts exactly.

Siren's b/h
Old Aug 9th 2004, 10:34 am
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about

Even when you're from a drive on the right country all you have to do is the written test AFAIK...well, for most of the drive on the left countries that is.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Cruise is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
We are talking about a Permanent Resident changing over an existing UK licence here. yes?

If you don't get it within 3 months, and you continue driving, then you are technically driving without a licence, and can get fined for that offence.

However, you can still get it at any time in the future, years down the line in fact And yes, even then with just the theory test.

Thanks.
Let me explain my scenerio in detail,

Suppose i guy with PR and without a license from his home country enters Australia, and he decides not to drive for the first 6 months and then applies for an Australian license(appear for test).Is this O.K. or is it a necessity that he has to appear for the test within 3 months of arrival in his state of residence.

In short is there any time limit applying for Australian license(appear for the test)for one who does not have his home country license.

Cruise
Old Aug 9th 2004, 11:31 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Agreed....word for word.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 11:36 am
o_0

Originally Posted by Sander
Even when you're from a drive on the right country all you have to do is the written test AFAIK...well, for most of the drive on the left countries that is.
Well, as far as Queensland is concerned, this is their list of exempt countries. (<-- URL there) My wife will be rapt to know she only needs to sit the written exam.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

ssinnige is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, as far as Queensland is concerned, this is their list of exempt countries. (<-- URL there) My wife will be rapt to know she only needs to sit the written exam.
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...stion1#licence

I've read the QLD transport website (above) and they state that your should provide three documents that prove your ID. As a new immigrant you can surely get one of the category A ones (your own pasport ), but what about the other two. What did you use for the other two? For example, I still have my European VISA card, can I use that one?

What did you provide as proof of identity - as I wish to have everything as soon as possible to have it over and done with?
Old Aug 9th 2004, 12:06 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Suppose i guy with PR and without a license from his home country enters Australia, and he decides not to drive for the first 6 months and then applies for an Australian license(appear for test).Is this O.K. or is it a necessity that he has to appear for the test within 3 months of arrival in his state of residence.

In short is there any time limit applying for Australian license(appear for the test)for one who does not have his home country license.

Cruise
Makes sense now
The three month rule only applies if you already have a licence from a country on the approved list.
If you have no licence at all you can take the test when you think your ready for it no time frame
Old Aug 9th 2004, 1:08 pm
o_0

Originally Posted by ssinnige
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...stion1#licence

I've read the QLD transport website (above) and they state that your should provide three documents that prove your ID. As a new immigrant you can surely get one of the category A ones (your own pasport ), but what about the other two. What did you use for the other two? For example, I still have my European VISA card, can I use that one?

What did you provide as proof of identity - as I wish to have everything as soon as possible to have it over and done with?
You know, that could be a problem. I imagine the rest of your ID would be in Dutch. Am I right? Dutch license, birth certificates, etc. I'm not sure...you may need to get them translated into English.

A lady named Simone posts here who is from the Netherlands. You might want to PM her and see how her and her boyfriend fared with licenses.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

ssinnige is an unknown quantity at this point

You know, that could be a problem. I imagine the rest of your ID would be in Dutch. Am I right? Dutch license, birth certificates, etc. I'm not sure...you may need to get them translated into English.

A lady named Simone posts here who is from the Netherlands. You might want to PM her and see how her and her boyfriend fared with licenses.
Well, I suppose I can always wait until I've received the medi-card and open up a bank account ... Perhaps I'm too eager!
Old Aug 9th 2004, 10:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If he's *without* any licence from his home country then he has to qualify for an Australian licence from scratch.

There is no requirement to start the process within 3 months of taking up residence, but he *cannot* drive until attaining the necessary licence.

Jeremy

Thanks.

Cruise
Old Aug 9th 2004, 11:14 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by cresta57
I don't know of anyone being prosecuted for failing to get a licence within the allocated time frame. I know some people have left it for ages.
Though you would leave yourself wide open for your insurance company to refuse a claim if you were unlucky enough to have an accident.
Just to clarify this:

If you drive in Australia after you have been here for 3 months, as a Permanent Resident, and haven't got an Australian licence, you can get fined for driving without a licence. Obviously if you don't drive, then it's no problem.

How do I know for sure ? I was fined for that offence, when I showed them my UK licence, well after the 3 month period.

I have heard that some insurance companies charge extra if you don't have an Australian Licence, and do wonder if they could then complain, and invalidate the policy later, as they would have already known and accepted the risk ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.