Reload this Page >

Drive from Sydney to Melbourne

Drive from Sydney to Melbourne

Old Oct 14th 2003, 2:45 am
Just Joined

rydel is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Drive from Sydney to Melbourne

Hi

Has anyone every driven from Sydney to Melbourne? What is the easiest and shortest way?

Thanks.

Old Oct 14th 2003, 2:50 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Drive from Sydney to Melbourne

Originally posted by rydel
Hi

Has anyone every driven from Sydney to Melbourne? What is the easiest and shortest way?

Thanks.

Look at www.whereis.com.au

Quickest way is the hulme highway. Probably one of the worlds most boring drives and takes 12 to 15 hours. You leave Sydney towards the Southwest on the M1, past the airport and off to the M5 (toll road). Just keep on driving. Motorway of sorts most of the way but not all the way.

The main site on the way is the Big Marino. One for WBB.

Slow way but scenic way is down the coast but I have no idea on timing.

Last edited by bondipom; Oct 14th 2003 at 3:08 am.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:04 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Coast road is only a couple of hundred kilometres longer but you can add about 5 hrs to the journey. Its definitelythe scenic route, very pretty but all single lane with lots of slow moving traffic. I would be going the Hume, about 12hrs driving time.

Pssst BP, you typoed the whereis link, page not found
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

No, most boring drive is Brisbane to NSW via the West, OMG its awful truly awful, husband found it amusing tho, reckons I have seen nothing should drive to Perth from Brisbane, frankly I'd rather go on a Picnic with Ivan Milat.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:11 am
Just Joined

rydel is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:17 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
No, most boring drive is Brisbane to NSW via the West, OMG its awful truly awful, husband found it amusing tho, reckons I have seen nothing should drive to Perth from Brisbane, frankly I'd rather go on a Picnic with Ivan Milat.
LOL @ picnicking with Ivan Milat.

West as in The New England or Newell?
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:20 am

Most boring in the world is Wichita Kansas to Colorado. Straight and flat. You get excited when signs for the largest prairie dog in the world in 200 miles appears. Then the sign reappears every few miles. I was most disappointed when I fell asleep and we drove by.

Eventually you hit a ridge and suddenly you can see the Rockies.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
LOL @ picnicking with Ivan Milat.

West as in The New England or Newell?
New England or Newell, Cant say unfortunately, we went through Warwick and Armidale tho I think. After the first 2 million sheep and grey grass I sought solace in a case of West coast coolers. We did see the Big Sheep and a rather large guitar tho if that helps, also we were going to Canberra, but most of it was through NSW I can remember that. I'll ask Ivan when he gets back as it should definately be avoided, unless you are into getting photos of yourself blotto in a oversized sheeps butt.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:45 am
Rocket Scientist

New England or Newell, Cant say unfortunately, we went through Warwick and Armidale tho I think. After the first 2 million sheep and grey grass I sought solace in a case of West coast coolers. We did see the Big Sheep and a rather large guitar tho if that helps, also we were going to Canberra, but most of it was through NSW I can remember that. I'll ask Ivan when he gets back as it should definately be avoided, unless you are into getting photos of yourself blotto in a oversized sheeps butt.
OK, thats the New England Highway. Thats actually quite a nice drive, quite scenic especially up in the hills around Armidale & Tamworth & down closer to Sydney around Scone, Hunter Valley etc where all the horse studs & wineries are. Lord help you if you had gone down the Newell, through Moree & Coonabrabran etc, lets just say that Moree makes Woodridge look good. LOL. Dry brown bush for 100 kms at a time.

But it depends on what you like, I personally love the drive from Nyngan to Adelide through Bourke, flat & dry & just nothing for as far as the eye can see. Even more spectacular when you get to the top of a slight ridge early in the morning before the heat haze & it all just sparkles. Horses for courses

Havent done the Nullabor or anywhere west of Adelaide yet, but I imagine its fairly similar. Most boring drive has to be around the M25 on the way to Cambridge - if you can call it a drive, its more like a carpark

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Oct 14th 2003 at 3:48 am.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrsDagboy
OK, thats the New England Highway. Thats actually quite a nice drive, quite scenic especially up in the hills around Armidale & Tamworth & down closer to Sydney around Scone, Hunter Valley etc where all the horse studs & wineries are. Lord help you if you had gone down the Newell, through Moree & Coonabrabran etc, lets just say that Moree makes Woodridge look good. LOL. Dry brown bush for 100 kms at a time.

Cripes, I'd hate to see a bad drive then, no wonder he was laughing!! Mind you there was a drought on, everytime I stopped for a pee I'd trip over dead sheep, all these carcases everywhere, think it hadnt rained for a year or something. Dust was so bad the car was covered in this grey silt inside and out.
Had to stick to the speed limit too, big signs everywhere with stuff like 100klm limit or $573 fine or something, took forever it seemed.

Fairly nice drive in OZ tho is the great ocean road, not bad at all.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 5:41 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Some can see the world in a grain of sand but fewer find enjoyable the trip into deepest inner space brought on by gliding through the desert.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 8:16 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

sory to show my ignorance but who is ivan milat?
Old Oct 14th 2003, 8:18 am

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
sory to show my ignorance but who is ivan milat?
Pommie Killer
Old Oct 14th 2003, 8:37 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by bondipom
Pommie Killer
One way of describing him . TWT's he murdered a string of backpackers who were hitchhiking down around Sydney.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 12:09 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

I quite enjoyed the drive from Sydney to Melbourne but why not break the journey at Canberra and stay the night Lots to see in Canberra although I would hate to live there. Don't also forget to visit the Ned Kelly experience which is on the way through just off the Hume Highway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.