British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Dress code (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/dress-code-194958/)

vickymills Dec 4th 2003 11:57 am

Dress code

Hi

I'm just wondering waht the dress code is for managers gernally in Austrailia, (Brisbane).

I'm guessing it's more informal than the UK.

Suits, or smart casual for interviews?

Vicky

evila Dec 4th 2003 12:16 pm

Re: Dress code

Not yet ther so I´ve not seen it, but I asked this same question in another forum and the answer choked me.

Dress codes for work are very formal. Suit (dark ones) and Ties are a must for job interviews.

This is only what i´ve heard, so would be great to see anyone already in Oz comment on this.

Cheers and good luck...

Originally posted by vickymills
Hi

I'm just wondering waht the dress code is for managers gernally in Austrailia, (Brisbane).

Vicky

AussieinLondon Dec 4th 2003 12:36 pm

Originally posted by evila
Not yet ther so I´ve not seen it, but I asked this same question in another forum and the answer choked me.

Dress codes for work are very formal. Suit (dark ones) and Ties are a must for job interviews.

This is only what i´ve heard, so would be great to see anyone already in Oz comment on this.

Cheers and good luck...

Definately put the suit on. I work in a pretty informal profession, but even then the suit came out for interviews etc. Lorry drivers wouldn't need one for an interview, but it would still help... So, a managerial position? Suit and tie without question.

[NB: This is Sydney/Melbourne advice but I'm sure it applies everywhere.]

evila Dec 4th 2003 12:57 pm

I´ve heard that suits needs to be very dark and shirts white or light colors...

How true is this? any recomendation for ties?

I´m trying to figure out which of my clothing to bring and which to leave.

Originally posted by AussieinLondon
Definately put the suit on. I work in a pretty informal profession, but even then the suit came out for interviews etc. Lorry drivers wouldn't need one for an interview, but it would still help... So, a managerial position? Suit and tie without question.

[NB: This is Sydney/Melbourne advice but I'm sure it applies everywhere.]

Jirrupin Dec 4th 2003 1:01 pm

Hi

Vicky
I had an interview here for casual shop work and it was expected that you wore smart clothing, shirt and tie for men, jacket if they had one, skirt, collared blouse for women jacket if you had one.

Donna

AussieinLondon Dec 4th 2003 1:16 pm

Originally posted by evila
I´ve heard that suits needs to be very dark and shirts white or light colors...

How true is this? any recomendation for ties?

I´m trying to figure out which of my clothing to bring and which to leave.
People wear whatever the current fashion is, and I haven't been back for 18 months or so. Have a look in the Myers (dept store) or David Jones (ditto) websites. Generally, shirts are fairly plain, stripes perhaps but almost never 'table cloth' style (as my wife likes to call it). Very bright colours are generally out, but womens' fashions change rapidly so don't take my word for it.

Jirrupin Dec 4th 2003 1:25 pm

People wear whatever the current fashion is, and I haven't been back for 18 months or so. Have a look in the Myers (dept store) or David Jones (ditto) websites. Generally, shirts are fairly plain, stripes perhaps but almost never 'table cloth' style (as my wife likes to call it). Very bright colours are generally out, but womens' fashions change rapidly so don't take my word for it.
At interviews you want them to remember you not your suit;)

DagBoy Dec 4th 2003 1:34 pm

Hi

Vicky
I guess that partly depends on what you would be managing.

I work in IT here in Brisbane. In our office it is smart casual with Friday as dress down, so there is actually very little difference since the company ruled out T-shirts from the dress down list a while back - but you would only see jeans on a Friday.
Most of my work is done on customer sites, so I have to be more formal - most days smart trousers and a shirt and tie, but if the customer has dress down Friday then I will often dress down too - depending on the customer, my relationship with them, length of time on site, what I will be doing that day.
I have a wardrobe full of suits - most of which I have not worn in 2 years. I no longer buy them - just buy trousers that look like they might be from a suit. I got fed up carrying my jacket around and wearing it to walk into a customer then hanging it on a chair because it is too bloody hot to wear one.
If I had an important presentation to give to director level people or was visiting a customer for the first time I might wear a suit. When I had to do jobs in Sydney, Canberra and Adelaide I wore a suit - but then it was cooler when I was there.
I would wear a suit for an interview over here.
Hope that helps,

DagBoy

Simone Dec 4th 2003 1:49 pm

Thanks for all the info guys!

Well, I'll be fine, cos I have a black suit and a grey one. and I also have a black knee length skirt.

BUT, Pascal is a graphic designer (websites, brochures, packaging).
To work now he just wears jeans, t shirts, even just his adidas shoes.
Here in Holland it's all very casual.
I think his boss wears suits sometimes, but without tie.

So, does anybody know anything about the graphic design industry??? We are going to Perth....

The thing is, Pascal's never worn a suit in his life! NOt even at our wedding. He just had on neat stuff. And he looks silly in a suit too, because he's so short (about 1 m 72cm). When he was trying on suits, they were all to big!

AussieinLondon Dec 4th 2003 1:56 pm

Originally posted by Simone82
Thanks for all the info guys!

Well, I'll be fine, cos I have a black suit and a grey one. and I also have a black knee length skirt.

BUT, Pascal is a graphic designer (websites, brochures, packaging).
To work now he just wears jeans, t shirts, even just his adidas shoes.
Here in Holland it's all very casual.
I think his boss wears suits sometimes, but without tie.

So, does anybody know anything about the graphic design industry??? We are going to Perth....

The thing is, Pascal's never worn a suit in his life! NOt even at our wedding. He just had on neat stuff. And he looks silly in a suit too, because he's so short (about 1 m 72cm). When he was trying on suits, they were all to big!
In Oz, a graphics designer would be expected to be a little eccentric in his dress. If not, in fact, a raving homosexual perhaps. Some sort of funky compromise would suffice I'm sure.

Simone Dec 4th 2003 2:04 pm

In Oz, a graphics designer would be expected to be a little eccentric in his dress. If not, in fact, a raving homosexual perhaps. Some sort of funky compromise would suffice I'm sure.
:confused:

Well, he's not homosexual. Though he's definetly not a macho type either.

And not an eccentric dresser either....
I guess you could call it sporty casual. Well, just normal for a 25 year old guy!!

But I really can't believe there's no 'normal' graphical designers out there!!

WBB Dec 4th 2003 2:55 pm

:rolleyes: lol ;)

vickymills Dec 4th 2003 4:59 pm

better get some suits !!!

I'm a marketing manger in the manufacturing industry in west yorkshire, i wear a suit for interviews or very important presentations but the rest of the time smart casual with an ecentric / individual twist is what I'm in as it's easy to work like that at work and if you wear a suit all the time they think you're being posh and stuck up....

was sort of hoping Brisbane would be more casual, never mind it's nice to go shopping for new clothes.

jayr Dec 4th 2003 10:12 pm

Hi

Vicky

An ironed singlet should do for Brisbane;)

Pollyana Dec 4th 2003 10:20 pm

With thongs? Or is that going a bit overdressed?!!:p