British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Dream job here-or migrate to Perth?? Dilemma or what? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/dream-job-here-migrate-perth-dilemma-what-108405/)

micky May 18th 2002 9:58 pm

Dream job here-or migrate to Perth?? Dilemma or what?

Started the ball rolling Feb 2001 for migration to Perth as my family business collapsed. Wife is a nurse and thought - lets make a new start, better lifestyle & weather, especially for the kids too (4 of them).
At the same time of applying for migration I also applied to join the Fire Brigade. And guess what....I've been accepted and due to commence basic training next month.
Our Skilled Migration application was lodged last October '01.
So we hope to hear something quite soon with my wife's occupation being fast-tracked.

Question - What would you do if you were in the same predicament as us?

I have emailed the WA Fire Service to see if I can transfer and complete my probation in Perth as we were hoping to migrate in Jan '03 (start of the new school term). Awaiting a reply.
If I am unable to do this the question I need to ask myself is;
dream job - should I forget migrating and stay put or stuff the dream job and lets migrate hoping I find a good job over there.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jaj May 19th 2002 1:20 am

Re: Dream job here-or migrate to Perth?? Dilemma or what?

Hi Micky How long will UK Fire Service basic training take, and are you committed to
serve for a period with them afterwards?

One option you will have is to validate your visas in Australia with a holiday,
and then migrate proper when you are ready (within the 5 year validity period of
the visa - although it's inadvisable to leave things right up to the end of the 5
year period).

Make sure the WA Fire Service understand you'll be a permanent resident when you
arrive in Australia.

Jeremy

>On 18 May 2002 23:20:07 GMT, micky <[email protected]> wrote:

>Started the ball rolling Feb 2001 for migration to Perth as my family business
    >collapsed. Wife is a nurse and thought - lets make a new start, better lifestyle &
    >weather, especially for the kids too (4 of them). At the same time of applying for
    >migration I also applied to join the Fire Brigade. And guess what....I've been
    >accepted and due to commence basic training next month. Our Skilled Migration
    >application was lodged last October '01. So we hope to hear something quite soon
    >with my wife's occupation being fast-tracked.
    >
    >Question - What would you do if you were in the same predicament as us?
    >
    >I have emailed the WA Fire Service to see if I can transfer and complete my
    >probation in Perth as we were hoping to migrate in Jan '03 (start of the new school
    >term). Awaiting a reply. If I am unable to do this the question I need to ask myself
    >is; dream job - should I forget migrating and stay put or stuff the dream job and
    >lets migrate hoping I find a good job over there. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

jopaulss May 19th 2002 8:41 am

Hi Ya
I suppose you have to look at a number things if you dont validate your visa and thats that will age or something go against you if it fails here?Then would you be able to apply again with the same points. Children will get older and may cause problems.
Do you have anything to loose to go and validate them when they arrive like jaj has said. But all in all only you can make this decession but you have to be either 100 % to migrate and stuff everything here or you dont!!!!
Hope all goes well for you my husband has a good job ( bricklayer ) quite well paid for the area , but the thought of my children growing up here is a no no, so we are going .
Best of luck Joanne

Jez May 19th 2002 9:20 am

I may be able to help here, email me if you would after taking off the relevant bits
from the email address. Jez

"micky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Started the ball rolling Feb 2001 for migration to Perth as my family business
    > collapsed. Wife is a nurse and thought - lets make a new start, better lifestyle &
    > weather, especially for the kids too (4 of them). At the same time of applying for
    > migration I also applied to join the Fire Brigade. And guess what....I've been
    > accepted and due to commence basic training next month. Our Skilled Migration
    > application was lodged last October '01. So we hope to hear something quite soon
    > with my wife's occupation being fast-tracked.
    >
    > Question - What would you do if you were in the same predicament as us?
    >
    > I have emailed the WA Fire Service to see if I can transfer and complete my
    > probation in Perth as we were hoping to migrate in Jan '03 (start of the new school
    > term). Awaiting a reply. If I am unable to do this the question I need to ask
    > myself is; dream job - should I forget migrating and stay put or stuff the dream
    > job and lets migrate hoping I find a good job over there. Any thoughts would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

micky May 19th 2002 9:35 am

Jez,
Sorry, I dont know/understand how to get your email address.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Michael

micky May 19th 2002 9:38 am

Jaj,
Scottish Fire service - 12 weeks basic training and 2 years probationary period.
WA Fire service - 1 year probationary period only.
I emailed WA Fire service and explained all this and also that it is a PR Visa. Awaiting reply.

Cheers, Michael

sophia May 19th 2002 10:46 am

Hi Mickey

oooooh, what a dilemma indeed. It's such a personal thing, and such a BIG thing, that I don't see how we can help you make that decision.

I think you need to think about your future, both here and in Oz and see which one you can see youself living.

I mean, the thing that swayed me was my little boy is 2 and I keep thinking how much worse things in the UK have got, just in my lifetime...how much worse is it going to be in 15 years time when my son is wanting to start going out to the pub, clubs etc?

I know! I know! Oz is not a bed of roses, but a country 30 times the size of the UK with less than a third of the population of the UK seems like a much safer bet than waiting to see who is going to kick off the next riot over here.

If you could transfer to WA fire brigade, surely thats the best compromise? Good luck whatever you decide.

love sophia x