Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The downside of my trip to the UK

The downside of my trip to the UK

Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default The downside of my trip to the UK

Having nostalgic moment of UK holiday with tin of hula hoops, crunching away break off huge chunk of tooth, emergency trip to dentist, filling it they discover tooth next to it is 'unrestorable' and I now have a quote for $2262 of dental work on 2 teeth.

Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

xLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nice
Default Re: The downside of my trip to the UK

Bloody expensive tin of Hula Hoops!!!!!!
Originally Posted by jad n rich
Having nostalgic moment of UK holiday with tin of hula hoops, crunching away break off huge chunk of tooth, emergency trip to dentist, filling it they discover tooth next to it is 'unrestorable' and I now have a quote for $2262 of dental work on 2 teeth.

Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Robbing swines.
UK dentists...all is forgiven.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your bad news, having to have the work done is painfull enough without a $2,000+ bill at the end of it.

Due to years of being a victim of a UK National Health dentists, back in the days when the patient paid very little and the dentist was paid by amount of work he performed, I'm now in need of extensive restoration work.

I would need to take out a mortgage to pay for the work in Australia, so I'm probably going to have the work done in the Phillipines for less than 20% of the cost of having the work done here. That includes air fares and accommodation.

Best of luck with the rest of your treatment.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're supposed to eat the Hula Hoops not the tin Is it worth having anything done to the 'unrestorable' one? Is it in view, if not just have them remove it and be done. Bloody silly money.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
Sorry to hear your bad news, having to have the work done is painfull enough without a $2,000+ bill at the end of it.

Due to years of being a victim of a UK National Health dentists, back in the days when the patient paid very little and the dentist was paid by amount of work he performed, I'm now in need of extensive restoration work.

I would need to take out a mortgage to pay for the work in Australia, so I'm probably going to have the work done in the Phillipines for less than 20% of the cost of having the work done here. That includes air fares and accommodation.

I'd do as much research as possible about the standard of work they do in the Phillipines. Google it and see if there are any horror stories.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

When did Hula-Hoops start coming in a tin!?!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
She's confusing hula-hoops with alphabettispaghetti . .
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Christmas, star shaped hula hoops, quid a tin and 2 grand for the damage.

Have to get work done its the choppers just to the side of the front ones looks like the private insurance will cover about a grand of it, something I guess.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I'd do as much research as possible about the standard of work they do in the Phillipines. Google it and see if there are any horror stories.
Thanks for the 'heads-up' nige, but I've done an awful lot of research and I'm very happy with the mob I intend to use. Personal recomendation from two family members who were advised to use this dental practice by people who had also used their services.

The family members who used this service both work at Aukland ( NZ ), hospital with one of them in a very senior position. They advise me that many of the hospital staff use this service and to date I have had no 'first hand' reports of any "horror stories". Though if you want to hear a few, just ask me about my experiences at the hands of Australian and UK dentists

Searching for "Horror stories" about dentists will probably result in hundreds of thousands of results and I doubt that the Phillipino's will be over represented.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino

Thailand is another option - and it's cheaper to get to.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I had mixed results with UK dentists - both NHS and private.

I've had very good results with Australian dentists - although they are expensive.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I had mixed results with UK dentists - both NHS and private.

I've had very good results with Australian dentists - although they are expensive.
I thought we had good service from our UK dentist......... until we arrived in Aus and the dentist pointed out the problems with the girls teeth If I had been paying money over the counter to the UK dentist I'd have flown back and sued him. In our case, I'd rather be paying for good treatment than getting crap treatment 'free'
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Give me an ozzie dentist anytime.
Cannot believe the standard of their dentisty. Had quite a few fillings taken out as they were considered poor quality and replaced with white fillings. Look brill. Plus the polishes they give are out of this world - my teeth are whiter,look a lot healthier.
With extras cover its doesnt cost the earth.
Added bonus that my dentist is the spitting image of George Clooney
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:25 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

I've had absolutely shocking dental work for most of my life thanks to the irish health system. I had a 'patch 'em up' dentist who sent his kids to Uni by doing maintenance for years rather than actually treat the underlying problems. I still spend on average £2000 a year in the UK and I still don't have what you'd call nice teeth! So many need to be replaced with crowns etc, I'm hoping insurance in Oz will cover some of it although fannying off to the Phillipines to go to the dentist sounds right up my street... (there's no smiley with fillings....)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.