Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driver's Licence and car insurance

Driver's Licence and car insurance

Old Oct 9th 2006, 10:49 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Driver's Licence and car insurance

My ex is Scottish and over here on a work permit (I'm Australian, stuck in Oz for the time being and we have a daughter).

He only has his learning licence in Scotland (it's called Provisional over there), which means he can drive with a licenced driver but not on his own.

He has just bought a car and is in the process of getting a Queensland driver's licence.

He was able to register the car in his name (which includes CTP insurance) BUT he cannot get other insurance for the car, and neither can he get a QLD licence because he doesn't have the documentation they require.

Has anyone had this experience: re: licence OR insurance?

I thought CTP was all the insurance you needed to drive in Australia. And how was he able to register the car with CTP if the insurers are all telling him that he is unable to register the car without a Queensland driver's licence?

Regarding the licence: he was told he had to take the written test (which we normally do to get our Learner's Permit in Qld - can drive with a licenced driver but not alone) and then the practical (to get Provisional Licence, can drive alone) but he didn't have to wait a year between them like a normal Qld person due to fact he's had Scottish Learner's for couple of years.

He went up to do written test and after an hour and a half the numpties there told him that he didn't have enough ID - his Scottish licence was unacceptable. He went back with further documents: UK Birth Cert, UK passport and QLD wage slip and STILL was told he didn't have enough points.

Does anyone have any ideas of what else he can do? The person behind the desk was a bit clueless and kept suggesting things that were blatantly stupid (like Australian birth cert and passport).

Naturally I would love to go down there myself and sort it all out in 30 minutes but as he is the ex he does not take kindly to this kind of interference BUT he is in a desperate situation as his parents are coming out from Scotland soon and that's why he bought the car. Is going to look pretty lame if he can't drive it but even more stupid if THEY can't drive it either because he can't get it insured!

Thought I'd try find some info on here that I could slyly pass on to him without looking like I'm interfering... (did I mention that this was all supposed to be done and dusted over a YEAR ago when he first arrived so he could drive me to hospital to give birth?????? TYPICAL MALE!) He may not be able to drive himself to work, but he sure as hell drives me to ...
Old Oct 10th 2006, 5:33 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Driver's Licence and car insurance

It may have been an accent thing. A Scot accent to the aussie ears is not the easiet thing to understand at the best of times. Add emotion & confusion and you have a recipe for disaster.

Email Qld Transport. http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/home...ndex/contactus

Straighten this mess out with the source & detail the email in a very clear way to save confusion, leaving all emotion and blaming out of it.

When you have the answers, print the email and get your OH to take it with him back to the office.

And, If OH doesn’t like your interference, perhaps he should “walk 1000 miles” away from your door, as you’re just trying to help.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

For the ID thing... he'll need his UK licence, passport, bank cards, any bills in his name to his address etc etc. there's a list of acceptable ID on the QLD transport website. the proof of address thing is the crucial thing - I had to use a letter from Uni as none of the bills are in my name!

Re insurance... I got insurance for my car with just my UK licence, he might be having problems because he's only got his learners. I had a big discussion about the different between licensing systems when I was getting my bike licence and the aussies didn't realise that the UK called their leaners permit a "provisional" licence - which obviously means something different over here!

end of the day... if your ex doesn't want any interference then leave it to him to sort out himself... maybe his parents can give him a big kick up the arse when they get over here!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

try this my sister had a provisional licence for the uk she cant drive she went to sit the qld theory test and she past it they give her an open licence good if you can drive but now she cant go with a driving school her oh is teaching her bit backward or wot? :scared:
Old Oct 10th 2006, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matildaskye
My ex is Scottish and over here on a work permit (I'm Australian, stuck in Oz for the time being and we have a daughter).

He only has his learning licence in Scotland (it's called Provisional over there), which means he can drive with a licenced driver but not on his own.

He has just bought a car and is in the process of getting a Queensland driver's licence.

He was able to register the car in his name (which includes CTP insurance) BUT he cannot get other insurance for the car, and neither can he get a QLD licence because he doesn't have the documentation they require.

Has anyone had this experience: re: licence OR insurance?

I thought CTP was all the insurance you needed to drive in Australia. And how was he able to register the car with CTP if the insurers are all telling him that he is unable to register the car without a Queensland driver's licence?

Regarding the licence: he was told he had to take the written test (which we normally do to get our Learner's Permit in Qld - can drive with a licenced driver but not alone) and then the practical (to get Provisional Licence, can drive alone) but he didn't have to wait a year between them like a normal Qld person due to fact he's had Scottish Learner's for couple of years.

He went up to do written test and after an hour and a half the numpties there told him that he didn't have enough ID - his Scottish licence was unacceptable. He went back with further documents: UK Birth Cert, UK passport and QLD wage slip and STILL was told he didn't have enough points.

Does anyone have any ideas of what else he can do? The person behind the desk was a bit clueless and kept suggesting things that were blatantly stupid (like Australian birth cert and passport).

Naturally I would love to go down there myself and sort it all out in 30 minutes but as he is the ex he does not take kindly to this kind of interference BUT he is in a desperate situation as his parents are coming out from Scotland soon and that's why he bought the car. Is going to look pretty lame if he can't drive it but even more stupid if THEY can't drive it either because he can't get it insured!

Thought I'd try find some info on here that I could slyly pass on to him without looking like I'm interfering... (did I mention that this was all supposed to be done and dusted over a YEAR ago when he first arrived so he could drive me to hospital to give birth?????? TYPICAL MALE!) He may not be able to drive himself to work, but he sure as hell drives me to ...
CTP is compulsory third party,covers medical only.To insure a car he needs a full licence which will then cover property/vehicle damage.CTP has nothing to do with vehicle insurance and should not be confused with UK third party.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 12:23 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wintersgills
try this my sister had a provisional licence for the uk she cant drive she went to sit the qld theory test and she past it they give her an open licence good if you can drive but now she cant go with a driving school her oh is teaching her bit backward or wot? :scared:

OMG! Where does she live in Qld? Will get my ex to go there! TBH I thought it would be a bit like that here as we are living in a one-horse hick town...I got my licence here a few years back (it's all done through the police station cos there's not Dept Transport here) and the police officer was so beefy I could hardly change gear. I failed 6 hill starts and he only passed me on it in the end because I managed to do a reverse hill start (necessary after I stalled the car by hitting the curb overturning in a cul de sac) :scared:

I think the accent might be confusing them...I will definitely be on his case to find out what the story is...

Unfortunately no chance of parents kicking his arse as they think the sun shines out of it...

I wonder if they'll still think that whilst walking everywhere at the start of a searing Queensland summer...
Old Oct 12th 2006, 2:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matildaskye

QLD Transport ID requirements are here:
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...identification

If the person behind the counter doesn't understand how to deal with this, then insist on speaking to supervisor/manager.