Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

dreaded phonecall...

dreaded phonecall...

Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:04 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: dreaded phonecall...

Hope things work out well for you and your mum. It's one of those things that goes through your mind when you decide to move away, but hope that you'll never have to deal with.
Only you can know what's right for you. No one can judge you for it.

Take care and best of luck.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

southstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nice

Hi Sue
I haven't posted for ages but really want you to get as many good wishes as possible right now. Your family will always come first - and these things are sent to try us but at the end of the day you need to emigrate with no emotional baggage and regrets. Hope your mum improves quickly.
Sue
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:08 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Sue...so sorry to read about your 'dreaded phonecall'

As others have said, at least you're on the right side of the world and can be there & see her.

We're all thinking of you & send all the best wishes we can for your mum's speedy recovery.

Petra

Ps. Don't forget about YOU
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
well, i got one yesterday. was on the bus taking the kids home from school when my mums gp rang - she had collapsed in the surgery and was on her way to a and e. when i got there they had her in resus.
basically her lungs and heart are knackered cos of 50 odd years of heavy smoking.....she's now going to need oxygen at home and nursing input cos she wont be able to manage on her own.

kinda puts things in a different light now....dunno what we will do migration wise, cos im her main carer in the family anyway, it will be put on me to see to her. not that i mind of course......just puts a different slant on things.

after all the setbacks we have had with our plans to emigrate over the last 2 or 3 years i really thought this year was going to be "it". just shows you how wrong you can be.

hi TWT, I haven't posted for a while but i really understand where you are coming from. We had the house up for sale in June '05, removal quotes and ready to go....when my mum ended up very suddenly and unexpectedly in hospital - critically ill Aug '05. My mum has M.S. and my dad (main carer) had to have a hernia op which required 6 weeks rest, So me and my 2 sisters (oh, and my dad) decided respite care was the best option, after all it was short term - 6 weeks out of her life. Well.........condition went dramatically downhill after 4 weeks into resbite. My siste rand I, unhappy with resident GP's diagnosis, took her to local hospital where she was diagnosed with hypothermia (temp 31oC) and bilateral pneumonia. Ended up in ICU venilated for 2 weeks with the probability she would not survive due to her MS.
So......house taken off the market immediately - how the f*** could i emigrate just now.
To cut a long story short, she did survive and we are taking things further with this 'nursing home'.
I am now at the stage where my son is taking ogrades here in May and I have to validate by March. It will be a very expensive holiday for 6 of us!!!!Things are meant to happen for a reason - I wasn't meant to be in Perth by last September as planned - just as well the house didn't sell or we'd have been up shit creek.

Sorry for rabbiting on. I'm off to Benidorm in the morning for 3 nights as i had abit of a shit year '05.

So cheers in advance to you all.

Shona xxxxxx
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:35 am

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
well, i got one yesterday. was on the bus taking the kids home from school when my mums gp rang - she had collapsed in the surgery and was on her way to a and e. when i got there they had her in resus.
basically her lungs and heart are knackered cos of 50 odd years of heavy smoking.....she's now going to need oxygen at home and nursing input cos she wont be able to manage on her own.

kinda puts things in a different light now....dunno what we will do migration wise, cos im her main carer in the family anyway, it will be put on me to see to her. not that i mind of course......just puts a different slant on things.

after all the setbacks we have had with our plans to emigrate over the last 2 or 3 years i really thought this year was going to be "it". just shows you how wrong you can be.
K sent x
Old Jan 11th 2006, 11:35 am
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sue

Sorry about your news, its so difficult when things like this happen. Try to stay strong and look after yourself too!!

Hugs sent, and give your mum my best wishes

Ang x
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

hi sue, im so sorry to hear about your mum. But as others have said, when your mum is more stable, maybe you could get your family together and get them to help with your mum, so that you can fulfil your dream of emigrating.
Wishing you love and hugs

Trish
xx
Old Jan 11th 2006, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: dreaded phonecall...

Originally Posted by jimtrish
hi sue, im so sorry to hear about your mum. But as others have said, when your mum is more stable, maybe you could get your family together and get them to help with your mum, so that you can fulfil your dream of emigrating.
Wishing you love and hugs

Trish
xx
Glad to hear your mum is improving best wishes Janet
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

scottie72 will become famous soon enoughscottie72 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by FRAYNE
Glad to hear your mum is improving best wishes Janet
sorry too hear about your mum hope she gets well soon,oz will always be there chin up
Scottie&alison