British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   drinks and nite out in st ives area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/drinks-nite-out-st-ives-area-550511/)

sal123 Jul 22nd 2008 11:43 am

drinks and nite out in st ives area

Hi

I live in st ives (sydney) having moved over here 6 months agao. St Ives has no pubs or wine bars. I am desparate for a girls nite out. Have moved over here with my husband and 2 boys. Have got everything sorted but just need some good old nites out. Am happy to organise it if enough people come back to me.

cheers

sal123

Sandra Jul 22nd 2008 10:40 pm

Re: drinks and nite out in st ives area

Welcome to St Ives! The Bowling club has a bar - full of excitement suburb it is. I have lived there for six years - currently working in Brisbane mid week.

Happy to meet up and have an evening out sometime. There are also a couple of other expats around who I know will be more than willing to join in! We are all married with teenager kids so also happy to meet as couples and give the low down on the suburb of excitement! What ages are your boys?

PM me if interested.

Pollyana Jul 22nd 2008 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by sal123 (Post 6597836)
Hi

I live in st ives (sydney) having moved over here 6 months agao. St Ives has no pubs or wine bars. I am desparate for a girls nite out. Have moved over here with my husband and 2 boys. Have got everything sorted but just need some good old nites out. Am happy to organise it if enough people come back to me.

cheers

sal123

I'd take Sandra up on her offer - she's one of the best mates I've ever had, and has plenty of info on the area :) Just a pity we only get to drink together midweek while she's in Brisbane - I must make it to St Ives one weekend!

Millie11 Jul 23rd 2008 1:09 am

Originally Posted by sal123 (Post 6597836)
Hi

cheers

sal123

Hi Sal

Moving to West Pymble 8th of August so I am keen :) However have small kids so it will just be me - OH will babysit.

Millie

Rosscarbery Jul 24th 2008 8:44 am

Hi. Another St. Ives local here - we've been here just over a year now and yes, it's not the liveliest suburb in town after dark! I still haven't got around to checking out the bowling club as I've read Sandra's previous comments about lowering the average age by 20 years when she walks in :D but would be well up for a girls night out. The food in the Road to Goa (St. Ives Plaza) is fantastic if you like that sort of thing, the Thai on Stanley Street is fine and friendly and both are BYO so we could always bring the bar with us!!!

binbird Jul 24th 2008 9:36 am

Count me in too - I drive through St Ives every day on my way to work and would love to try one or the other of the restaurants Rosscarberry suggested. She and I are regulars at the FTC meets so anyone responding to this thread should try and come along to one of those too if Tuesdays are any good for you. We meet for coffee / lunch the first Tuesday of the month and those with toddlers bring them and those without don't!

Hoola Jul 24th 2008 11:49 pm

I'd be tempted to come out for such good company. When are you thinking?

Sandra Jul 28th 2008 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery (Post 6604841)
Hi. Another St. Ives local here - we've been here just over a year now and yes, it's not the liveliest suburb in town after dark! I still haven't got around to checking out the bowling club as I've read Sandra's previous comments about lowering the average age by 20 years when she walks in :D but would be well up for a girls night out. The food in the Road to Goa (St. Ives Plaza) is fantastic if you like that sort of thing, the Thai on Stanley Street is fine and friendly and both are BYO so we could always bring the bar with us!!!

Bowling club - Amazing the bar used to shut most nights by nine - but they have now opened a restuarant in it! Bib and Tucker, we went on Saturday night with another couple of families bit hit and miss on the food - mine was alright but a couple of the others weren't so impressed.

Never been to the Road to Goa even after six years! I like the Rama King Thai also and agree about the BYO. Does anyone use the Terry Hills Tavern - that can be busy but the nearest bar I think after the Pymble Hotel. Greengate has a young crowd.

I hope the original poster comes back - this has drummed up a bit of interest for a St Ives Meet :) Cannot make any others as currently working away mid week.

walaj Jul 28th 2008 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Sandra (Post 6617481)
I hope the original poster comes back - this has drummed up a bit of interest for a St Ives Meet :) Cannot make any others as currently working away mid week.

seeing as I just missed one girls night, I am definately tempted for a nightout to be 'me' rather than 'mummy'

More choice in Gordon if people can make there?

Rosscarbery Jul 28th 2008 8:46 am

I like the Terrey Hills Tav, particularly when it's nice enough to sit outside. My kids are in school in Terrey Hills so I'm up that direction a fair bit. I keep on meaning to check out their bus shuttle service as in theory you can get there and back from St. Ives with nobody having to drive which might suit our purposes :D

There are still no bars in Gordon and I don't think the restaurants are any better than St. Ives - I've tried a Thai and an Indian there recently and they have been ok, no more.

Sandra Jul 28th 2008 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery (Post 6618122)
I like the Terrey Hills Tav, particularly when it's nice enough to sit outside. My kids are in school in Terrey Hills so I'm up that direction a fair bit. I keep on meaning to check out their bus shuttle service as in theory you can get there and back from St. Ives with nobody having to drive which might suit our purposes :D

There are still no bars in Gordon and I don't think the restaurants are any better than St. Ives - I've tried a Thai and an Indian there recently and they have been ok, no more.

The Tav shuttle bus sounds like a great idea! I am away for the next couple of weekends - trip back to the UK and Singapore but would love a night out towards end August - weekends only for me, at the moment. Though I might have the 12th August Free before I head back to Brisbane. Or a Sat or Sun lunchtime - be decadent and drink in the day!

hannah123 Jul 29th 2008 12:03 am

hi,
i have just arrived well 3 weeks ago and im living in st ives.
ive been so busy with my new job have not had chance to meet anybody yet so i would be really up for going out for a drink some time, getting out and about!

sounds like fun

Katherined0 Jul 31st 2008 12:16 am

I'm in N Ryde and am also up for a night out.....
DH works away alot tho -- so would be dependant on him being about to babysit

dracupg Jul 31st 2008 2:11 am

Good grief. Haven’t been on this site for ages, and what is the first thing I read … night out in St Ives. It must be fate telling me to go out and get plastered.

We have lived in St Ives for about 4 years now. 2 kids 8 and 17 months. Living down towards the High School.

Definitely up for couple of half lager shandies and it would be good to meet up with some others from the St Ives locale.
:thumbsup:

Rosscarbery Aug 2nd 2008 10:21 am

Ok, the original poster hasn't come back and this looks like it's going to drop off the front page soon so shall we set a date and venue and see what happens?

I'm going to be bossy - Sandra, you're obviously restricted due to working away so do you want to come up with some dates that you're free as a starting point? If we're thinking of trying to get the shuttle bus to/from the Terrey Hills Tav it only runs Thurs-Sun and having organised things like this before people will probably end up driving as it's too much hassle otherwise so it might be worth waiting until someone tries it out first. The alternative would be getting together at the Thai where we can have a few glasses of wine with some nice food and some people will be close enough not to have to drive (I was personally relying on the good will of OH for a pick up) but it's not a late night venue so it wouldn't meet most people's criteria for going on the piss.

Any thoughts?