Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Drink Driving in Australia

Wikiposts

Drink Driving in Australia

Old Jun 29th 2005, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Drink Driving in Australia

Originally Posted by baconmaster
Hi, does these tests happen at anytime of the day or night or is it evening to the early hours ? How many (if any units) glasses of wine, bottle of beer can you have or are you best just to have nothing ?

thanks
My hubby was tested mid afternoon, so I guess it can happen anytime. As for how many units I think it totally depend on your metabolism and what you have had to eat etc, and your size and weight. There are guidelines, but from what people have said to me they aren't accurate for everyone I guess 'cus of the points I have already listed. Personnaly I feel that even drinking a glass of wine affects me to some extent and I wouldn't feel hapy driving after drinking at all. That is a my choice though.

Katie
Old Jun 29th 2005, 10:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by KatieStar
My hubby was tested mid afternoon, so I guess it can happen anytime. As for how many units I think it totally depend on your metabolism and what you have had to eat etc, and your size and weight. There are guidelines, but from what people have said to me they aren't accurate for everyone I guess 'cus of the points I have already listed. Personnaly I feel that even drinking a glass of wine affects me to some extent and I wouldn't feel hapy driving after drinking at all. That is a my choice though.

Katie
I agree with you in the above, although I will drive after 1 beer, or a glass of wine, but I will be concerned about getting caught, so the worry isn't really worth the drink.

Heres a quote from: http://www.roadsafety.qld.gov.au

How many standard drinks to help stay under .05?
As a general rule:
  • Men can consume two standard drinks in the first hour and one every hour after that.
  • Women can consume one standard drink in the first hour and one every hour after that.
Always err on the side of caution as some people can manage less. Imagine if you were responsible for injuring or killing someone because you were drink driving. Could YOU forgive yourself?

And yes, the tests can happen at any time.
7am to catch those that were drinking heavily last night,
2pm to catch the lunchtime drinkers
6pm to catch those drinking before leaving work
and we had a recent one that ran from midnight to 6am. That obviously caught a few more than average.

Old Jun 29th 2005, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

rancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant future

i was stopped the other day on my lesson (im still a learner), trouble was i didnt know they meant me, so i didnt stop. i stopped further down the road and apologized, and when they realised i cant reverse yet, they moved all the cones down the road for me. lol.
also, does anyone know, can a driver on a full licence have any alcohol if he is under 25 or is it still zero until over 25? Husband is due to take his dqt tomorrow........
Old Jun 29th 2005, 11:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by rancid
i was stopped the other day on my lesson (im still a learner), trouble was i didnt know they meant me, so i didnt stop. i stopped further down the road and apologized, and when they realised i cant reverse yet, they moved all the cones down the road for me. lol.
also, does anyone know, can a driver on a full licence have any alcohol if he is under 25 or is it still zero until over 25? Husband is due to take his dqt tomorrow........
Legislation – blood alcohol limits
NSW has three BAC limits: Zero. 0.02. 0.05.

The limit which applies to you is dependent on the category of
your licence and the type of vehicle you are driving.
However, even if your legal limit is above zero it is recommended that you don’t drink any alcohol if you plan to drive.

Zero applies to:
All learner drivers.
All Provisional 1 drivers.
All Provisional 2 drivers

0.02 applies to:
Drivers of vehicles of ‘gross vehicle mass’ greater than 13.9 tonnes.
Drivers of vehicles carrying dangerous goods.
Drivers of public vehicles such as taxi or bus drivers.

0.05 applies to:
All other licences not subject to a 0.02 or zero limit.

I can't see anything specifically on being under 25.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...ngbrochure.pdf

Old Jun 29th 2005, 1:26 pm
ABCDiamond

Some of the penalties that apply:

QLD
The penalties for driving with the prescribed concentration of alcohol include:

(a) a fine of $1,050 or imprisonment for up to three months where the prescribed concentration of alcohol equals or exceeds 0.5 but is less than 0.15.

(b) a fine of $1,050 or imprisonment for up to three months where the prescribed concentration of alcohol exceeds 0.00 but is less than 0.5 in drivers who, for example, hold learners permits or probationary licences, or who are driving vehicles such as trucks or buses.

Both the penalties above also include a period of licence disqualification of between one and nine months.

NSW
Low range PCA (BAC .05 to less than .08)
FIRST OFFENCE
Maximum court-imposed fine $1,100
Maximum gaol term Not applicable
Disqualification - minimum 3 months
Disqualification - maximum 6 months

SECOND OFFENCE
Maximum court-imposed fine $2,200
Maximum gaol term Not applicable
Disqualification - minimum 6 months
Disqualification - maximum Unlimited

Mid range PCA (BAC .08 to less than .15) = to the UK first level
FIRST OFFENCE