Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Drive from Perth to Adelaide ?

Drive from Perth to Adelaide ?

Old Jul 12th 2006, 7:13 am
UK Bound

keep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the rough
Default Drive from Perth to Adelaide ?

Just a quick question - anyone ever driven from Perth to Adelaide ?
If so, could you give me an idea on timescale, costs etc ?

Thanks
Old Jul 12th 2006, 7:46 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Drive from Perth to Adelaide ?

Originally Posted by keep smiling

Thanks
The best way is to take the Indian- Pacific train and they put your car on the back carriage, you can relax and enjoy the scenery.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Thanks
Try www.racq.com.au for time scales they have a travel planner, as for cost I have a 4ltr ford falcon and it does around 400 450k per tank around town and cost around $60 - $70 to fill the tank depending on which day you fill up
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Tortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really niceTortuga is just really nice

Drowsiness is an issue; it’s a good idea to have an alternate driver who can take turns at the wheel.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Drive from Perth to Adelaide ?

Originally Posted by Tortuga
Drowsiness is an issue; it’s a good idea to have an alternate driver who can take turns at the wheel.
Definitely. Thribble and I switched seats every 200km.

We drove did drive from Perth to Adelaide, but we did not go the most direct route and made lots of stops along the way. I think you could do it comfortably in three to four days. We tended to stop driving by dusk as that's when the marsupials go foraging and you don't want to be hitting one of them.

Here is one of the entries from my blog, which were written just after crossed the Nullarbor and which may give you some insight as to what it was like.

http://www.johnsy.com/blog/entry/20060114

I'd definitely recommend doing the drive (bring plenty of water, petrol, and music)!

Good luck!

--paj

Last edited by Johnsyweb; Jul 12th 2006 at 10:34 am. Reason: Fixed dodgy URL
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:52 am
UK Bound

keep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Johnsyweb
Definitely. Thribble and I switched seats every 200km.

We drove did drive from Perth to Adelaide, but we did not go the most direct route and made lots of stops along the way. I think you could do it comfortably in three to four days. We tended to stop driving by dusk as that's when the marsupials go foraging and you don't want to be hitting one of them.

Here is one of the entries from my blog, which were written just after crossed the Nullarbor and which may give you some insight as to what it was like.

http://www.johnsy.com/blog/entry/20060114093320

I'd definitely recommend doing the drive (bring plenty of water, petrol, and music)!

Good luck!

--paj

Thanks for that, but I can´t view your blog for some reason ??

and thanks everyone else for your replies
Old Jul 12th 2006, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Drive from Perth to Adelaide ?

Thanks for that, but I can´t view your blog for some reason ??

and thanks everyone else for your replies
Thanks for the heads-up!

It seems that a recent server upgrade has broken the permalinks. I have changed my original reply so that the link works.

Shall probably spend the rest of the evening fixing my website now.

Where's that Toohey's?

--paj